Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2017, 11:55 PM   #1
ahuaia
Registered Member

Clams in nano reef ?

Hi guys so I have been toying with the idea of getting a clam in my tank for a few months now and was wondering what you guys think. I'm still fairly new to this Hobby and while I feel like I have learned a lot and can for the most part maintain a healthy nano reef I'm not very nolagabl when it comes to clams. When I got into the nano reef hobby I had no thoughts of getting a clam but after seeing a few would love the opportunity to house one in my tank. I will not get one for a while even if it's possible just because I want a more mature tank if I get one. My biggest concern is that it will be competing for nutreaints with my Corals. I currently have 5 coral and they all are doing well but I feel like a clam may put to much of a strain on my nutrients I do weekly water changes of about 30% currently. I only have a 10 gallon but I've done some scratch the surface research and some people seem to think it's possible with a few species. So my main concerns are as follows. Will it put to much of a strain on my nutrients? Could I fit one in a 10 gallon tank? Would a bear bottom tank affect the gills or feet of the clam? Thanks guys for you put also my flow is about medium and I have a light capable of sustaining SPS coral but I only run it at 40-50% due to what I have.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ahuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 04:14 AM   #2
luu78
Registered Member

Hi, they're filter feeders and should help with nutrient export if anything. I got a tiny Maxima from LA.com a few months ago and it lives on the frag crate 10" below my LEDs. I never feed it and it has grown quite a bit. Needs strong lighting like SPS. Let them hinge on a pc of liverock for several days and relocate the rock/clam to its final spot and you should be good especially Crocea clam. You will know if it doesnt like the spot. For a good primer on Tridacnas, watch this video:

https://youtu.be/sg17WPmhmSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 04:37 AM   #3
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

I keep a crocea clam in a 15g no troubles. As mentioned above they are filter feeders. With most things in our home reefs stability plays an important part. Things extra to consider

Placement
- as far as not being irritated by corals
- flow (also syphon positioning with flow)
- light

Feet
- your bb will be fine, I would never purchase a clam who's foot was not firmly attached to a small rock or rubble or something. Also if you are bb consider a crocea clam which are more often found in rockwork.

Size
-I believe the crocea clam will be the smallest options as far as clams in maximum size which will suit a nano.
- anything smaller than 2-3 inches generally have a tough time adapting in home aquarium and often require specific feeding other than filter feeding.

Death
- they can take a long time to die generally so you may not even realize your clam is dying over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgss gogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 08:01 AM   #4
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Excellent information in this thread on keeping clams. I've had 2 over the years, the first one, a derasa (supposed to be the easiest to keep), never settled in and only lasted 3 months or so. The second one, a maxima, has done really well until recently, where I think it was smothered by other corals, and I'm fairly certain it died a few weeks ago.

Some other great references on Clams, first a good website/article, and second, a great book that I keep as a shelf reference guide, that is also a great readthrough.

I would NOT recommend supplemental feeding. Have fishes, flow, and strong light, and the clam will do fine.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 11:14 AM   #5
ahuaia
Registered Member

Ya I bought that book a while back but it got damaged in transit so I got a refund but never bought the book again. Also thanks for the video luu78 it was great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ahuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 12:24 PM   #6
murphreef
Registered Member

Clams are awesome this is the last thing I need for my 25g nano.

Have had clams in all my previous tanks and they are awesome just keep clean water, bright light and good alk/ ca supply

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 01:37 PM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

I kept a sqamosa in my biocube for about 6 months until I upgraded to a larger tank.

Clams are fine in a nano, just be aware all will eventually outgrow the tank.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Xandernfs
Registered Member

I kept a crocea & a derasa in my 20 under a 150 HQI back in the day and it did great. It's manageable, but does require more intense light.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote