Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2016, 01:37 PM   #1
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Will this system work?

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up an in-basement sump and water change station and I'm looking for some help with the design I came up with. I just want to make sure the layout won't end up with a flooded basement and divorce papers.

I've attached a file showing a non-scale schematic. What I'd like to do is be able to drain the saltwater (B) vessel after closing it off from the system, then allow gravity to refill the vessel with mixed saltwater from the RO storage vessel (A).

Does this setup look like it will work, to those who have done basement setups? Any advice on what to do / not do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

System
110 tall
30 gallon sump
Iwaki 70RT
Mixed reef

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AQUARIUM SYSTEM SCHEMATIC.jpg (34.1 KB, 64 views)
pacificdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Psirex
Registered Member

What will be in section B out side of water? Filtration?

posted using alternating currents.....

Unread 11/29/2016, 01:49 PM   #3
ericarenee
Registered Member

This is similar to my setup....

The difference . i have two ro di water tanks each are 55 gallons. one i keep full of ro/di water then other is my mixing tank.. They share a pump and are raised at the same level above my sump level.

Here is the thing adding that second saltwater tank will increase your water volume but is it worth having that much extra water It will greatly increase your water change amounts and i am not sure that tank alone will be large enough of a water change...

i would instead have a t on your return pump to a drain so you can use that to divert the water from your tank to the drain for water changes .. then you can open the valve from the mixing tank and have the fresh mixed saltwater refill the sump.. this is how i do it .. also your going to need much larger heaters..

Just my opinion.... but yes it will work as it is ..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 11:07 PM   #4
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psirex View Post
What will be in section B out side of water? Filtration?

posted using alternating currents.....
Wasn't planning on having anything in there; it was mainly just to be able to drain a specific volume and then replace the exact same volume predictably. I suppose I could add live rock as added filtration, but it would cut down on my change volume. Any suggestions?

Unread 11/29/2016, 11:09 PM   #5
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
This is similar to my setup....

The difference . i have two ro di water tanks each are 55 gallons. one i keep full of ro/di water then other is my mixing tank.. They share a pump and are raised at the same level above my sump level.

Here is the thing adding that second saltwater tank will increase your water volume but is it worth having that much extra water It will greatly increase your water change amounts and i am not sure that tank alone will be large enough of a water change...

i would instead have a t on your return pump to a drain so you can use that to divert the water from your tank to the drain for water changes .. then you can open the valve from the mixing tank and have the fresh mixed saltwater refill the sump.. this is how i do it .. also your going to need much larger heaters..

Just my opinion.... but yes it will work as it is ..
I like your idea - thanks for the input. I suppose my current plan would also cause problems in the long term, since I would slowly add salt to my RO tank with each batch of saltwater that would be mixed, but not completely drained from the A container. I'll add a third container that the RODI storage tank will drain into, and then mix there. That way, everything will stay separated.

Thanks again to both of you for the help!

Unread 11/30/2016, 07:21 PM   #6
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificdiver View Post
I like your idea - thanks for the input. I suppose my current plan would also cause problems in the long term, since I would slowly add salt to my RO tank with each batch of saltwater that would be mixed, but not completely drained from the A container. I'll add a third container that the RODI storage tank will drain into, and then mix there. That way, everything will stay separated.

I do not think there would be enough salt water left in the mixing salt water to making new ro/di water to make a difference..
my thing is i have 150 gallons of water made at all times... I actually have 3 tanks 2 are ro/di water one is my mixing tank. (I just found 4 of them for 20.00 on craigslist )the 4th one i use for waste line on ro/di in summer to water flowers outside. they are easy to get here because they use them at the bourbon distilleries that are all over here.

You could also run your ato from the ro/di tank. i have a 25 gallon square tank that i have my ato in . i have it separate because i use kalk in there .There is a pump in the tank that runs for 30 min twice a day..

I need to post some pics once i get the sump / aquarium room down there complete.. Some day..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2016, 09:48 PM   #7
jewlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificdiver View Post

IF you think about it, the first time you mixed salt in your ro tank, you'd leave a little bit behind. The next time it would re dissolve into the new ro water and be carried out when you drain it. As long as you're always mixing your new salt water to the same salinity, your upper tank would never accumulate any more salt than it did after the first time.

jewlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2016, 05:28 AM   #8
GauteG
Registered Member

In your shown setup, you may want to add a T with a valve, so the water from your displaytank can return to your sump while you are emptying tank B and refill it from tank A

GauteG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, plumbing, sump, water change station