Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2019, 05:22 PM   #1
TriggersAmuck
Premium Member

"Dwarf" Lion (Dendrochirus zebra)

Any long term dwarf lion keepers, what is your estimation as to how quickly they grow to adult size?

Also, how finicky was yours in getting them to eat readily available food sources?

Ironically a dwarf lion was my first "prize" fish I ever kept (back in 1985), but I had to break down the tank after a year due to a move (to college). Back then the practice was to simply feed them feeder guppies, but obviously we know better today.

(This was also my first experience in loosing a sizable clown, about the same size as the zebra. Ooops).

TriggersAmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2019, 08:55 AM   #2
deepblue68
Premium Member

They are very shy when first acclimated and finicky to eat. You can get a feeding stick and hold it close to there mouths until there enticed. I find patience works well with dwarfs they will eat after they realize that it is food your presenting. In the mean time feed them ghost shrimp so you know there getting nutrition and slowly wean them off shrimp while trying to feed them frozen foods. Once it associates you with food when you put the ghost shrimp in you can start dropping in small amount mysis to see if it will eat it. They can grow fast once there eating is established. First get some ghost shrimp so you know it's eating then wean it off to frozen.gl

deepblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2019, 08:56 AM   #3
deepblue68
Premium Member

Only put one shrimp at a time too

Unread 01/16/2019, 08:57 AM   #4
deepblue68
Premium Member

There are some very good articles on this site just search dwarf lions