Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2011, 07:46 PM   #26
billsreef
10 & Over Club

There isn't enough copper in the micro algae grow to be a problem Remember, copper is one of those funny things...a tiny bit is needed for life, a little more kills things. The micro algae grow has just that right tiny bit.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2011, 07:11 PM   #27
apt220

Great, thank you.

apt220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2011, 02:53 PM   #28
Posledni Czar
Registered Member

Yes, I hadn't noted any ill effects from using the microalgae cultured in this way. and straining it would be a tedious procedure, not to mention you'd have to get paper fine enough to filter it.

Posledni Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2011, 05:48 PM   #29
Algaenot
Registered Member

I've had a culture going for around 8 months mow with no problems. Prior to that I was fighting crashes all of the time to the point where I was about to give up. I researched several sites including Melevsreef.com and tried different techniques including using tap water instead of DI water. Also, I live in the Denver area and have not found it necessary to sterilize the tap water prior to use. The tap water definitely helped but I still had a few crashes. Finally, I noticed that the temperature of the culture seemed high due to the close proximity of the lighting (I use a couple of T5s). I added a small fan that blows across the bottles and I have not experienced a crash since that time. In my situation, temperature had a significant impact on the stability of the culture.

Algaenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2011, 06:42 AM   #30
msman825
Registered Member

OH i feel what your saying Algaenot, been there and done that. i have crashed more cultures than carter has liver pills before i figured it out. but now i just use the instant and my cellar dont look like a lab. whole lot easier with my job now days too

Unread 04/02/2011, 10:52 PM   #31
apt220

What are the the signs of a phytoplakton crash? I've been culturing (or trying at least) nanno, but some bottles have algae growing on the container walls that fall off easy if I shake it? Is that cyano? Also, the cultures have small clumps floating around. Im guessing they crashed..

Unread 04/03/2011, 10:56 AM   #32
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

If it turns all white and doesnt change in color within 3 weeks. I call it crashed. I have bene using Miracle Grow on my phyto and Nanno and Tetra seem to do fine but ISO G is having problems. Its on its second week and no signs of growth.... If it doesnt grow i'll have to throw it out and buy more somewhere with some F/2 formula like i should have used in the first place.

BluScrnOdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2011, 05:56 PM   #33
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt220 View Post
What are the the signs of a phytoplakton crash? I've been culturing (or trying at least) nanno, but some bottles have algae growing on the container walls that fall off easy if I shake it? Is that cyano? Also, the cultures have small clumps floating around. Im guessing they crashed..
Sounds like your culture got contaminated by cyano, which took over the culture. Nanno does not adhere to surfaces or clump. I'd break down your entire set up, sterilize it all, than set back up with a new culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluScrnOdeth View Post
If it turns all white and doesnt change in color within 3 weeks. I call it crashed. I have bene using Miracle Grow on my phyto and Nanno and Tetra seem to do fine but ISO G is having problems. Its on its second week and no signs of growth.... If it doesnt grow i'll have to throw it out and buy more somewhere with some F/2 formula like i should have used in the first place.
If the Iso hasn't grown in 2 weeks, it's time to try again. That stuff grows quickly if it's happy.

Unread 04/03/2011, 08:29 PM   #34
apt220

Thanks for the reply Bill and Bluscrnodeth. Can you just verifiy that this is cyano before I break everything down? Here are some pictures:

These are the free floating mini clumps:

Here are the ones sticking on the walls:

Thanks

Unread 04/04/2011, 08:06 PM   #35
Algaenot
Registered Member

My culture looks just like that. Especially near the bottom of the bottle. Now i'm really curious.

Algaenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2011, 08:46 PM   #36
billsreef
10 & Over Club

appt220, it would really take checking under a microscope to be 100% sure. However, with that clumping it's like 90% likely to be contaminated

Unread 04/21/2011, 11:16 PM   #37
bmkj02
Registered Member

Hi everyone. I just started my batch last week not noticing this thread. I started by reading on Melevs site. I got my culture from Aquafarms and also the fertilzer. I started with one whole discin one 2lt bottle with RO/DI water set at 1.019 salt gravity. Per the instruction on Melevs said 2ml of fertilizer and a LFS told me to use 1ml cause it can cause an outbreak of green hair algae. ??? Never had done it I went with 1ml. Its been 7 days and I just split my system tonight into 2 bottle. I just noticed someone said they use 10ml of fertilizer. Im a little thrown off now. Thats a big difference from 1ml and 2ml. Am I doing this wrong?

bmkj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2011, 10:02 AM   #38
Posledni Czar
Registered Member

Its all about the concentration of your fertilizer. I use 1 ml because my ferts are very concentrated. plus if you use sterile water, you have no risk of a HA out break.

Posledni Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2011, 10:45 PM   #39
Woodstock
Premium Member

I have been trying my hand at growing phyto for about three months now.
I try to split every 7 to 10 days,I read some where not to go over 10 days,
Can I or should I go over 10 days?
I'm using 2 litre pop bottles and switch out to a new bottle every other split,
Never use the same bottle more than twice since they are free.
And the bottom of the bottle is settled with a dark green does that mean I am not bubbling hard enough?
My phyto never gets as dark green like I see some other people get, only a lite lime green.
The only time I ever got a dark green is one time I used sterilized/dechlorinated tap water. I didn't want what ever else was in tap water in my tank so I tossed it.

Using nano disc from FAF.
I set my culture water at 1.019 using RO/DI
1ml of Guillards F2 per bottle.n
I have looked at my samples under a microscope.
Could any one describe what It should look like?
Are there any good photos out there of a healthy nano culture that I could compare to?

Current Tank Info: 120 RR, 60 sump, SRO 2000 int, Ehiem 1262 return, 250 DE 14K, T5, LED.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 01:49 PM   #40
merfish101
Registered Member

Anything new thoughts on dosing phyto?

Unread 09/06/2017, 09:45 PM   #41
vikinglord13
Registered Member

I'm actually curious if it's possible to culture phyto just by putting fish food in the bottle rather than fertilizer

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 03:44 AM   #42
dartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglord13 View Post
I'm actually curious if it's possible to culture phyto just by putting fish food in the bottle rather than fertilizer
Not directly no. The fish food would have to be broken down to inorganic nutrients first, and then would still be lacking in some areas most likely. Far easier to use F/2 in the first place as it has all the needed nutrients in the right proportions for microalgae.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 10:38 PM   #43
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks!

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote