Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Invertebrated
Registered Member

Keyna trees pest ?

Just got a Craigslist aquarium with several small Kenya trees sprouting up. They are just opening up after the move I was pretty excited when I read an article that they were like a weed?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Invertebrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 11:57 AM   #2
Reincarnate
Registered Member

I've never had any problems with Kenya Tree corals before. The problem doesn't lie with the coral itself, it's the owner who lets it become a problem who is to blame. Just pay close attention to it and don't be afraid to prune it if need be.

Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 12:33 PM   #3
ncaldwell
Registered Member

They can be hard because the branches can randomly pinch off, float somewhere else and start a new one. After a couple months you can have a few dozen of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ncaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 12:39 PM   #4
MrsReefK
Registered Member

If you don't keep up with them, they can become weed like. They spread quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 06:22 PM   #5
ponokareefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaldwell View Post
They can be hard because the branches can randomly pinch off, float somewhere else and start a new one. After a couple months you can have a few dozen of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
This. I had over 30 of them in my tank at 1 point.

ponokareefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 03:09 AM   #6
Invertebrated
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I've never had any problems with Kenya Tree corals before. The problem doesn't lie with the coral itself, it's the owner who lets it become a problem who is to blame. Just pay close attention to it and don't be afraid to prune it if need be.
Thanks. I'm glad too hear that. I will make sure too keep them under control early and enjoy them in my new tank

Unread 01/04/2017, 07:05 AM   #7
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertebrated View Post
Thanks. I'm glad too hear that. I will make sure too keep them under control early and enjoy them in my new tank
Sounds like you got the answer that you were hoping for... One that you'll probably regret.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Invertebrated
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Sounds like you got the answer that you were hoping for... One that you'll probably regret.
Well I have been planning on getting an aquarium for quite awhile. I've been studying constantly. Initially my interest in actually getting one was peaked by a documentary featuring harlequin shrimp. Further research indicates I'm not ready for an obligate eater of starfish feet(maybe someday). Kinda really fell for pulsing xenia.... more research, serious reefers hate em. I'm pretty happy researching though and keep on plugging away happily reading watching videos when my wife hands me her phone with a saltwater tank for sale on Craigslist. It's a 54 gallon corner tank bottom drilled with a corner weir, 100 pounds of live rock, a sump with built in protein skimmer, yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, bangai cardinal, black and white saddle clownfish , a few coral frags and quite a few kenya trees. Well I absolutely couldn't turn it down for the price. Unfortunately even at the great price I got it for after buying ammonia and nitrate test kits I'm left FLAT broke. Additionally just before bed last night I saw a little tiny asterina starfish that put a smile on my face. Waking up this morning I just start checking out asterina...... I may regret it but I feel like I have too enjoy SOMETHING right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post

Unread 01/08/2017, 07:47 PM   #9
saf1
Registered Member

They will break off tips, that float about, and if you don't keep up in removing them they will attach to things and grow. That is how they survive and/or spread and/or whatever it is they do. So in short, yes they can become a pest if you won't want the things everywhere.

Also catch them has they float. Once they attach, and you remove, their base will soon grown another one unless you epoxy over it. I have them in my 40 breeder and I'm deciding if I want to add them to by upgrade/ 240. More than likely I will but be a bit more aggressive in removing the floaters.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 07:38 AM   #10
crawlerman
Registered Member

I've had reef tanks for 12 years and have always had asterina starfish. They basically just eat algae. the only time I've seen them on corals is when they are dead and they eat the algae that is forming on the dead skeleton. Population seems to go up and down on it's own. Supposedly there are some species that will eat corals, but I've never seen it. I believe it is people seeing them eating dead tissue.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote