Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Josephortiz89
Registered Member

Unhappy Pump and Overflow box not maintaining levels

Hello, I am fairly new to the saltwater tank setup, recently bought a hang on back overflow box, tried a few different plumbing methods. Currently have 1 1/4” hose running into my sump. For a pump I’m running a Rio 2100 rated at about 680 gph. The problem I’m having is the pump pumping too much water into the tank, draining the sump faster than the overflow box can fill it. I am only running a 58 gallon aquarium. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? Should I add a ball valve to adjust the flow into the aquarium? Thanks.

Josephortiz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 12:06 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What overflow box specifically?

But lets start simple..
Assuming your overflow box is capable of keeping up with the pump (and with a pump of 680gph that shouldn't be too hard really) then you need to know the following..

During startup its should be fully expected that the water level in the sump will drop until the return/overflow system is properly filled and sufficiently draining as it should..
Then the level should stabilize..
Typically one would either overfill the sumps return section by quite a bit (sometimes it could be that the sump is fully filled with water just a few inches from the top)..
Or you would have enough extra water on hand to start pouring water into the sump until the water level stabilizes..

Quite often the system may startup and the pump will just start sucking air as the water level has dropped.. At that point you can keep putting water in to get everything going..

So.. Have you not gotten to the point where the system has sufficient water as I discussed above?
If so get to that point where the water level is stable.. Then we can go from there..

Or your overflow box is insufficient for your pump (could be but not too likely based on the pump you are using)
I suspect though that you just don't have enough water in the system and can't even start it up properly yet..

Unread 07/10/2018, 12:28 PM   #3
reefling
Registered Member

Drill the tank and make it an internal box. Hang in back is garbage. 58g do not have tempered backs for oceanic.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

reefling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, plumbing, problem, pump, sump