Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 06/24/2020, 08:57 PM   #1
ValhallaReef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 4
Plumming only ONE PUMP to do EVERYTHING!!??!!

I am working on the plumming plans for a new 160 gal (220 gal estimated total system), and I got the idea of having ONE pump do everything.

Basically it would be the return AND I would plum off the discarge to send needed water to all auxiliary systems. Reactors. Skimmer. Return. Refugium. Auto top off (would need a solenoid valve). Algee Scrubber.

All off one external return pump and gate valves to control the flow.

Has anyone ever seen this?
Anything I should consider? Or be concerned about?

Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


ValhallaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2020, 02:54 AM   #2
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1
 
Member No. 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rehoboth, MA
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValhallaReef View Post
I am working on the plumming plans for a new 160 gal (220 gal estimated total system), and I got the idea of having ONE pump do everything.

Basically it would be the return AND I would plum off the discarge to send needed water to all auxiliary systems. Reactors. Skimmer. Return. Refugium. Auto top off (would need a solenoid valve). Algee Scrubber.

All off one external return pump and gate valves to control the flow.

Has anyone ever seen this?
Anything I should consider? Or be concerned about?

Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Very possible! People do it all the time.
You mentioned ATO. How would that work? An ATO replaces evaporated water with RODI water. The water from the return is tank water.

Look here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=retu...hrome&ie=UTF-8


__________________
Pete
"I never make mistakes...
I thought I did once, but I was wrong"

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member
 
Vinny Kreyling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Miller Place, NY
Posts: 6,606
No problem, just get a pump capable of handling the extra head pressure.
IF you are planning on a DC model you will have to oversize the pump, they don't like head pressure. There are 2 exceptions but $$$$.


__________________
250 gallon mixed reef, 2 Reefbreeder's Photon V 2, RD 3 Speedy 80 Watt, DAS EX-3 Skimmer, MTC mini cal, 2-3/4" Sea Swirls, Aquacontroller & 6 Tunze pumps.
Vinny Kreyling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2020, 11:39 AM   #4
ValhallaReef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
No problem, just get a pump capable of handling the extra head pressure.
IF you are planning on a DC model you will have to oversize the pump, they don't like head pressure. There are 2 exceptions but $$$$.
I am wanting to go with a single external pump. The pressure was my largest concern.

Any good way to calculate the flow losses? So I know how much extra flow I need?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk


ValhallaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member
 
Vinny Kreyling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Miller Place, NY
Posts: 6,606
On the HOME page here there is a head loss calculator.
Most pumps will have a head pressure chart for head loss. You might have to do a search on the mfg. page.


__________________
250 gallon mixed reef, 2 Reefbreeder's Photon V 2, RD 3 Speedy 80 Watt, DAS EX-3 Skimmer, MTC mini cal, 2-3/4" Sea Swirls, Aquacontroller & 6 Tunze pumps.
Vinny Kreyling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2020, 06:29 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod
 
Sk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 34,024
Blog Entries: 55
Your large return pump is connected to or sits in your sump. Your refugium is part of your sump. Your skimmer also sits in a chamber of your sump. Your ATO will have a pump that feeds water up to the sump. You basically have 3 pumps: the little one feeding the ATO system, the one inside your skimmer driving its bubbles, and your big return pump. You'll also find a 'mixing pump' useful to hasten salt water production: a small Tunze is good for that.


__________________
Sk8r

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, chromis, royal gramma basslet, tailspot blenny, ocellaris clown, yellow watchman, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2020, 09:42 AM   #7
madadi
ReefOG
 
madadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morton grove, IL
Posts: 3,975
In my experience trying to "simplify" and use less pumps has resulted in not simplifying at all. What happens is that flow rates change over time. Reactors build up pressure for example and valves get clogged. this results in flow rates to change to different components driving you crazy and instability in your system. Calcium reactors and skimmers work best with consistent flow rates in my opinion. Media reactors have a specific flow range needed or all your media will be ground to a dust and blown in the tank. I tried it, i woudn't do it again in future builds. Just my opinion.


__________________
-~adrian~-

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
madadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2020, 11:17 AM   #8
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em
 
reefteaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: S FL
Posts: 310
Any single point of failure isnít the best idea in my opinion. Iíve been using 2 return pumps for years to avoid a potential crash, especially since Iím away from home a lot.


reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2020, 11:29 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member
 
billdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grove City, Ohio
Posts: 10,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by madadi View Post
In my experience trying to "simplify" and use less pumps has resulted in not simplifying at all. What happens is that flow rates change over time. Reactors build up pressure for example and valves get clogged. this results in flow rates to change to different components driving you crazy and instability in your system. Calcium reactors and skimmers work best with consistent flow rates in my opinion. Media reactors have a specific flow range needed or all your media will be ground to a dust and blown in the tank. I tried it, i woudn't do it again in future builds. Just my opinion.
I've done it all with just one pump and won't do it again, for the very same reasons. IMHO, using a few small pumps for reactors works much better long term.

In addition, unless you keep a spare (I had 2 DARTS) to swap out, when your single pump goes out the whole tank stops.


__________________
I'll try to be nice if you try to be smarter!
I can't help that I grow older, but you can't make me grow up!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2020, 10:05 PM   #10
laverda
Registered Member
 
laverda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 6,826
Another way to feed things is off the drain lines to your sump. This is how I feed most things like you listed. You will not need as large a pump saving money on the pump and electricity long term. It costs money to pump water to 6í or higher. Gravity is free.


__________________
240G mixed reef, 29G SPS/LPS clam tank, 50G mixed reef

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.