Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2019, 10:05 AM   #1
tom1984
Registered Member

Leveling tank

Hello

I am a little confused and looking for help.
I purchased a second hand tank and stand.
The guy I purchased from helped me level the stand as he is a furniture maker.
He shaved wooden plates under the closet according to my floor.

Now I filled the tank and the back right side seems 4mm lower and it worries me.
Strange thing is tha glass does not bend or can have torsion when glued as aquarium.

It would com of the corner that is lowest and rock i guess.

What do you guys think? For now I have the water out again thinking of making a new stand.

Front right

EE8F32D5-2924-4E69-A987-DA766EF3E6AD.jpg

Back right

4065DE66-E8E8-42EB-A359-9845997573E4.jpg

Lowest corner touching the stand

D00E3CC6-D182-4585-876F-54C43C59C8EF.jpg

970521D9-DCAC-47F9-87B3-2F2D3026F824.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

tom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2019, 08:00 PM   #2
FamilyTank
Registered Member

I find it hard to follow. Please post full size pictures, showing an entire side.

FamilyTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2019, 06:59 PM   #3
EricGRIT
Registered Member

I see you are measuring from the canopy down, when you should really measure from the base of the tank up. Or, measure from the inside on the tank itself down to the water level from the top lip (which also isn't necessarily perfect if the lip is not perfectly flush on the tank). Take some more measurements from other reference points and see if it still aligns with your first round of measurements. I do also agree with FamilyTank.

EricGRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2019, 02:21 AM   #4
tom1984
Registered Member

I measured all possible references.
The richt back corner is 4mm lower then the other 3.

We have fixed wooden beads under the stand and shaved them to fit the floor.

Apparantly the floor set itself a bit on the richt back corner.

I am thinking of removing the beads, screwing 18mm multiplex under it and use 9 adjustable small leggs.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

tom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 07:27 AM   #5
nematode
Registered Member

You need to use a level since your measurements of water (a big level) can only be done with water in the tank. All measurements relative to the floor makes the assumption that your floor is completely flat which may not be the case. Just use a level (either an old fashioned bubble level or new fashioned laser level) and shim the feet of the stand until both front to back and side to side are level.

nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2019, 10:46 PM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

The tank certainly can and will flex if the tank is not sitting properly on the stand. Glass tanks only give at the seams since the panes will not flex, too much and you lose a seam. Acrylic panes will flex all over and will settle over time. Then the seams craze.

A tank can be out of level, it isn't an issue as long as it is all in the same plane. The problem comes when the tank twists, this will destroy a tank quickly.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2019, 10:00 AM   #7
boojumsnark25
Registered Member

I'm having a little trouble following what exactly the issue is as well, but the main two issues with leveling are the floor not being level and then the surface of the stand (where the tank sits) not being level. It sounds like the floor leveling has already been addressed. If the tank isn't sitting level now, either you need to revisit the shims that were used to level the base of the stand, or there's an issue with the levelness of the surface.

If the issue is just at one corner of the stand, it's pretty easy to tell because there will be a gap between the bottom of the tank frame and the stand. You can always use wood shims in that corner, but try to make the gaps between each shim piece as small as possible and keep an eye when filling it. The nice part about aquariums is that the water will tell you right away if things aren't level.

boojumsnark25 is offline   Reply With Quote