Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/06/2007, 09:06 AM   #26
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
thank you for this thread this company has gone to the trouble to design an all new light we should give it a fair honest shake
what happens now rebox and send back to the company or are you actually going to plug it in
was 359 your totall cost after shipping?
*edit*

After reading my reply I noticed it came off rude. Sorry...

I will use the fixture and post more pics as I get it set up. I waited until Aquatraders offered free shipping, so the light was $359 to my door.
-J

Unread 02/06/2007, 09:22 AM   #27
GSMguy
Registered Member

dont be rude tsk tsk
just kidding i really just want to know what you said first
was my post rude?
yea i saw these things the day they came out on the website went with a 2x250 HQI from aquamedic instead
i would love to see it on the tank or at least turned on any chance of more pics also the mounting legs would be cool to see

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 02/06/2007, 09:43 AM   #28
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
dont be rude tsk tsk
just kidding i really just want to know what you said first
was my post rude?
yea i saw these things the day they came out on the website went with a 2x250 HQI from aquamedic instead
i would love to see it on the tank or at least turned on any chance of more pics also the mounting legs would be cool to see
It was more terse than rude, but I didn't want to be taken the wrong way. I'll have pics of the light on the tank this evening probably. I reallly want to hang this succer, but i'll try to get you some pics of the legs.

Unread 02/06/2007, 09:58 AM   #29
GSMguy
Registered Member

cant wait thanks for all the work with the thread

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 02/06/2007, 11:29 AM   #30
T-T-Trigger
Premium Member

Quote:
this company has gone to the trouble to design an all new light

More like this company has gone to the trouble of using someone else's design for a light (thank you coralife) that should perform better.

I am glad someone is doing a thorough analysis, thanks for putting in the time and effort.

Unread 02/06/2007, 11:43 AM   #31
GSMguy
Registered Member

coralife sells a similar light but this did not come from coralifes factory and coralife has magnetic ballasts
i guess its the same, but maristar, and aquamedic sell the same thing so its kind of industry standard... right??

Unread 02/06/2007, 11:47 AM   #32
UCanDoIt
Moved On

I think that trigger was implying that many things made in China are copycats, so the manufacturer for these lights may have been a copying Coralife's design. Am I misreading your post?

Unread 02/06/2007, 11:57 AM   #33
naldopr
Registered Member

PHOTOS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Unread 02/06/2007, 12:28 PM   #34
Joshua1023
Registered Member

I'm subscribed and holding my breath.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl tank,Coralife 14K MH lights,2 Current dual daylight/actinic 40 watt fixtures, tidepool sump,Coralife SS 220 protein skimmer,six inch sand bed w/ plenum, Current Prime Tower 1/3 hp Chiller,RedSea ozonizer w/ orp
Unread 02/06/2007, 12:47 PM   #35
BurntOutReefer
Registered Member

Not UL listed...
oh well..that means no buy for me at least.......
I'll spend the extra $$ and be able to sleep at night knowing my house wont burn down.....

Unread 02/06/2007, 01:31 PM   #36
noodles9987
Registered Member

Hey burntoutreefer,

Alot of stuff that you buy isn't UL listed. Check before you buy, because you'd be surprised at how much stuff isn't UL listed/approved. If your ordering on line, ask the vendor to verify this before you purchase (assuming this is important to you).

I also bought an Odyssea unit a few months ago from aquatraders. I disassembled and reassembled my unit, checking all wires. I also replaced the ballasts before using the unit. I purchased an aquamedic electronic dual 150 watt mh ballast from custom aquatics for 115.00. and, I purchased a dual pc ballast from hello lights. I think it cost 22.00.

I was very happy with the build of my unit. the thing has worked flawlessly since day 1. Although there are no guarantees with any ballast, I felt better about swapping the original out with the aquamedic unit. And, as you all know, you can't beat the price.

Unread 02/06/2007, 01:34 PM   #37
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noodles9987
Hey burntoutreefer,

Alot of stuff that you buy isn't UL listed. Check before you buy, because you'd be surprised at how much stuff isn't UL listed/approved. If your ordering on line, ask the vendor to verify this before you purchase (assuming this is important to you).
Well put. Not to mention that this light is 100% safer than many of the DIY retro's I've seen on this board. Anyone with some screws, a screw gun and masking tape can install a UL ballast into a hood. The UL doesn't mean it's a safe install.

-J

Unread 02/06/2007, 01:40 PM   #38
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noodles9987
Hey burntoutreefer,

I also bought an Odyssea unit a few months ago from aquatraders. I disassembled and reassembled my unit, checking all wires. I also replaced the ballasts before using the unit. I purchased an aquamedic electronic dual 150 watt mh ballast from custom aquatics for 115.00. and, I purchased a dual pc ballast from hello lights. I think it cost 22.00.

I was very happy with the build of my unit. the thing has worked flawlessly since day 1. Although there are no guarantees with any ballast, I felt better about swapping the original out with the aquamedic unit. And, as you all know, you can't beat the price.
why not just buy the aquamedic light

Unread 02/06/2007, 02:23 PM   #39
Jorgens
Registered Member

AYE!! I need a 72" job as well. My wife would be thrilled if I can cut some costs. Finally a smart guy disecting the thing. please keep us posted. Your going to get a good following on this one!!

Quote:
Originally posted by carlso63
It will burn your house down!

It will burn your house down!

(Hey, somebody had to be the first to say it )

Actually, I am curious, too as I am currently in need of a 72" MH combo setup for my 125g and would love to be able to get their 'new' electronic version 1130w (3 X 250 HQI + PCs) fixture as it is about 45% less $$$ than any other one I have seen yet...

Please keep us all posted - and Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: 180g Acrylic, mixed reef, 55 fuge,DSB,
Unread 02/06/2007, 03:28 PM   #40
akaatomic
Registered Member

I bought one of these as well. It's being delivered tomorrow. I'll chime in with my experience.

Unread 02/06/2007, 06:46 PM   #41
dz6t
Registered Member

Yes, I saw the picture and the inside of the ballast DOES NOT look like an electronic ballast or any electronic ballast sold on the market like Icecap etc. It looks like a good old magnetic ballast.

Unread 02/06/2007, 08:25 PM   #42
drives300
Premium Member

I agree UL listing means jack. There were coralife timers catching on fire that were UL listed as well as several TVs out there. If these lights applied for UL listing they would most likely pass. UL is a short term safety test. I was a little hesitant to but an oddysea based on the past reputation. I have been hearing some good things about last years models and I hope this years models seem even better. I happen to be pro China unlike most of you as I am an owner of China Mobile stock. The more the country prospers the more I do.

amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon,reef octopus nw150, 2 oceanflow mods, 2x 250w 10k mh, phos reactor
Unread 02/06/2007, 08:25 PM   #43
drives300
Premium Member

I agree UL listing means jack. There were coralife timers catching on fire that were UL listed as well as several TVs out there. If these lights applied for UL listing they would most likely pass. UL is a short term safety test. I was a little hesitant to but an oddysea based on the past reputation. I have been hearing some good things about last years models and I hope this years models seem even better. I happen to be pro China unlike most of you as I am an owner of China Mobile stock. The more the country prospers the more I do.

amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon,reef octopus nw150, 2 oceanflow mods, 2x 250w 10k mh, phos reactor
Unread 02/06/2007, 08:25 PM   #44
drives300
Premium Member

amm 0
phos 0 salifers
Calcium 450 salifer
alk 11 dkh

Ph 8-8.1

Unread 02/07/2007, 07:37 AM   #45
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dz6t
Yes, I saw the picture and the inside of the ballast DOES NOT look like an electronic ballast or any electronic ballast sold on the market like Icecap etc. It looks like a good old magnetic ballast.
well let's see... I spy 2 giant mosfets on the outputs of the ballasts.

-J

Unread 02/07/2007, 09:09 AM   #46
bgcook
Registered Member

just to add my two cents. i have been running this new unit with electronic ballast for about 3 months now. it is slightly different than this one, in that the actinics are two 96 watt pc (total 692 watts). this is my first mh/pc combo (so my experience is limited), but comparing it to my brother-in-law's coralife- it seemed just as well built. the only problem i had initially was that aquatraders only sent one MH bulb with the unit, the other was empty. they did send another one in the end, but they required me to pay shipping ($6). their customer service is horrible, but for the price i didn't care.

i wanted to upgrade the lighting to 14k (never tried the unit with their bulbs), so i purchased two hamilton 14 k DE HQI bulbs at a LFS. they did not work with this unit (electronic ballast?? - i doubt i got two bad bulds, but anything is possible). sequentially, i tried two pheonix 14k bulbs and they work great. i am very happy with the appearance and the function of this unit so far. the external ballasts, do not seem to run very hot. i have them stacked on top of each other for now, cooling with a small fan.

anyhow, that is my two cents. personally, i decided to try this unit because of price. similiar coralife units cost 800-1000 and this one cost me $329 with free shipping. as far as recommending them, if it never catches fire then absolutely :-)

greg

Current Tank Info: 540gal built in reef. 25 gal ecocube.
Unread 02/07/2007, 09:15 AM   #47
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

OK, here's a pic of it on the tank. I am not using a very good camera (canon Elph S330) so I don't have much control over the exposure, but the color is pretty close. This is with the halides and the 4 PC actinics. It's still a bit too green IMO. I will switch the bulbs at some point.

Unread 02/07/2007, 09:17 AM   #48
GSMguy
Registered Member

yea it looks pretty yellow sounds like its a job for pheonix bulbs
are the ballasts hot like a magnetic ?

Unread 02/07/2007, 09:22 AM   #49
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgcook
just to add my two cents. i have been running this new unit with electronic ballast for about 3 months now. it is slightly different than this one, in that the actinics are two 96 watt pc (total 692 watts). this is my first mh/pc combo (so my experience is limited), but comparing it to my brother-in-law's coralife- it seemed just as well built. the only problem i had initially was that aquatraders only sent one MH bulb with the unit, the other was empty. they did send another one in the end, but they required me to pay shipping ($6). their customer service is horrible, but for the price i didn't care.

i wanted to upgrade the lighting to 14k (never tried the unit with their bulbs), so i purchased two hamilton 14 k DE HQI bulbs at a LFS. they did not work with this unit (electronic ballast?? - i doubt i got two bad bulds, but anything is possible). sequentially, i tried two pheonix 14k bulbs and they work great. i am very happy with the appearance and the function of this unit so far. the external ballasts, do not seem to run very hot. i have them stacked on top of each other for now, cooling with a small fan.

anyhow, that is my two cents. personally, i decided to try this unit because of price. similiar coralife units cost 800-1000 and this one cost me $329 with free shipping. as far as recommending them, if it never catches fire then absolutely :-)

greg
I noticed something last night with mine. I put the light on my kill-a-watt meter, and here's what I found...

4x55W PC's pull 210 Watts
Fan pulls 15 Watts
Moonlights pull 2 Watts
Halides pull 90 Watts to start, and build to 150W each.

Hmmmmmm... That's interesting... a 250W halide should pull just over 250W from the wall. I'm betting that they are 150 HQI's and not 250.

are the 150 HQI bulbs the same size as the 250's?

-J

Unread 02/07/2007, 09:23 AM   #50
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
yea it looks pretty yellow sounds like its a job for pheonix bulbs
are the ballasts hot like a magnetic ?
Ballasts stay relatively cool.
-J

Closed Thread