Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Bellaaliyah
Registered Member

Building stand and sump for 150 gallon

I will continue to look for posts but wanted to see if I could get some quick help. I have a 93 gallon cube which now has a crack so I recently bought a 150 gallon planet aquarium. I am looking for ideas to build a strong stand. Any help will be appreciated. I also plan on making my sump using an aqueous 55 gallon tank, dimensions, 48.3x12.8x21. I understand that there are many different skimmers and pumps, but does anyone have any recommendations on compartment sizes and baffle sizes? I plan on having 4 compartments. A small one for the plumbing from the tank, the second one for the skimmer, the third for the return pump, and the fourth for the refugium. I want to make them big enough so that I can upgrade the skimmer and pumps later down the line. Thanks for the help.

Bellaaliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 09:58 PM   #2
yagesz
Registered Member

Here is my 150 6ft w/ 55g sump.

The sump I just built. The far half is a 16inch tall wall to make an xl refuge. The first section is for the skimmer and returns. About 13" wide. Then bubble trap. The big return section is nice as I am about to put a jebao 15k in there. The bubble trap could be a bit taller. The 2 pieces are 10" tall each. My glass shop cut off the bottom corners off the 16 and 10 piece so they sit in the bottom of the 55 perfectly. The skimmer section is big enough for 2 heaters as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

*Sold* 40B - Vortech MP10, Glass Holes Overflow,
*Sold* 90 Gallon - 3 Tangs, 3 Clowns, 1 Wrasse, 2 Angelfish, 1
yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 11:08 PM   #3
bhbell
Registered Member

Skip trying to use a 55. Too narrow. Petco has their dollar a gallon sale going on now. Get a 40 breeder. Smaller volume, but better dimensions.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

bhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2017, 11:09 PM   #4
yagesz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbell View Post
Skip trying to use a 55. Too narrow. Petco has their dollar a gallon sale going on now. Get a 40 breeder. Smaller volume, but better dimensions.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
I agree with this. My issue was my stand was an inch to shallow for a 40b to sit in the stand. I was very sad.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

*Sold* 40B - Vortech MP10, Glass Holes Overflow,
*Sold* 90 Gallon - 3 Tangs, 3 Clowns, 1 Wrasse, 2 Angelfish, 1
yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Bellaaliyah
Registered Member

Thank you. I appreciate it. Guess I can take the 55 back and get the 40

Unread 01/13/2017, 07:53 PM   #6
smedlin
Registered Member

I recently made a canopy for my 150 and am in the process of making a new stand... almost done. Put the third layer of poly on it today.

You can read about my "adventurer" in the below link.. so you don't make the same mistakes.. and yea, do the 40b. I'm also making a new sump, using a 40b

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2490690

Read about my sad attempt here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2490690
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 04:20 PM   #7
Bellaaliyah
Registered Member

Thank you for the thread and advice. I will post two pictures shortly with my stand. Still have ways to go. It's a slow process with kids

Unread 01/14/2017, 04:49 PM   #8
smedlin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaaliyah View Post
Thank you for the thread and advice. I will post two pictures shortly with my stand. Still have ways to go. It's a slow process with kids
I've been working on my stand for over a year, so I know how that goes... I think I simply got burned out on it and shoved it in the corner of the garage for a long time.. until I got tired of it always being in the way.

Read about my sad attempt here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2490690
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alexr