Unread 08/03/2019, 01:15 PM   #27
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eholceker View Post
They don't ship by any chance?
They do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 01:37 PM   #28
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I never had Marine Bettas eat fish or even show interest in eating fish. In my experience all they eat are pods and shrimp (and all kinds of dry food).
My Marine Bettas usually don't hide at all. My Assessors on the other hand are the Masters of hiding and I hardly ever see them in tanks with larger or more aggressive fish they feel threatened by. So maybe your Assessors are just hiding. What other fish do you have with them?
All 4 Marine Bettas I have are still females or juveniles, so no spawning yet.

Marine Bettas Are groupies and as such are ambush predators. They will eat small fish and invertebrates. That said I have never seen mine eat any fish and it does not bother my cleaner shrimp. Although I was concerned when I added them. Most predators will not eat things like cleaner shrimp and cleaner gobies as they are benifical to them. I hardly ever see it eat more than a tiny morsel of food. When I first got it 14 years ago I thought it was going to starve it eat so little. I have no idea if mine is a male or female. I am pretty sure it is full grown as it was larger and several years old when I got it 14 years ago. I would like to find a mate for it, especially if they will hide less in pairs.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 04:35 PM   #29
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Marine Bettas Are groupies and as such are ambush predators. They will eat small fish and invertebrates. That said I have never seen mine eat any fish and it does not bother my cleaner shrimp. Although I was concerned when I added them. Most predators will not eat things like cleaner shrimp and cleaner gobies as they are benifical to them. I hardly ever see it eat more than a tiny morsel of food. When I first got it 14 years ago I thought it was going to starve it eat so little. I have no idea if mine is a male or female. I am pretty sure it is full grown as it was larger and several years old when I got it 14 years ago. I would like to find a mate for it, especially if they will hide less in pairs.
Marine Bettas (Calloplesiops altivelis) are not groupers, not even closely related to them. Their closest relatives within the Plesiopidae are the Plesiops, Paraplesiops, Assessor and Trachinops species. Other close related fish families are the Grammas and Jawfish.
And while the members of the genus Plesiops are indeed ambush predators, Calloplesiops are not but rather hunt slowly and "surround" their prey with their tailfin (feed live shrimp to see them hunt).
In the past I actively tried to feed my breeding Marine Betta pairs live and frozen fish (gobies I had as by-catch when catching grass shrimp) and they would not even try to take them, even if I was holding them right in front of their mouths (several of my past Marine Bettas were actually eating out of my hand). On the other hand, shrimp offered the same way would be eagerly taken. So I seriously doubt that they would eat any fish. Their primary food source are actually small crustacean (all kinds of pods) they pursue in a very similar fashion as mandarins.

BTW, my anemonefish back then, especially the clarkii, would eat everything they could swallow and they would eat those gobies with gusto.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 08/03/2019, 06:20 PM   #30
eholceker
Registered Member

Quote:
They do.

Any chance you can let me know the store name?

eholceker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 06:53 PM   #31
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Aquatic Collection in Hayward, CA.

Unread 08/03/2019, 06:55 PM   #32
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
I’m guessing he’s referring to Aquatic Collection in Hayward, CA
I was there today and saw two of them. One was hiding and the other had pretty torn up fins. It’s a good, clean and well run store. But I don’t think I would buy those two in particular from them.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 08:02 PM   #33
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I’m guessing he’s referring to Aquatic Collection in Hayward, CA
I was there today and saw two of them. One was hiding and the other had pretty torn up fins. It’s a good, clean and well run store. But I don’t think I would buy those two in particular from them.
I'm just back from there. You must have seen the blue assessors of which they have several.
The only Assessor randalli they still have left is looking good.

Unread 08/03/2019, 08:57 PM   #34
Bret61081
Registered Member

I have a ORA Randalls I've had for about 2 years with 2 ORA yellows. Still dark blue. I had 2 but lost one in a tank move last year. When I reached out to ORA they said they will have a limited number of captive breed ones later this year. One of my local stores has a nice wild Randalls but I cant justify the 100$ when the captive breed one was only 60$! Ill wait for the ORA later this fall! They all get along and share the same section of the tank! The yellows are a lot more passive where the Randalls in always out. Hopefully, when it gets a bit bigger the yellows will come out of the Randalls

Bret61081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 09:33 PM   #35
Bret61081
Registered Member

Quote:
Aquarium King in Fort Lauderdale has a Nice Randalls as well...I know he ships

Unread 08/03/2019, 09:46 PM   #36
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret61081 View Post
... One of my local stores has a nice wild Randalls but I cant justify the 100$ when the captive breed one was only 60$! ...
$100 is a bit steep assuming that they didn't come from Japan. I only paid $65 for my wild ones which I think is the appropriate price given the fact that they now come in from the Philippines.

Unread 08/05/2019, 03:09 AM   #37
laverda
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Marine Bettas (Calloplesiops altivelis) are not groupers, not even closely related to them. Their closest relatives within the Plesiopidae are the Plesiops, Paraplesiops, Assessor and Trachinops species. Other close related fish families are the Grammas and Jawfish.
And while the members of the genus Plesiops are indeed ambush predators, Calloplesiops are not but rather hunt slowly and "surround" their prey with their tailfin (feed live shrimp to see them hunt).
In the past I actively tried to feed my breeding Marine Betta pairs live and frozen fish (gobies I had as by-catch when catching grass shrimp) and they would not even try to take them, even if I was holding them right in front of their mouths (several of my past Marine Bettas were actually eating out of my hand). On the other hand, shrimp offered the same way would be eagerly taken. So I seriously doubt that they would eat any fish. Their primary food source are actually small crustacean (all kinds of pods) they pursue in a very similar fashion as mandarins.

BTW, my anemonefish back then, especially the clarkii, would eat everything they could swallow and they would eat those gobies with gusto.

Glad you figured out what I intended to say. I didn’t catch my mistake or auto corrects. That is interesting to know. Every online vender I have seen and everything else I have ever read says pretty much what I said. I just checked several sites thinking I may have been wrong about where I got that idea. No they all say similar things including the eat small fish. I learn something new ever day.
I don’t know of any where that sells live shrimp for food in so Ca. You can not even find brine shrimp these days. I have never seen mine go after pods or even look at the rock work for them. All I really ever see it eat is flake food. I will have to watch it specifically next time I feed frozen mysis and when my feeder feeds pellets. I have never seen it move quickly for that matter.

Unread 08/05/2019, 04:40 AM   #38
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Glad you figured out what I intended to say. I didn’t catch my mistake or auto corrects. That is interesting to know. Every online vender I have seen and everything else I have ever read says pretty much what I said. I just checked several sites thinking I may have been wrong about where I got that idea. No they all say similar things including the eat small fish. I learn something new ever day.
I don’t know of any where that sells live shrimp for food in so Ca. You can not even find brine shrimp these days. I have never seen mine go after pods or even look at the rock work for them. All I really ever see it eat is flake food. I will have to watch it specifically next time I feed frozen mysis and when my feeder feeds pellets. I have never seen it move quickly for that matter.
Online vendors have so many things wrong that you should never use them as a reference without further verification.

Latest genetic reserch (Betancur-R et al., 2017) on the relationships within the Percomorpha has the Plesiopidae quite far from the Serranidae (Groupers, Anthias,...):

For live shrimp, try bait shops. Here in the SF Bay Area, they sell grass shrimp and the like. I would think you find bait shops that carry shrimp also in SoCal. Otherwise, Blue Zoo sometimes has live feeder shrimp.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (46.2 KB, 47 views)

Unread 08/06/2019, 12:13 AM   #39
laverda
Registered Member

Assessor randalli

Quote:
Online vendors have so many things wrong that you should never use them as a reference without further verification.

Latest genetic reserch (Betancur-R et al., 2017) on the relationships within the Percomorpha has the Plesiopidae quite far from the Serranidae (Groupers, Anthias,...):

For live shrimp, try bait shops. Here in the SF Bay Area, they sell grass shrimp and the like. I would think you find bait shops that carry shrimp also in SoCal. Otherwise, Blue Zoo sometimes has live feeder shrimp.
I know that is true. When I worked for an online retailer I corrected a lot of errors they had in their fish and invert listings. Sometimes I wondered where the heck they got the information. I never new better on the Marine Bettas and never questioned what I had heard or read. I know a bad idea! You can’t question everything. I don’t know that I would trust Wikipedia, as I have seen a lot of wrong info there as well. But their behavior matches your description better than others I have seen. Thanks for enlightening me.

I will look for shrimp at some bait shops. Should I try freshwater or saltwater bait shops?

I took some photos of my Marine Betta today. I am guessing it is a male. I plan to look for a mate for it in about 2 months, when my Qt will be free.

Unread 08/06/2019, 03:49 PM   #40
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I know that is true. When I worked for an online retailer I corrected a lot of errors they had in their fish and invert listings. Sometimes I wondered where the heck they got the information. I never new better on the Marine Bettas and never questioned what I had heard or read. I know a bad idea! You can’t question everything. I don’t know that I would trust Wikipedia, as I have seen a lot of wrong info there as well. But their behavior matches your description better than others I have seen. Thanks for enlightening me.

I will look for shrimp at some bait shops. Should I try freshwater or saltwater bait shops?

I took some photos of my Marine Betta today. I am guessing it is a male. I plan to look for a mate for it in about 2 months, when my Qt will be free.

That's a female.
Males' heads are more round looking in the profile and their ventral fins are much longer, usually reaching all the way to the end of the anal fin base or even beyond.

I'm generally cautious with information from Wikipedia, but in this case it is basically just a reposting of a peer reviewed research paper.

Unread 08/06/2019, 06:14 PM   #41
laverda
Registered Member

Thanks

Unread 08/07/2019, 06:21 PM   #42
Bret61081
Registered Member

I was able to pick up 2 blues yesterday for 45$ each locally! The Randalls chased them for a little bit now the 2 yellow a blue and the Randalls are all hanging out in one side of the tank.....the other blue is on the other side! It would be nice if they all settle in together!

Unread 12/05/2019, 09:51 AM   #43
yachtdr22
Registered Member

Hi Guys....
Marine Beta lover here... Mine is sick...
any advice??

Hi All...
I have a sick Marine Beta.
He is not eating, going on a week now. Breathing seems normal.
Hes body and fins look a bit knackered up. He is not in his usual roost and is out in the open. lays around, swims a bit. comes to the surface to say hello occasionally..

Tank is a 125 Mixed Reef that has been stable and has NO Changes in ANYTHING in 5 years! this has been a very stable tank for years!. All other fish and corals behaving as usual ? I will get all the parameters shortly, but i dont expect them to say anything different then usual.. , did a normal water change..

Unread 12/05/2019, 11:36 AM   #44
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtdr22 View Post
Hi Guys....
Marine Beta lover here... Mine is sick...
any advice??

Hi All...
I have a sick Marine Beta.
He is not eating, going on a week now. Breathing seems normal.
Hes body and fins look a bit knackered up. He is not in his usual roost and is out in the open. lays around, swims a bit. comes to the surface to say hello occasionally..

Tank is a 125 Mixed Reef that has been stable and has NO Changes in ANYTHING in 5 years! this has been a very stable tank for years!. All other fish and corals behaving as usual ? I will get all the parameters shortly, but i dont expect them to say anything different then usual.. , did a normal water change..
Is this a new fish you just got or a fish that you have for a while?
How large is that fish?

These guys usually come from Indonesia. Unfortunately cyanide fishing is still quite common there and it is often used to catch Marine Bettas. Depending on the dose the fish got it may die soon after, months or even years later, or be just fine.
Then there are a host of internal parasites, infections, and diseases that may affect marine fish. Those things are hard to diagnose properly and often even harder to treat successfully.

Unread 12/05/2019, 11:41 AM   #45
yachtdr22
Registered Member

Fish and all tank mates were introduced as Fry about 5 years ago.
nothing has been added since... no fish, no coral nothing...
same diet, same water change schedule, same salt.. etc...
:-(

Unread 12/05/2019, 11:45 AM   #46
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Fish and all tank mates were introduced as Fry about 5 years ago.
nothing has been added since... no fish, no coral nothing...
same diet, same water change schedule, same salt.. etc...
:-(
Is that fish wild caught or tank bred?

Unread 12/05/2019, 11:52 AM   #47
yachtdr22
Registered Member

I believe LiveAquara was the source.
Just a little guy maybe 3" or so
now about 6"

Unread 12/05/2019, 12:08 PM   #48
yachtdr22
Registered Member

pics

pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mb1.jpg (88.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg mb2.jpg (89.8 KB, 12 views)
Unread 12/05/2019, 05:00 PM   #49
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
pics
That looks pretty serious. I would isolate the fish in a hospital tank and start antibiotics treatment (septra). Not sure if it helps much, but it's better than doing nothing.

Unread 12/06/2019, 12:12 PM   #50
yachtdr22
Registered Member

Thanks...
He has passed over the Rainbow Lagoon... :-(

Tags
assessor randalli