Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Chriss614
Registered Member

Maroon clown not pairing

I am trying to pair some maroon clowns. I have an established female and i purchased a juvinile for her and put him in the tank, in a container, so that she would get used to him for a few days. I released him about two days ago and they fought for awhile but now they are just on seperate sides of the tank. No fighting or pairing. Should i just wait for them to bond or did I do something wrong?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Chriss614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 10:41 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

I would wait, if you see significant fin tears or obvious signs she's just going to kill it then pull it.
Sometimes a female just won't accept some males, and maroons seem the fussiest in this area
It took me 3 tries w/ different males w/ my last maroon before she finally accepted it, and this was also w/ a container intro

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I would wait, if you see significant fin tears or obvious signs she's just going to kill it then pull it.
Sometimes a female just won't accept some males, and maroons seem the fussiest in this area
It took me 3 tries w/ different males w/ my last maroon before she finally accepted it, and this was also w/ a container intro
Thanks for the advice! I will wait a few days and post an update.

Unread 01/08/2017, 07:54 PM   #4
ginpang
Registered Member

Mine looked like she was going to kill it in the first hour he was in the aquarium then he hid and she returned to her nem.
Within 24 hours he shook like There was no tomorrow and I guess she was convinced by the fact that he was so annoyingly persistent. After a 2 day period it was a done deal.

It easiest when there's a notable size difference between them 2:1 ratio seems to work.

Though I've heard lots of horror stories starring female maroons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 08:07 PM   #5
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpang View Post
Mine looked like she was going to kill it in the first hour he was in the aquarium then he hid and she returned to her nem.
Within 24 hours he shook like There was no tomorrow and I guess she was convinced by the fact that he was so annoyingly persistent. After a 2 day period it was a done deal.

It easiest when there's a notable size difference between them 2:1 ratio seems to work.

Mine didnt look so good at first either but now he looks fine but seems to have Just claimed his own little rock on the far side of the tank from her. I will Post a video so you can see the size difference.

Unread 01/11/2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpang View Post

Update little clown didnt make it, it wasnt the female...it was the cat. I guess I'll be trying a new male soon. Thinking of moving him and female to a small empty tank to pair and then move them to the diaplay. Thoughts? I hope my cat enjoyed the moat expensive cat meal ever...

Unread 01/12/2017, 05:32 AM   #7
Mad Marine
Registered Member

What is your anemone situation?

Mad Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Marine View Post
What is your anemone situation?
I have one RBTA that the female loves. She was hosting it within hours of putting it in the tank.

Unread 01/12/2017, 06:07 AM   #9
Mad Marine
Registered Member

Remove the female into a separate system (if you can) or buy one of those freshwater livebearer traps they cost approx. $5-10, remove the separation compartments in the trap (just one open space) and keep her there for 5-7 days (remove any uneaten food). While she's separated you can add the new little guy into the anemone for the same amount of time. Try to keep her as close to the anemone as possible (might be tricky if nem is low down). Release her back to the anemone after this time and see what happens. If fighting continues for more than 10-15 minutes it hasn't worked but I think this method will work.

Good luck.

MM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trap.jpg (51.2 KB, 14 views)
Mad Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Marine View Post
Remove the female into a separate system (if you can) or buy one of those freshwater livebearer traps they cost approx. $5-10, remove the separation compartments in the trap (just one open space) and keep her there for 5-7 days (remove any uneaten food). While she's separated you can add the new little guy into the anemone for the same amount of time. Try to keep her as close to the anemone as possible (might be tricky if nem is low down). Release her back to the anemone after this time and see what happens. If fighting continues for more than 10-15 minutes it hasn't worked but I think this method will work.

Good luck.

MM
I have a drink container that I cut holes into and used to introduce my last male clown by putting him in it and anchoring it into to substrate right by the anenome. Think that will work for her?

Unread 01/12/2017, 09:27 AM   #11
Ben A
Registered Member

Ive paired both GSM and WSM clowns. I have not had any issues with my gold stripe and gold flake maroons pairing, but the white stripes/lightnings were an absolute nightmare. No easy way to do it, the container trick didn't seem to help at all. The males still got beat up on when they were introduced. It took 3 white stripes before my lighting maroon female finally accepted a mate and even then she beat him up really bad for a couple days.

Ben A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 02:18 PM   #12
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss614 View Post
I have a drink container that I cut holes into and used to introduce my last male clown by putting him in it and anchoring it into to substrate right by the anenome. Think that will work for her?

Yes that can help, or even just a floating breeder box which is what I've always used, think they are like $5 at petco or similar.
It should be obvious if the female is just curious and checking it out or if her cheek spines are out and charging at it like she wants to kill it.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 03:00 PM   #13
Chriss614
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben A View Post
Ive paired both GSM and WSM clowns. I have not had any issues with my gold stripe and gold flake maroons pairing, but the white stripes/lightnings were an absolute nightmare. No easy way to do it, the container trick didn't seem to help at all. The males still got beat up on when they were introduced. It took 3 white stripes before my lighting maroon female finally accepted a mate and even then she beat him up really bad for a couple days.
What method do you use to pair?