Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2007, 10:14 PM   #1
seafood luver
Registered Member

Bio-Cube alternate bio-chamber media suggestions

I'm going to remove the bio-balls out of the bio-cube and was wondering if anyone else has done this and what did they replace them with?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 300g. FOWLR & 150XH REEF
seafood luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2007, 06:43 AM   #2
3fins
Registered Member

People change the bio balls and put rock ruble into it. I have a bio cube and i havnt reaplaced them YET. but im going to...hope that helps

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
3fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2007, 11:54 AM   #3
rodstar
Registered Member

I have a BioCube 14g and have been very happy with it. I have only been "live" for 6 weeks, but it is a great tank.

Here are my "mods". I call them Chambers 1,2,3 from right to left following the flow of the water.

Chamber 1: Removed BC filter. Added ChemiPure, Seagen and Purigel. Added 50w submersible heater.

Chamber 2: Scraped black paint off the back of this chamber and have a small light on timer taped on the back with electrical tape. (Will change this out when I get a better light and do a more permanent mounting.) Removed bioballs completely. Added about 2lbs of LR rubble and put chaeto on top. The light is back there (on an opposite schedule as my main lights) to provide light to the chaeto for growth. Add a small "handful" of polyfil floss that rests on the top of this chamber to catch the garbage.

Chamber 3: Removed the sponge at the bottom and replaced it with more polyfil and a piece of LR rubble to keep it from floating up.

The polyfil is from Walmart (or any store that sells pillow stuffing). It is very cheap and I replace it every 3-4 days.

I have done NO other mods to date. I may upgrade the powerhead and add a HydorFlo at some point to get some more flow dispersement, but not rushing into that. I had added the hydorflo but took it off because it retricts flow without a larger pump.

For reference, I currently have 12lbs of LR, plus 2lbs in the back. I have about 20lbs of CaribSea sand plus 1lb from my lfs that had all the cool worms and copepods in it.

Also have:
6 hermits
12 snails (various types)
1 blue/green chromis
2 false percula clowns
1 pulsing xenia
1 bt anemone (as a test)

Not sure about keeping the anemone, but the LFS offered to take it back if he doesn't work out. He's been in 24 hours.

Wanted to ask about the copepods. I had lots the first couple of days, but my blue chromis ate em all... Shoudl I get more or not worry about it?

rodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2007, 04:25 PM   #4
3fins
Registered Member

we..if its a 14 and u have 1...it should be fine. Its also fine to add one more ( im guessing its fine to get one more) its realy a matter of prefrence..

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
3fins is offline   Reply With Quote