Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2017, 10:07 PM   #1
DasCamel
Registered Member

Thinking about going full frame.

Nikon D750 used for around $1100.

But, all my lenses are effectively useless. How much more expensive are full frame lenses? Really have no idea.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

First, why do you want to go FF? What lenses do you have now? What body?

Unread 05/24/2017, 09:03 PM   #3
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
First, why do you want to go FF? What lenses do you have now? What body?
Currently have a d40x. Have a telephoto and macro along with the default lens.

Hi quality video is lacking along with more modern features. Figure if I'm upgrading go a little higher end.
I'm getting more into outdoor photography and starting to take some classes. I did some research and the cost isn't too prohibitive.
Ordered the camera last night, used with low shutter count.
Anyways, having the kids inherit the d40x and go from there. Good back up regardless.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
Unread 05/25/2017, 12:52 PM   #4
FishN00b83
Registered Member

You should of waited a little longer. Nikon is about to refresh the FF lineup with a 820. You would of been able to pick up a GREAT D810 for the same amount of even cheaper than what you paid for the 750.

Usually when people make the jump to FF they buy the glass first and use it on the crop, so when you have the new body you dont run into your situation. Nikon FF cameras has a DX mode, but it crops the FF to the 1.5 size and really makes the camera a DX, which really defeats the purpose of spending all the money on a FF body.

As far as the glass itself its really the same cost, good glass is going to be more money, and again if you have the nice body, you want to have the nicer lenses. You can use any lens on a crop Nikon, but you can only use FF lenses on a FX camera (unless you set it to crop mode).

I would get a AF-S 50mm f/1.8 just to be able to use the camera. It's one of the cheaper FX lenses that will run you about 250-275 new and you'll be able to see the difference in quality against the crop sensor. If you're looking for a tele lens the Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR is GREAT, the f/2.8 has weaker VR but and double the price, but double the light. The Tamron 70-300 VC is good if you're on a budget.

I prefer primes over zooms and I am planning on going FF so I started buying some lenses. When I'm done I'll have the Nikon 20mm f1/8, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 85mm f1.8, and the Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR

Unread 05/25/2017, 05:16 PM   #5
DasCamel
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips! When are they releasing the new line?

Unread 07/17/2017, 11:20 PM   #6
DasCamel
Registered Member

Loving the camera guys. Got a couple great lenses recently and been having a blast learning.

Promise fish photos once I learn more.

Unread 07/24/2017, 09:42 PM   #7
Nixy
Registered Member

I'm going the opposite way. I was FF Canon for years but several years ago I started having eye trouble and neuropathy issues due to diabetes. My balance isn't always the greatest and the heavy camera and lenses were killing me. I went mirrorless a few years ago and now have the Olympus EM1 Mark II and love it! Good glass is always going to be expensive but I have found the prices a bit more manageable with mirrorless. I have a lovely 45 mm prime 1.8 that was less than $500! The lenses and equipment are lighter for me and easier for me to handle. I have a pet photography business and I'm always on the move.

Invest in a good macro lens for your aquarium and I look forward to seeing your images!

"Just sitting and watching my tank like it's a TV."

Current Tank Info: 16G Nano Reef. Started 7-22-2017
Nixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 10:40 PM   #8
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy View Post
I'm going the opposite way. I was FF Canon for years but several years ago I started having eye trouble and neuropathy issues due to diabetes. My balance isn't always the greatest and the heavy camera and lenses were killing me. I went mirrorless a few years ago and now have the Olympus EM1 Mark II and love it! Good glass is always going to be expensive but I have found the prices a bit more manageable with mirrorless. I have a lovely 45 mm prime 1.8 that was less than $500! The lenses and equipment are lighter for me and easier for me to handle. I have a pet photography business and I'm always on the move.

Invest in a good macro lens for your aquarium and I look forward to seeing your images!
Different reasoning, but I was also a long time Canon FF shooter. I switched to Sony A6300. Better dynamic range and my camera bag lost 13 lbs.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 05:18 AM   #9
Nixy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
Different reasoning, but I was also a long time Canon FF shooter. I switched to Sony A6300. Better dynamic range and my camera bag lost 13 lbs.

Isn't it amazing how much lighter your gear is and especially how much lighter the lenses are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 08/12/2017, 12:45 PM   #10
DasCamel
Registered Member

What are you guys carrying around? I pick a task, a lens and go mess around. Bought a camera backpack for hikes. Mirrorless is interesting, already have my phone for 90% of tasks.

So for the biggest thing I've noticed is the amount of light captured is incredible. Want to find a nice clear dark area and take some night time sky shots now.

Unread 08/12/2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Nixy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
What are you guys carrying around? I pick a task, a lens and go mess around. Bought a camera backpack for hikes. Mirrorless is interesting, already have my phone for 90% of tasks.

So for the biggest thing I've noticed is the amount of light captured is incredible. Want to find a nice clear dark area and take some night time sky shots now.

When I first went mirrorless I got a LUMIX G5 and then a LUMIX GH3. I started buying Panasonic/Leica and Olympus/Zuiko lenses because they are interchangeable with these 2 brands. I was waiting for the LUMIX GH5 to come out earlier this year and I was at a photography convention and started playing with Olympus. I ended up getting the Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II. I LOVE it!!! And I can use all the lenses I have accumulated these past years. It's an amazing little thing. I shoot pet photography as my second job and it does a Beautiful job. I just recently added a 60mm macro lens to my lineup so I can take shots of my tank. (Just started tank 3 weeks ago).

I have also done Astro photography and star trails and the em1MII has a function called live composite. So cool! I don't have to take 100+ images of the sky and stack them if I'm doing star trails. The image is created in camera. You should read about it.

I'm babbling!

I love the lightness and flexibility of the mirrorless especially when I'm out and about.

At this point nothing is going to beat the image quality of a full frame BUT things are getting really close and not as discernible to most people.

Unread 08/16/2017, 12:54 PM   #12
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

I do mostly Landscape photography with a few car shows and motorcycles thrown in here and there. I too thought about the jump to FF until I took a look at my lenses and then added up selling off the DX format ones to replace and it just wasn't worth it for me.

If it were a living maybe I'd revisit the idea but it's a self paying hobby at this point.

I went from the D40 to the D3200 and eventually the D5100 and have now finally settled on the D7100. My only pet peeve is with wide angle lenses. Unless you're willing to pay a price for pro quality you'll get a mediocre lens at best at least with Nikon's.

At some point I would love to get a 105mm for macro but right now it's not in the budget and my Nikkor 40mm macro is meh at best.

I usually take one or two lenses, the body and maybe a filter or two. Being minimalistic has it's advantages and knowing what I'm going to shoot ahead of time helps with the planning. My go to lens is a Tamron 24-70 that I got for a real deal that I would've been crazy to pass up.
Always having a remote shutter on hand is a huge plus too.

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 06:54 PM   #13
Misled
RC Mod

If you want a wide lens for a crop body, look at the Tokina AT-X Pro 116 f2.8.

Unread 08/16/2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Dline Bullyz
Registered Member

I've owned Nikon, Canon and now Sony fullframe cameras. Sony is the best by leaps and bounds..... Look at the A7ii, A7sii or A7rii. These are all great full frame cameras.

Dline Bullyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 10:21 AM   #15
sh4rkbyt3
Registered Member

Thanks Misled I do have that 11-16 Tokina that I recently picked up and it's not a bad lens but as with most wides I've seen so far the clarity still leaves something to be desired.

I'll try to work with it some more but I think it's inherent with these lenses.

sh4rkbyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 06:08 PM   #16
DasCamel
Registered Member

Learning lol. Full manual with RAW adjustments. Tank is a little over 8 months old.

Last edited by DasCamel; 08/27/2017 at 06:28 PM.
Unread 09/17/2017, 10:44 AM   #17
illumnae
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy View Post
When I first went mirrorless I got a LUMIX G5 and then a LUMIX GH3. I started buying Panasonic/Leica and Olympus/Zuiko lenses because they are interchangeable with these 2 brands. I was waiting for the LUMIX GH5 to come out earlier this year and I was at a photography convention and started playing with Olympus. I ended up getting the Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II. I LOVE it!!! And I can use all the lenses I have accumulated these past years. It's an amazing little thing. I shoot pet photography as my second job and it does a Beautiful job. I just recently added a 60mm macro lens to my lineup so I can take shots of my tank. (Just started tank 3 weeks ago).

I have also done Astro photography and star trails and the em1MII has a function called live composite. So cool! I don't have to take 100+ images of the sky and stack them if I'm doing star trails. The image is created in camera. You should read about it.

I'm babbling!

I love the lightness and flexibility of the mirrorless especially when I'm out and about.

At this point nothing is going to beat the image quality of a full frame BUT things are getting really close and not as discernible to most people.

I just sold all my Canon gear and got myself the Olympus EM 1 mark ii. What lenses do you recommend for pet photography? My wife has the EM 10 and we would like to make a hobby out of photographing our 2 year old Corgi

For aquarium shooting we have the 12-40 f2.8 and the 60mm macro.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 12:19 PM   #18
Nixy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
I just sold all my Canon gear and got myself the Olympus EM 1 mark ii. What lenses do you recommend for pet photography? My wife has the EM 10 and we would like to make a hobby out of photographing our 2 year old Corgi

For aquarium shooting we have the 12-40 f2.8 and the 60mm macro.
I think you will be thrilled with the camera. It is absolutely amazing! You have so many lens choices since you can use Olympus, Zuiko and Panasonic.

Since I started with Lumix, the lenses I use the most are my panasonic ones. My favorites (for pet photography and almost all subjects), is my Panny 12-35 f2.8 and my Panny 35-100 F2.8. Incredible lenses!

With your Oly, you could get the zuiko 12-40 f2.8 and the 40-150 f2.8 and you would be covered for so many things! These are both fabulous lenses. One is under $1,000 and one is just over $1,000. Yes, that's a lot of money but if you look at Nikon or Canon and what they charge for a 2.8, it would be double.

Recently I bought the Olympus 60 mm macro and I have been practicing focus stacking with my tank. Here is one I took of my palys.

coral nix.jpg

Unread 09/22/2017, 07:08 AM   #19
illumnae
Registered Member

Thank you! I have the 12-40 as it came with my EM1MII as a kit. I ended up getting the 25 f1.2 for my wife to photograph our dog and she's loving it! I also have the 60 macro already from my wife's collection. Will start practicing soon

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote