Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2020, 10:38 AM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

Fish Stocking with Territorial Clown and Orchid Dotty

Short story, since I've been home more I've had more time to observe my tank. I've noticed my Clowns have staked out the left corner of thank as they repeatedly lay eggs over there on the power head.

The orchid dottyback roams around and will occasionally nip at the firefish and now at my new lawnmower blenny. Almost seeks out the blenny and keeps him in the lower 1/4 of the tank.

Are there any recommendations to fix this and what other fish I could add that wouldn't be affected by the Clown or Dottyback?

80 gallon tank with only a few corals right now. Mostly softies with a few LPS.

I feed twice a day most days some days only once a day.

I'd like a Tomini tang for algae control or another centerpiece type fish. I'll take recommendations too.

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration
Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Boochika
Registered Member

Anyone have any input on this? I want to make sure when I add my next fish it won't send my existing livestock into a tailspin and the new addtion will be relatively well accepted.

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Unread 04/08/2020, 11:05 AM   #3
mike61289
Registered Member

What type of clowns are they? Knowing the species can help us give you advice as ocellaris and percula clowns are a lot more docile than a tomato or maroon clown.

A tomini tang should be fine, but I have heard mixed things about mixing blennies and tangs. The tomini tangs don't grow quickly and are fairly peaceful for a tang, even in an 80 gallon.

You can consider a pair of banggai cardinals or a trio of pajama cardinals. If you don't have clams in your tank, a yellow wrasse is a nice addition that won't pick on fish or coral.

Unread 04/08/2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Boochika
Registered Member

My tank has 2 ocellaris clown fish, 2 banggai cardinals, 1 firefish, 1 pseudochromis, and the lawnmower blenny.

Only 1 of the clowns is aggressive and the pseudochromis. Not constantly aggressive just periodically nipping at other fish. They really only defend their territory. The clownfish assaults me every time I put my hand in the tank.

I was thinking tomini tang or kole eye tang.

I haven't tried a wrasse based on their need for sand beds to sleep in. I have crushed coral as substrate so I'm not sure it would be suitable for them.

Unread 04/08/2020, 02:11 PM   #5
jambon222
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochika View Post
My tank has 2 ocellaris clown fish, 2 banggai cardinals, 1 firefish, 1 pseudochromis, and the lawnmower blenny.

Only 1 of the clowns is aggressive and the pseudochromis. Not constantly aggressive just periodically nipping at other fish. They really only defend their territory. The clownfish assaults me every time I put my hand in the tank.

I was thinking tomini tang or kole eye tang.

I haven't tried a wrasse based on their need for sand beds to sleep in. I have crushed coral as substrate so I'm not sure it would be suitable for them.
If I had an 80 I would put an angelfish in, blue face, or blue girdled or one of many others available. Possibly one of the centropyge Angel's which are smaller. I dont think the dottyback or clowns would bother these guys and the splash of color would be a bonus.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jambon222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2020, 03:08 PM   #6
DaisyDuke
Registered Member

As long as they each feel like they have a little hideout to go to they will be less naughty. I have had a similar combo and once the Orchid established his hangout, the clownfish pair finally left him alone.

DaisyDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2020, 03:33 PM   #7
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambon222 View Post
If I had an 80 I would put an angelfish in, blue face, or blue girdled or one of many others available. Possibly one of the centropyge Angel's which are smaller. I dont think the dottyback or clowns would bother these guys and the splash of color would be a bonus.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
A centropyge (dwarf angel) could work. Don't get the blue face or majestic, suggested. They get way too big for an 80 gallon.

Unread 04/08/2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Boochika
Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I do like some of the centropyge angel's, but I'm mostly looking for a grazer to keep things a little bit cleaner.

I may just need some more live rock, but I feel like everytime I add some in, my flow gets restricted and issues come up.

To clarify the orchid and clownfish don't bother each other but patrol their areas.

Unread 04/08/2020, 05:50 PM   #9
Boochika
Registered Member

Here is my current layout. Leaves about half the upper area for swimming. Maybe they need more hiding places to chill.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk