Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2017, 04:48 PM   #1
scooters reef
Registered Member

Cutting foam - Ulu works like sharp putty knife

I'm pretty much just posting this for others in the future who may be searching for ideas.

Cutting pink board is always a pain!! In the past I've tried multiple types of razor blades, butter knife, steak knife, electric knife. Even if they cut quick enough the end result looked sloppy. Since I was just back to needing to cut some again I did a search here and ran across the posts and videos about sharpening a putty knife. SOOO, it got me to thinking!! LOL, my wife is from Alaska and we have a few ulus in the house. I sharpened one up, clamped the foam between a couple of pieces of plywood for a straight edge and shaved it right off!!!

So, if you own an ulu, it works well !! If you don't own an ulu it may not be worth getting one, but they come in handy!! Wife chops most veggies with it, it cuts pizza well, pretty much anything needing chopping or dicing. I think the only thing we haven't used one for is to skin a whale as it was designed to do, lol.

Again, this is mostly for anyone searching in the future and maybe some already have an ulu, or may want to give it a shot and use it otherwise anyway.

Unread 01/14/2017, 10:39 AM   #2
ericarenee
Registered Member

Kewl.

I forget what brand because mine are old..

but google hot wire foam cutter... i have a handheld one and one that is 5 foot long on a portable stand

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote