Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Red_Ant
Registered Member

Skimmer & Deep Sand Bed Rubbermaid sump ?

I'll try not to get too long winded.

I'm using a 100 gal Rubbermaid tank as my sump. I want to utilize the space as best as possible. Water height is 20" so I have to raise my skimmer about 12". I was thinking of putting a remote DSB container underneath the pipe/eggcrate stand holding the skimmer.

I originally thought about making the whole 100 gal bottom a dsb, but using the remote container inside I can always remove it if needed. I have about 200lbs of live rock that will go in the sump so need all the space I can use. Also was thinking the dsb under the skimmer would catch some detritus that would help feed the dsb.

Thoughts?

Red_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2012, 02:17 PM   #2
on the spot
Registered Member

I'd keep the DSB separate from the sump entirely. Keeping excess crap (literal) out of it would be best too.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Red_Ant
Registered Member

Want to keep it in the sump, but will be able to remove later if needed. Anyone else?

Unread 11/04/2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Red_Ant
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 12/05/2016, 10:16 PM   #5
hawaiiansky
Registered Member

I was thinking of using my 200gal rubbermaid as remote DSB/sump as well! It would be plumbed outside my house for my 100g DT. My only issue is that I'm worried about rats out here in HI getting into it. SO far so good with the 20 gal I have. I was thinking of putting the 20 gal sump inside the 200g rubbermaid to skim out of and dose, etc. Maybe I'd need to cut a hole in it? Thanks!

hawaiiansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 06:36 AM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

IMHO, putting a removable DSB in your sump is a fine idea. I would consider, however, using something along the lines of a 5g bucket full of sand that sits in the sump near the skimmer rather than underneath it. You could just redirect a part of the overflow from the DT and allow the bucket to simply overflow into the sump.

I think you will be able to better utilize it that way, and should it become necessary, it will be simple to remove

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 07:30 PM   #7
Mad_Reefer
Registered Member

I think it is a great idea. As long as the flow isn't moving the sand, I think higher flow is better. You will gain oxygen from skimmer and it is not needed for dsb, so maybe keep them apart.

Mad_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep, dsb, rubbermaid, skimmers, sump