Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2013, 06:07 PM   #26
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Glad they are doing good, and you caught the other one.

In hindsight of your problems a long while ago, would it be best to now TT all three of them? Worrying that whatever the bad one is putting off will make the other two get the same problem?

I know that happened before on your tank. (?? right??)
IMO, when a sick anemone deflated, he purge and dump all the bad stuff out into the water, bacteria and what have you. Healthy anemone then take these nasty stuff in and get sick.

In this case, as soon as I see the anemone start to deflates, I add antibiotic right away. Hope this will keep the healthy ones from getting sick. I imagine that I can take the healthy anemones out, they would be fine. I just make sure that I won't transfer any of the water to the QT. And will not expose any of my healthy anemones to the possible sick ones.

I did not have the time and have decided to keep all three in the TT and treat them all. Will see if the two non deflating anemones continue to do well, I will move him/them to QT sometime this weekend. The sick one will get a full 7 days treatment course.

Of course all of this plan assuming that they response great to the antibiotic treatment and will all do well.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2013, 06:21 PM   #27
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Very nice Minh.

I was just wondering, as your stories, previously, had scared me to keep an eye and be ready for the anemones.

I am looking at a blue gig. But I think I might wait. I am on the fence.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2013, 06:21 AM   #28
sjwitt
Registered Member

Is it just the picture or are they getting lighter?

Current Tank Info: 185 g, Mixed Reef. w/ LPS, SPS, Inverts, and Fish. Eight RBTAs and counting.
sjwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2013, 06:38 AM   #29
OrionN
Moved on

Automatic light function show a very dark color anemone because of the white back ground. I increase the light to show the anemone clearer. I should have done that to all the other pictures. They only minimally lighten up from purging some zooxanthellae.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/07/2013, 11:34 AM   #30
OrionN
Moved on

Ran to the office this AM. The anemone seem OK, not deflating. Back to essentially normal. I will need to recheck and add medication this afternoon. I will take another picture then.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090701.jpg (63.3 KB, 1293 views)

Unread 09/07/2013, 09:52 PM   #31
OrionN
Moved on

This evening just about when the light turning out, I did 50% water change and added medication. There is no deflation and no evidence of problem. I took a picture right after water change, before add medication.

Looking at the anemones closely under rather bright light, they start to have purple/red and green color. I hope I hit the jack pot here and end up with some very nice color Gigantea.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090702.jpg (67.7 KB, 1067 views)

Last edited by OrionN; 09/07/2013 at 10:11 PM.
Unread 09/07/2013, 10:02 PM   #32
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Ran to the office this AM. The anemone seem OK, not deflating. Back to essentially normal. I will need to recheck and add medication this afternoon. I will take another picture then.

I think the little one in the center has a lot of potential...

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2013, 07:53 AM   #33
Overboard
Premium Member

Looking good! Ultimately, I don't think they will be just brown. They are multicolor now and I bet the purple and green shades pick up when you get them in your display system. It will be very interesting to watch them develop over the next month or two.

Checked a local Petco.........nothing. Your store in Corpus probably has a good manager with an interest in saltwater.

Unread 09/08/2013, 05:57 PM   #34
OrionN
Moved on

Sunday 9/8/2013 PM, right before adding more medication, after 50% water change. One of the three anemone decided to go for a walk today.
The small anemone that decided to walk:

The largest Gigantea

The sick Gigantea

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090803.jpg (79.3 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090804.jpg (55.6 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090801.jpg (64.5 KB, 1025 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090802.jpg (60.4 KB, 1022 views)

Unread 09/09/2013, 04:03 AM   #35
salty joe
Registered Member

Does Cipro destroy the biological filter?
What does TT stand for?
Good luck.

Unread 09/09/2013, 04:45 AM   #36
OrionN
Moved on

TT means treatment tank.

Reef biological filtration system depends on a variety of bacterial. Cipro is a broad spectrum antibiotic that will kill a wide range of bacterial and will upset the balance of a reef tank.

I never use antibiotic in reef tank, could not even begin to predict what effect it have on our delicate filtration system.

There are a few reefers who use antibiotic in the tank. Some even wrote about it. Other dipped anemone in it for 1-2 hrs. One particular person wrote that he use 250 mg Cipro and mixed with just enough to water to cover the anemone. If you absolutely will not or cannot set up a TT, then use the dipping method. I do not know how effective it is.

Unread 09/09/2013, 04:53 AM   #37
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboard View Post
Looking good! Ultimately, I don't think they will be just brown. They are multicolor now and I bet the purple and green shades pick up when you get them in your display system. It will be very interesting to watch them develop over the next month or two.

l.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
I think the little one in the center has a lot of potential...
Mark and Randy,
I think/hope that both of you are right. I think the largest Gig will have some great green color. One of my Gig was larger, and plainer looking 16 months ago and he is pretty green right now.
One of the smaller one, the one that went for a walk really have a lot of potential. He has a lot of red and purple in his tentacles. I hope he will be the most special of the group. If they survive, I will keep this thread update.
This is just re-post picture of the small nicest one.

Unread 09/09/2013, 05:26 AM   #38
salty joe
Registered Member

I was just wondering if using a seeded pad in a hang on the tank Whisper type filter would be useful.

Unread 09/09/2013, 05:52 AM   #39
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
I was just wondering if using a seeded pad in a hang on the tank Whisper type filter would be useful.
For? These pads have minor mechanical filtration and some carbon. They are not very effective. In TT I recommend a lot of water change to keep nutrient/waste level down. Since we don't feed the anemone, there should be minimal waste output.
You really would not want to use carbon in treatment tank since with will remove the medication.

Unread 09/09/2013, 06:53 AM   #40
salty joe
Registered Member

For biological filtration. I was looking at another anenome thread where ammonia became a problem in the TT. He was not feeding the anenome. Just treating with Cipro.

Unread 09/09/2013, 07:16 AM   #41
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Sounds like no water changes. That would reduce any ammonia and other waste at least.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2013, 07:22 AM   #42
OrionN
Moved on

A 100% water change should fix the problem. I think any biological filter is unlikely to be useful due to the hight antibiotic level in the TT.
I think he also mention that he did not do water change like he should.
The only source of significant ammonia in TT would be the tissue breakdown of sick anemone.

Unread 09/09/2013, 12:07 PM   #43
DrDNA
Registered Member

I've used a hydor "nano" skimmer in my 10g TT along with an airstone. O still would change 50% of the water in the TT twice a day. Adding the small skimmer really seemed to help with water quality and didn't seem to lessen the effect of cipro.

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff

Current Tank Info: 300g and 540g on one system, 165g sump, lifereef VS3-72 skimmer, LED lighting
DrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2013, 12:40 PM   #44
darrenduds20
Registered Member

They look like they will turn into some nice colours .

darrenduds20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2013, 05:53 AM   #45
OrionN
Moved on

I brought one of the anemone home (from my office TT) to put him in the QT tank at home. He did great yesterday. I fed him a small piece of sea trout and he ate it quickly. Here are the pictures from last night and this AM. I think this anemone will do just fine and should go to the holding DT in a few days, then I will bring the next anemone home.

In the QT. I have a breeding Onyx pair in the QT with various corals and fish

Female Onyx in the Gigantea. Male have to tend to the eggs

This AM as the light turn on

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090901.jpg (77.5 KB, 945 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013090903.jpg (71.3 KB, 942 views)
File Type: jpg PetcoGigantea2013091001.jpg (65.4 KB, 947 views)

Unread 09/10/2013, 08:01 AM   #46
deangelr
Clown Whisperererer

Beautiful percula's!

Unread 09/10/2013, 01:09 PM   #47
AD87
Registered Member

Super jealous of your anemones

AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2013, 04:21 PM   #48
sirjohn
Feeding Frenzied

How much were they each? I never thought of checking Petco for these...

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

Current Tank Info: Elos 160XL (200 gal) -- Mixed Reef
sirjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2013, 06:15 PM   #49
OrionN
Moved on

This happen very rarely, likely a few times a year only. If they are in the tank there for a few days, they are beyond help. Often they are essentially dead on arrival.

Unread 09/10/2013, 07:39 PM   #50
OrionN
Moved on

They were 29.99 each