Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2013, 04:26 PM   #251
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

these ideas wont work if you have an ATO, your going to need some kind of float switch. Try autotopoff dot com for a low cost solution that will turn off the stenner pump when your water is low in the fresh saltwater container

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
DRThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2013, 04:33 PM   #252
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg93 View Post
I got my Stenner, hooked it all up, it's working great.

Also - since this thing is pretty slow - is there any concern your just diluting the water change? Did you increase your water change to account for this?

Thanks a ton, I'm really happy to finally have this as a solution to lugging buckets up a flight of stairs.

Jeff
The difference between 1% per day and 30% per month is about a 5% loss overall. If you want to compensate you could do a little more than 1%; generally it is insignificant.

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
Unread 12/23/2013, 04:49 PM   #253
AquamanE
Registered Member

I'm hooking up a Ato in SW bin. It will shut down awc pump if it gets low.

Regarding delution question there is a article in chemistry forum by Holmes Farley title water changes that goes over that concern.

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2013, 05:00 PM   #254
mrx66699
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRThompson View Post
these ideas wont work if you have an ATO, your going to need some kind of float switch. Try autotopoff dot com for a low cost solution that will turn off the stenner pump when your water is low in the fresh saltwater container
yes if an ato is present placing near the top will not matter and a float switch will not work either as it will never go off........whatever the draw is removing the ato will now compensate and fill with ro .....you would need some kind of pressure switch that can read the outgoing and ingoing lines and if pressure is lost it kills the pump and sends out an alarm

Life is the slowest form of suicide!
mrx66699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2013, 05:08 PM   #255
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

I ordered one of these on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131051696064...84.m1439.l2649

if link doesnt work do a search for "Vertical /Horizon Magnetic ABS Water Flow Switch" on ebay. I have not received it yet (slow boat from china) so I'm not sure it will work. This would go in-line to detect water in the line. Assuming it works, it will tell me when no water is in the line and work like a switch to turn off the stenner pump.

Unread 12/23/2013, 05:13 PM   #256
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamanE View Post
I'm hooking up a Ato in SW bin. It will shut down awc pump if it gets low.

Regarding delution question there is a article in chemistry forum by Holmes Farley title water changes that goes over that concern.
I'm having problems finding one that will reach the bottom. My barrel is 4' tall; I cant find a switch with wires that long.

Unread 12/23/2013, 05:14 PM   #257
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrx66699 View Post
yes if an ato is present placing near the top will not matter and a float switch will not work either as it will never go off........whatever the draw is removing the ato will now compensate and fill with ro .....you would need some kind of pressure switch that can read the outgoing and ingoing lines and if pressure is lost it kills the pump and sends out an alarm
float switch has to go in the bottom of the water change barrel, not sump.

Unread 12/23/2013, 07:33 PM   #258
rps3
Moved On

For ATO situation, most probably have controllers already whom are doing the auto water change. You could always program the return pump to shut off as well as the ATO while the water change kicks on.

As for the mixing barrel running dry, SOL... keep a watch on it. Dave maybe you can extend the wires and use silicone to encase/cover the wires. That or get a Uniseal and use a float switch like this, it's HVAC stuff and cement the slip fitting so it doesn't pop out and spill the salt water all over. Not a bad idea huh? LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Primary...item4ac245089b

rps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2013, 07:36 PM   #259
rps3
Moved On

Oh yeah be sure to flip it upside down or I believe you can reverse mount the floater ring so when it sinks down it will trigger.

Unread 12/23/2013, 08:49 PM   #260
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm having problems finding one that will reach the bottom. My barrel is 4' tall; I cant find a switch with wires that long.
To clarify am not hooking up an ATO, but a floatswitch from autotopoff.

Dr- a had similar concerns as my Brute is like 3 feet tall. I odered a horizontal floatswitch, that i will drill into my Brute, at the bottom approx 2-3 inches from bottom. So wires will be outside, and line run to a Breakout Box, to APEX. When that switch turns on Stenner will be shut down.

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
Unread 12/23/2013, 09:27 PM   #261
rps3
Moved On

I gave myself an idea, I'll be teeing off my mixing tank with a John Guest fitting to draw water to the pump and a float valve to kill it. Eddie, I want my breakout box back!

Unread 12/23/2013, 09:44 PM   #262
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps3 View Post
I gave myself an idea, I'll be teeing off my mixing tank with a John Guest fitting to draw water to the pump and a float valve to kill it. Eddie, I want my breakout box back!
Your getting nothing back, but please explain.

Unread 12/23/2013, 10:37 PM   #263
rps3
Moved On

Quote:
Your getting nothing back, but please explain.
My top off container is plumbed to recirculate for 30 mins 4 times a day. I'll be adding a tee for a float switch as well as a john guest fitting for drawing water to the top off system. I'll have to get another breakout box or build one since Eddie stole mine. The float valve will be connected to the breakout box/apex to kill the auto water change when the level is low.

In your case Eddie, just use a uniseal on your mix tank and use a pipe to the HVAC float switch. Easy isn't it?

Unread 12/23/2013, 11:04 PM   #264
dread240
Registered Member

I have 6 switches I've yet to tie into the apex fully, but that's happening over the next week or so. 3 are going in the sump, 1 in the ATO, 1 in the NSW, and 1 in the skimmer.

Middle float will control my ato

During AWC process, the ATO will be disabled, lower float will serve as a new water not getting in or not getting in fast enough, upper float will determine the opposite. My return chamber is very small so changes happen fast in it

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2013, 06:17 AM   #265
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps3 View Post
My top off container is plumbed to recirculate for 30 mins 4 times a day. I'll be adding a tee for a float switch as well as a john guest fitting for drawing water to the top off system. I'll have to get another breakout box or build one since Eddie stole mine. The float valve will be connected to the breakout box/apex to kill the auto water change when the level is low.

In your case Eddie, just use a uniseal on your mix tank and use a pipe to the HVAC float switch. Easy isn't it?
I think my method will be just as simple and effective. Float switch comes with seal.

http://www.autotopoff.com/Floatswitches/horizontal.jpg

Unread 12/24/2013, 07:07 AM   #266
rps3
Moved On

Quote:
I think my method will be just as simple and effective. Float switch comes with seal.

http://www.autotopoff.com/Floatswitches/horizontal.jpg
That's another option in the AC world. There's always options.

Unread 12/24/2013, 02:51 PM   #267
Tickle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacohen View Post
DRThompson;

I'm not sure where you see that this seller is out of stock.
I just looked at the EBay listing I bought it from and he still has "More than 10 available / 30 sold"
Can you maybe PM me the sellers name? I just ebay searched the part number listed and only 1 guy is selling them, if its the same guy he caught on cause he is selling them for $75 a throw now.

You wanna talk about weather and work? Im a farmer and the this morning at 4am in Wisconsin it was -10. Ill take 40-50-60 any day gladly

Current Tank Info: 20L custom AIO, Kessil A150, Budget build
Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2013, 03:11 PM   #268
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
Can you maybe PM me the sellers name? I just ebay searched the part number listed and only 1 guy is selling them, if its the same guy he caught on cause he is selling them for $75 a throw now.

You wanna talk about weather and work? Im a farmer and the this morning at 4am in Wisconsin it was -10. Ill take 40-50-60 any day gladly
I never found it ....original sellers name was uncgenius.

Unread 12/24/2013, 03:18 PM   #269
Tickle
Registered Member

Quote:
I never found it ....original sellers name was uncgenius.
I just sent the seller I found on ebay a offer of 53 per and he accpeted, http://www.ebay.com/itm/221288589068

thats the link, this thread just saved me a ton of money and i didnt need to switch my car insurance!

Unread 12/24/2013, 03:24 PM   #270
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
I just sent the seller I found on ebay a offer of 53 per and he accpeted, http://www.ebay.com/itm/221288589068

thats the link, this thread just saved me a ton of money and i didnt need to switch my car insurance!
saw that one, remember, you still need a second head.

Unread 12/24/2013, 03:25 PM   #271
Tickle
Registered Member

I bought 2 units

Unread 12/24/2013, 03:28 PM   #272
rps3
Moved On

I think the guy a majority of bought from pulled it for now since the holiday is here. I bought both of them for $53.00 shipped. Wait till next year guys, he will probably relist them unless he sold out.

Unread 12/24/2013, 03:49 PM   #273
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

Quote:
I bought 2 units
dont forget to get new tubing; not sure what those were used for but in the orig listing they were used for ink.

Unread 12/24/2013, 04:19 PM   #274
Sacohen
Registered Member

Tickle I just PM'ed you the link.

It does seem to be hidden because you can't find it throw a regular search, but it's still active and he still has "more than 10 available".

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Mixed Reef
Sacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2013, 08:54 PM   #275
Tickle
Registered Member

I just got your pm, it appears he no longer has any, if you look at the top of the post it states "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." Maybe there is some error on ebays end? Still there is a alternative link up in case somebody wants to get some. Thank you for the links to the rebuild kit. $120 for the whole shebang rebuilt is not bad in my eyes.

I guess if I get em and the other guy lists them I can return them. I guess I shoulda read a little harder that you paid 53 for the pair HAHA oh well.

Tags
automated, continuous water changes, daily water changes, stenner pump, water changes