Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2016, 10:54 PM   #26
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Sure, I'll snap a picture in the morning. It really isn't anything spectacular.

Tank is maintained with a large skimmer, CaRX, biopellets, GFO, and carbon. I dose aminos about 2x/week and feed my fish like there's no tomorrow. I don't use filter socks, vacuum the sand, or even vacuum out the sump ever.

To me, water changes become unnecessary once nutrient management and supplementation of trace elements have been achieved.

I consider myself a lazy reefer. Why do water changes at all if the two goals of water changes, nutrient reduction and replenishment of trace elements, can be achieved via other methods? Sure, I understand there are a myriad of elements that are not being replenished by the CaRX but whatever they may be, my old 125-gallon didn't require it for 3 years and my current 215-gallon hasn't required it yet either so far(2 years).

Am I delusional to think this might work forever? No, I feel like eventually there might be a trace element that will need to be added to the system... Something I can't test for and don't even realize the importance of until it is depleted... But until then, I'm pretty happy not doing water changes for a few more years.

FarmerTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 09:37 AM   #27
FarmerTy
Registered Member

As promised! I'm never going to win a prettiest sump award but...

Main things that have worked for me for 5 years with no water changes between my former tank and current one are:

1) CaRX - must-have for rock solid alk and Ca levels. Mine also keeps my Mg in check pretty well and dare I say, some other trace minerals from the melting of the media. Something you don't get with 2-part in my opinion.

2) Aggressive nutrient removal via monthly GFO (phosphate) and carbon (organics) changes, running a good amount of biopellets (nitrates), and an over-sized skimmer at roughly 2x the stated capacity. My Reef Octopus is rated for 500 gallons... my total water volume is about 250 gallons.

3) Make sure that RO/DI is giving you pure water! I change all my filters and DI resin every 6 months like clockwork. I've had outbreaks of cyano, diatoms, dinos, and other microalgaes just letting the filters sit too long. When RO/DI water is the main addition to your tank daily for years, let's make sure its pure.

4) Test, test, test! I'll admit it, I'm a testing fool! Blame the former scientist in me. In the initial, as you prolong your time between water changes, monitoring nutrient levels is vital. As you see peaks and spikes associated with nutrient levels disappear, you can slowly omit water changes. It's easy to dial in your CaRX immediately, set it and your alk/Ca stay pretty locked in. But running biopellets, heavy skimming, and GFO usage gives you all these peaks and valleys in nutrient levels. As things start balancing out and your bioload stabilizes as well, you'll see little change in nutrient levels and at that point is when I cut the cord and stop doing water changes... granted I keep monitoring levels to make sure it stays stable.

4) Feed like there is no tomorrow! My tank gets fed 5 times a day and a heavy feeding at night. We're talking animal planet special on night dives over coral reefs feeding... the water is drowning in mysis, worms, pellets, flakes, nori... Etc. Just make sure you ramp up the feedings slowly. Don't start dumping 5 cubes into your system and think that's not going to affect your nutrient levels at all. I'm a firm believer in heavy import, heavy export for my reefs.

Hope that helps!

Unread 01/22/2016, 09:57 AM   #28
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

Which Octopus skimmer are you using?

thanks

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 10:39 AM   #29
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Reef octopus 5000

Unread 01/23/2016, 08:47 PM   #30
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Thank you very much for sharing!
The info on most everything i have for my system is in my signature area except i will be going back to t5 lighting and hopefully before the end of this year i will get a calc. reactor going my alk. isnt stable enough with dosing 2 part and the more i read of how solid calc/alk is with one i want one even more!

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2016, 09:20 PM   #31
March.
Registered Member

wish I could see the video : (

March. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 11:00 AM   #32
makers marc
Registered Member

Tybota,

So, when you started using biopellets did you notice any bacterial "white fuzz growth" all over your DT and live rock? I did when I used vodka, I wonder if its b/c I accidentally overdosed for one week (put in 8ml instead of .8ml), but I read that bacteria has to grow somewhere so there's no way to control where if you carbon dose.

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 11:32 AM   #33
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers marc View Post
Tybota,

So, when you started using biopellets did you notice any bacterial "white fuzz growth" all over your DT and live rock? I did when I used vodka, I wonder if its b/c I accidentally overdosed for one week (put in 8ml instead of .8ml), but I read that bacteria has to grow somewhere so there's no way to control where if you carbon dose.
That's definitely signs of an overdose. The beauty of biopellets is that the bacterial growth is contained within the confines of a reactor and the effluent is either directly plumbed to the skimmer or in its vicinity. Thereby, the bacteria is produced and removed from your system without affecting anything in your display.

Unread 01/25/2016, 11:34 AM   #34
FarmerTy
Registered Member

The drawbacks are cost of a reactor, cost of the biopellets, and less precise control of carbon dosing.

Unread 01/26/2016, 11:55 AM   #35
makers marc
Registered Member

Less precise control meaning, you dont know how much to start using? And how to adjust?

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 12:12 PM   #36
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers marc View Post
Less precise control meaning, you dont know how much to start using? And how to adjust?
For me at least, when I was vodka dosing, if I was stripping the nutrients out too much, instead of adding 2 ml/day, I'd add 1.8 ml/day to correct.

With biopellets, if I was stripping the water too much, it was hard for me to remove a specific amount of biopellets the same way you would with a volumetric dose like vodka. Do I remove 20 pellets and hope that lowered the removal of nutrients? Only point I was making there.

Unread 03/29/2016, 01:34 PM   #37
FarmerTy
Registered Member

http://youtu.be/ToUxVy2J54g

Unread 03/29/2016, 09:08 PM   #38
ks1546
Registered Member

That musics so peaceful for how demonic that angel can be!

Unread 03/29/2016, 09:36 PM   #39
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1546 View Post
That musics so peaceful for how demonic that angel can be!
I'm trying to distract people from his destructiveness! Shhhhh!!!

Unread 03/29/2016, 10:49 PM   #40
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Fish photos with a borrowed DSLR and macro lens. This is really my first time experimenting with a real camera so forgive any rookie errors.

Unread 03/29/2016, 10:51 PM   #41
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Corals:

Unread 03/29/2016, 10:51 PM   #42
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

How long have you had the linkia star?

Unread 03/29/2016, 10:53 PM   #43
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
How long have you had the linkia star?
About a year now. The red one died on me in about 4 months but the blue is going strong.

Unread 03/29/2016, 10:54 PM   #44
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Unread 03/29/2016, 10:55 PM   #45
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Unread 03/29/2016, 11:00 PM   #46
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybota View Post
About a year now. The red one died on me in about 4 months but the blue is going strong.
Are you doing anything special for it, or is it just surviving on whatever it gets in your tank?

Love your choice of fish in this set up. What are the measurements of the tank?

Unread 03/29/2016, 11:11 PM   #47
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Just surviving on what it finds. I had low expectations of survival of either but the blue one has surprised me with its longevity. It is apparently finding something to sustain itself.

Thanks for the compliment. It's a 215-gallon, 72" x 24" x 29".

Unread 03/29/2016, 11:27 PM   #48
kkjmartink
Registered Member

FarmerTy 215-gal No Water Change SPS Tank

We need a close up of the bubble tip because it's incredible.

Ok so I seen it after I posted this so I edited it.

Bought some frags from him that sat in bags as I drove home maybe 36 hours as I drove home back to Kansas. All still alive and well. Been close to 2 months now. Great tank.

Last edited by kkjmartink; 03/29/2016 at 11:33 PM.
kkjmartink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2016, 12:14 AM   #49
FarmerTy
Registered Member

Awesome! Glad the frags are doing well. Just for you:

Unread 03/30/2016, 01:16 AM   #50
SpSChief85
Registered Member

Really nice fish selection and corals on this tank, wouldn't mind having afew frags out of that frag tank either... are those bigger frags (mini colonies) pearlberry?