Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2013, 09:14 PM   #1
BIGD0G
Registered Member

Probes

I have build my sump and was planning to add a small tray to hold probes. The only problem is since my system is not up and running yet I do not have any probes, just planning for the future. As such I have 2 questions about them.

1. What is the diameter of the probes? I plan to drill a hole in the tray to hold them and put a plastic screw in from the side to hold the probe in place just not sure how large to make the probe hole.

2. How many probe holes do I need to make? I was thinking of 4 but not sure if that is enough or not. I know it all depends on what you want to monitor but at this point I do not know. I am only aware of a temp prob and ph at this point but suspect there are others that I am not aware of so want to have the ability to add them in the furture if needed.

Thanks for the help.

BIGD0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2013, 09:18 PM   #2
rott
Head zoo keeper

probe sellers or manufacture website should help you out

rott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2013, 06:34 AM   #3
10reefman
Registered Member

1/2 inch hole 4 is good .

10reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2013, 09:16 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

I built my sump with built in probe holders. In the end, I did not use them. Instead I used the magnetic mount ones like the ones in the link below. It allowed for more flexibility in where I mounted them and allowed me to adjust their height in the water based on my desired sump water level. As such, I would suggest you strongly giving these consideration as they work great and provide much more flexibility than fixed mount probe holders.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps_M...TEMOAC-vi.html

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote