Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2019, 03:27 AM   #251
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I have not seen the bumblebee snails go after any other types of snails. They are MUCH smaller in my tank so I don't know if that matters or not. I assume they will go after some other fan worms, etc. Maybe not. I'll have to check those as I know I've got some patches of those tiny fan worms, etc.

The bumblebee snails are super slow. I rarely see them move at all. Guessing the larger snails would easily escape them or at least not get killed by them.
One LFS told me that bumblebees go after corals. Did you notice them do that?

In my tank, the vermetid snails are likely the better food source because I have the rocks covered with little ones and I'm just starting with corals.

BTW, has anyone ever tried small puffers like the figure-8 puffer (Dichotomyctere ocellatus)? Are they going after vermetid snails?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2019, 06:24 AM   #252
Isayso
Registered Member

I tried the Toby,was good until one day he started to like
Ps and zoos and lps
But where do you find the figure 8 puffer?

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2019, 12:17 PM   #253
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
But where do you find the figure 8 puffer?
I would think Petco, PetSmart, LiveAquaria, or many LFS with freshwater department might have them.
They are usually sold as freshwater or brackish fish but they are actually saltwater fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 06/17/2019, 07:29 AM   #254
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
One LFS told me that bumblebees go after corals. Did you notice them do that?

In my tank, the vermetid snails are likely the better food source because I have the rocks covered with little ones and I'm just starting with corals.

BTW, has anyone ever tried small puffers like the figure-8 puffer (Dichotomyctere ocellatus)? Are they going after vermetid snails?
No, I've never seen them on a coral. Haven't heard of them eating corals before either but I suppose it's possible if they don't have the preferred food source... possibly someone bought them because they liked the look but didn't actually have vermetids in the tank.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2019, 10:47 AM   #255
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
No, I've never seen them on a coral. Haven't heard of them eating corals before either but I suppose it's possible if they don't have the preferred food source... possibly someone bought them because they liked the look but didn't actually have vermetids in the tank.
Well, I'm gonna give bumblebees a shot.
Right now I certainly have far more vermetids than corals in my tank. I fear most of the vermetids in my tank are babies of the really large kind, so I want to fight them while they are still small. I actually spent a good deal of time to go over the rocks and snap all the large ones off but the small ones were just too many and it too secluded spaces.

Unread 06/17/2019, 12:36 PM   #256
shred5
Registered Member

I have seen a few different type of Vermetid snails so I wonder if bumblebee snails only can eat certain types or size? I have seen Vermetid snails with very small tubes while others are very large.

Unread 06/18/2019, 06:09 AM   #257
2000se
Registered Member

Good luck with all of this..These things are terrible. I had to nuke a tank because of all of them. Was so tired of them being EVERYWHERE!

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2019, 06:29 AM   #258
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
I have seen a few different type of Vermetid snails so I wonder if bumblebee snails only can eat certain types or size? I have seen Vermetid snails with very small tubes while others are very large.
Correct. I haven't seen them go for the large vermetids and I assume they won't unless supply of small guys becomes quite low. Good thing is that the large ones are easy to kill by hand and are not as numerous. I believe they are a different species.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2019, 04:31 PM   #259
becon776
Registered Member

i think i might give the 8line puffer a go. rock and tank jist sitting there in my basement

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 01:31 PM   #260
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
... Good thing is that the large ones are easy to kill by hand and are not as numerous. I believe they are a different species.
They are Ceraesignum maximum (formerly Dendropoma maximum) and by my experience they can get quite numerous and are not as easy to kill as you may think, at least not in a fully stocked tank.
It seems they are affected by a pathogen that kills them very targeted. Unfortunately it's nothing you could easily get.

I've employed a few bumble bee snails for the little ones and plan on training a couple of figure 8 puffers to go after the large ones.

Unread 07/19/2019, 12:56 PM   #261
giz1007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
You can tell that you need do dose more when algae starts growing on your glass again.

My experiences are with commercial and personal tanks. In all cases, these are ULN systems and the filtration is able to keep up with the die off. with that in mind, you don’t want to hit your tank hard with a strong dose up front. Rather, you want to slowly introduce this medication. It will absolutely work provided you don’t do this too quickly. Your first sign that the CP is working is that you stop having to clean the glass so often. All algae dies off, snails and worms die off too. If you have a mature tank with lots of worms, then they are going to increase your risk of an ammonia spike.

Now if you detect ammonia with a test kit, then dose amquel. Both products are compatible.

So the truly difficult part is taking this slow while knowing it will work as long as the die off doesn’t all happen overnight. Since I don’t know your tank, I would advise to go ultra slow with 10% of the typical dose added to your tank once per week over a period of up to 10 weeks. The first three weeks you will know if your filtration system can handle the snail the die off. Just keep dosing 10% per week eventually it will kick in. You probably won’t even need to get up to go the full 10 weeks. When all the snails are dead, just leave the med in the tank for another month and enjoy the algae free and snail free look of you new tank. Then introduce carbon and water changes.

To minimize risk, I would not turn off your skimmer at any point and I would also plan to change out your filter socks every couple of days.

Note that the commercial (LFS) tanks and personal tank are all relatively new tanks where CP was planned for from the beginning. The LFS tanks are given small maintenance doses every two weeks or so when the glass starts to show an algae haze. If your tank is mature with lots of worms then you could have die off just like if you dosed prazipro in your DT. Both are safe with caution but you have to go slowly. Both will kill all the worms in your tank and ammonia may become an issue so tastyfish’s story is something to be concerned about. Manually remove all the regular snails and worms you can find with a fish net going through the sand.
Per the Ick-shield powder instructions it suggests that reef lights should be off during dosing, if it's dosed over such a long period is it ok to keep lights on as normal?

Just waiting on amquel delivery next week, then the nuking will begin, moving my corals this weekend to QT tank along with shrimp will post picks on progress as this is the only way I see this vermin being eliminated.

giz1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2019, 04:41 PM   #262
saphosbro
Registered Member

Okay i only skimmed the thread but has the use of lasers been talked about? I have a 445nm 5mw cheap ebay laser i have successfully used to kill many many vermetid's.

It obviously does not wipe out the entire population but keeps in check and also keeps them from spreading when you cook them with the laser.

For a while i had several dozen and after using the laser have not seen any in months but i do expect to need to zap more in the future.

saphosbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 06:29 AM   #263
giz1007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1626 View Post
Update:
My tank is free of them as I can see. Once my tank started showing no ammonia again I ran carbon and started a couple of larger water changes. This was at about 9 -10 days after initial treatment. I put a sacrificial monti frag in after about 3 days of running carbon. 3 days after that i noticed no I'll affects so I started adding the rest of my frags. All frags have been returned to the DT and all are doing great. I've continued to run carbon throughout just to be safe.

Once water changes started and carbon was added algae came back fast. Lots of nutrients available now. Just seems to be a green film type. Thankfully no hair algae yet. I've yet to add any snails back as I've given all a scrub with a wire brush and have them in quarantine to make sure there is no more vermetid growth. My two maxima clams have been scrubbed and await their return to the DT as well.

So far so good. Hopefully things continue on the right track.
Hey RC, Did you get rid of the vermetid's and what did you take enough precaution to prevent they're reentry to the cleaned DT?

Unread 07/24/2019, 12:35 PM   #264
rc1626
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz1007 View Post
Hey RC, Did you get rid of the vermetid's and what did you take enough precaution to prevent they're reentry to the cleaned DT?
Unfortunately it did not eliminate the vermetid snails. They are still present to this day but are much less in number. Not sure if this is due to tank maturity or if something else has played a role in their decline.

rc1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2019, 07:57 AM   #265
giz1007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1626 View Post
Unfortunately it did not eliminate the vermetid snails. They are still present to this day but are much less in number. Not sure if this is due to tank maturity or if something else has played a role in their decline.
Thanks

Unread 07/25/2019, 09:37 AM   #266
giz1007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
You can tell that you need do dose more when algae starts growing on your glass again.

My experiences are with commercial and personal tanks. In all cases, these are ULN systems and the filtration is able to keep up with the die off. with that in mind, you don’t want to hit your tank hard with a strong dose up front. Rather, you want to slowly introduce this medication. It will absolutely work provided you don’t do this too quickly. Your first sign that the CP is working is that you stop having to clean the glass so often. All algae dies off, snails and worms die off too. If you have a mature tank with lots of worms, then they are going to increase your risk of an ammonia spike.

Now if you detect ammonia with a test kit, then dose amquel. Both products are compatible.

So the truly difficult part is taking this slow while knowing it will work as long as the die off doesn’t all happen overnight. Since I don’t know your tank, I would advise to go ultra slow with 10% of the typical dose added to your tank once per week over a period of up to 10 weeks. The first three weeks you will know if your filtration system can handle the snail the die off. Just keep dosing 10% per week eventually it will kick in. You probably won’t even need to get up to go the full 10 weeks. When all the snails are dead, just leave the med in the tank for another month and enjoy the algae free and snail free look of you new tank. Then introduce carbon and water changes.

To minimize risk, I would not turn off your skimmer at any point and I would also plan to change out your filter socks every couple of days.

Note that the commercial (LFS) tanks and personal tank are all relatively new tanks where CP was planned for from the beginning. The LFS tanks are given small maintenance doses every two weeks or so when the glass starts to show an algae haze. If your tank is mature with lots of worms then you could have die off just like if you dosed prazipro in your DT. Both are safe with caution but you have to go slowly. Both will kill all the worms in your tank and ammonia may become an issue so tastyfish’s story is something to be concerned about. Manually remove all the regular snails and worms you can find with a fish net going through the sand.
Do u keep reef lights off for total period, (ie) looks like 3 1/2 months?
how do the fish cope in black out situation for so long?
I've read about CP not being good for certain types of fish - Hippo's and Anthias / 6 line rasses etc.. of course all the types I have in my display!!!

great thread, planning to do a dose of ICk shield powder but worried it won't work?

Unread 07/25/2019, 03:07 PM   #267
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Bacteria will degrade CP (and many other medications) rather quickly as this study on Praziquantel (the active ingredient of PraziPro) shows: Praziquantel degradation in marine aquarium water
Similar observations have been made with CP, so its use in an established tank is rather questionable.

Unread 01/23/2020, 01:06 PM   #268
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I've been thinking about this for a while.

This is a good read.

https://academic.oup.com/mollus/arti.../2/133/1067836

Then I started looking at various molluscicides. One jumps out at me, Ferric sodium EDTA. It's a type of chelated iron, and while highly toxic to arthropods, that may be a price we have to pay to win the war.

I am wondering if it's function in a saltwater environment is such that the concentrations needed to kill the vermatids is low enough that fish and coral would be unharmed. It reacts with the copper based compound in the blood of molluscs.

Another approach I was considering... In the study above, it shows that the brooding females lay egg sacks that swell and intake water. I'm wondering if a combination of manual removal and low doses of iron can halt reproduction of vermatids all together and then manual removal over time can rid them.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2020, 08:03 PM   #269
Isayso
Registered Member

If I had opportunity to use chemical I would have done, but because I don't have access to it I pulled the plug, and bleached the hell of everything

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 01/23/2020, 10:04 PM   #270
five.five-six
Registered Member

I have been dosing zeovit coral snow for about 3 weeks now and am seeing a dramatic impact, time will tell.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 06:51 AM   #271
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I have been dosing zeovit coral snow for about 3 weeks now and am seeing a dramatic impact, time will tell.
The impact is in a positive way or in a negative way?

Unread 01/24/2020, 06:53 AM   #272
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
The impact is in a positive way or in a negative way?
I think that’s a mater of perspective. In a really bad way if you are a vermetid snail.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 06:54 AM   #273
Isayso
Registered Member

For me it went out of control ,I did try everything but the chemical,
Check these pictures
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJaQC76

Unread 01/24/2020, 07:59 AM   #274
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
For me it went out of control ,I did try everything but the chemical,
Check these pictures
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJaQC76
Your vermetid problem is the worst I've seen...

I don't even really notice mine anymore so I don't worry about them. Occasionally, a coral will encrust over it so ill notice the irregular growth.

Unread 01/24/2020, 08:00 AM   #275
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while.

This is a good read.

https://academic.oup.com/mollus/arti.../2/133/1067836

Then I started looking at various molluscicides. One jumps out at me, Ferric sodium EDTA. It's a type of chelated iron, and while highly toxic to arthropods, that may be a price we have to pay to win the war.

I am wondering if it's function in a saltwater environment is such that the concentrations needed to kill the vermatids is low enough that fish and coral would be unharmed. It reacts with the copper based compound in the blood of molluscs.

Another approach I was considering... In the study above, it shows that the brooding females lay egg sacks that swell and intake water. I'm wondering if a combination of manual removal and low doses of iron can halt reproduction of vermatids all together and then manual removal over time can rid them.
This is intriguing...