Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2009, 10:53 AM   #1
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
My New 100 Gallon Shallow Rimless SPS Build

Well I've decided to build a New 100 Gal Rimless tank but first I need to say good bye to my old 90 gal oceanic. It was a all T5' tank when T5's were not the craze and it was really my learning tank into sps. I did not take many pictures of the old 90 but here's a pic of it back about 6 months ago from the side view.

bye old 90 G!

Now for the New!
My friend and work peer, Dobly 1999, really helped me alot along the way. Together we did alot of research, building and testing. With his help spending my money LOL. This is what we finally came up with. I will be transferring most of my corals into the new tank, and using most of my exsisting equipment and a few new additions. The one main difference is the new lighting. I really had great success with T5's and love the fact of low power and awesome colors on sps. It was an extreemly difficult decision to move away from T5's especially with HQI 150 watts but I thought with the 4 T5's I should be able to adjust the colors as needed. I wanted to have low power consumption and use no chiller on this system so I chose the Gieseman infinity 2 x 150 hqi with 4xT5's. This way i can adjust colors with the many T5's and still have some shimmer in the low rimless tank. The finish on this fixture is unlike anything I've seen anywhere. It has the finish of a luxury car. I really like this lighting system.

The specs.

Tank = 48X24X20H three sided starphyer with Glass-hole overflow box
Stand = Oceanic Tech stand all black (love the fact that 3 sides open up for service)
Lighting = Gieseman Infinity 2x 150HQI with 4 T5's
Skimmer = Bubble King Mini 200
Water Movement = Tunze 7095 controller with 2x6100 and 2x6055
Calcium REactor = MRC
Aquamedic triple doser
Custom built Kalkreactor
Custom built ATO

I found a local tank builder that was recommended by a lfs and went to see his work before ordering it. He had outstanding finish on the tanks being built there and at that point i decided to use him for my custom tank.

Heres a few pics of the tank being built.

Last edited by reefsahoy; 06/29/2009 at 11:50 AM.
reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 11:05 AM   #2
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Heres a pic of the difference starphyer makes vs regular glass.

Here's a few pic of the stand that i chose. Unlike you guys up north whom have basements for all your equipment, We Floridians have to use our tank stand to it's fullest capabilities from the lack of a basement. I love the fact that all three sides are accessable for servicing anything under the tank and the fact that the flooring is low giving maximum usage under the tank.

side view

Unread 06/29/2009, 11:18 AM   #3
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Lighting was a big deal as stated before. T5's are great for low power consumption and they are cool running. It was a hard decision to go HQI from the success I've had with T5's but decided to give it a try because the tank is low enough to go with 150 watts and 4t5's This will allow me not to run a chiller on my new tank and still give me the flexability to choose T5's colors to custom adjust for coral colors. When I chose the Gieseman Infinity I was really troubled it had no LED's for moon lighting. I eventually bought the light and modified it to have LED's for moon lighting. It was important for the light to look "finished" and that's why i chose the Gieseman fixture. This is what I came up with and I think I have accomplished the "finished" look. This fixture has an awesome finish to it. It's painted like a high end luxury car. It has a Graphite metallic look. The other important factor in choosing this light is the fact that it has no fans, so it will be absolutely quiet. The finish has a mesh finish to it so it can "breathe" to keep the bulbs cool using convection air movement. the top has a small opening to let the hot air out and the mesh on the bottom and sides are to let the cool air in.

here's the underside with the LED mod

and the closeup of the finish. I used a thin metallic thread to "sew" the LED's unto the fixture.

Last edited by reefsahoy; 06/29/2009 at 11:51 AM.
Unread 06/29/2009, 11:19 AM   #4
SunnyX
Moved On

Looks great! I cant wait to see this setup! That fixture look awesome.

Subscribing!

SunnyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 11:23 AM   #5
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Looking good so far. Will be following this thread! Nice cabinet too

v1...rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 11:26 AM   #6
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

The tank should arrive today at the lfs and I will be assembling it over the July 4th weekend. I just want to say thanks for the encouragement that I've gotten from Sunnyx, Dobly 1999, and 143gadgets. You guys are what got me in trouble and into going rimless. Sunnyx has been great at giving opinions and information towards the success of sps. The only problem I have with him was him disappearing when having to explain why I had to go rimless to the wife!

Unread 06/29/2009, 11:33 AM   #7
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX
Looks great! I cant wait to see this setup! That fixture look awesome.

Subscribing!
Thanks Sunnyx! I really love this fixture! The finish on it is awesome. The only draw back was it didn't have LED moon lights and that's what took me so long in deciding to actually get it. I like the solution that I came up with. I will have shimmer at night too!!!

Unread 06/29/2009, 11:35 AM   #8
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
Originally posted by v1...rotate
Looking good so far. Will be following this thread! Nice cabinet too
Thanks! I have this cabinet on the 90 gallon too and fell in love with it. In florida we have no basement so if you want to hide all the equipment from view, cabinet real estate becomes of upmost importance. This cabinet fits the bill!

Unread 06/29/2009, 11:47 AM   #9
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by reefsahoy
Thanks! I have this cabinet on the 90 gallon too and fell in love with it. In florida we have no basement so if you want to hide all the equipment from view, cabinet real estate becomes of upmost importance. This cabinet fits the bill!
haha... I know exactly what you talking about. I'm in the final stages of planing my next tank too. The cabinet planning is critical since I have to keep all the equipment in there too. It would be great to have a spare room even a basement... but hey, it's Hong Kong... there is no space left.

Looking forward to watching your journey

v1...rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 07:05 PM   #10
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Well all the waiting is over. The tank is finally here! The wait was well worth it! The finish is awesome! Overall A+!

Tank, lights and stand

Maximum Real Estate in the tank. Used a different approach to the overflow to get the maximum footprint usage. This product suppose to be ultra quiet too!

Unread 06/29/2009, 07:42 PM   #11
SunnyX
Moved On

Awesome! That overflow looks much better than a standard box one.

The tank is a great dimension isn't it?

Unread 06/29/2009, 07:49 PM   #12
spleify
Registered Member

Nice I love the size of that thing!!

Can't wait to see it come together!

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 08:09 PM   #13
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX
Awesome! That overflow looks much better than a standard box one.

The tank is a great dimension isn't it?
Yeah, that overflow is nice! The dimensions of the tank is perfect for me. I like the fact that the gallonage is small enough where i can afford to do anything i want to do and not break the bank doing it!.

I found a problem with the tank! There is a imperfection in the middle of the viewing plane. There is a small bubble in the glass so i contacted the builder who is willing to replace or rebuild the tank but i would have to wait at least three weeks to get it again. Now I'm in a BIG delimma. Do I wait for a rebuild or just take this one and go forward with the tank build? The bubble is about the size of a ball point pen tip but just to the center of the viewing plane. It's not the builders fault because the imperfection is not a scratch but a bubble in the glass itself.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS!! Damn!

Unread 06/29/2009, 08:19 PM   #14
soccerbag
Chalices did this to me..

Great looking tank. Boy, that is a delimma. I know you're in a hurry but if you know it's there, you will see it everytime you look at the tank. At least I would. If you're spending good money, you should have a perfect tank to start with. But if you can get past the imperfection, then put some water in that thing... : )

Great size tank and I love that overflow. Looking forward to seeing what you're gonna do with this tank.

Craig

Please check out my Reef Website!

Current Tank Info: 246g Display, 39g Frag Tank, Sfiligoi XR6, Royal Exclusiv AC 300, 2 x MP60ES Vortech's, 2-part with LMIII, Apex.
soccerbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 08:28 PM   #15
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
Originally posted by soccerbag
Great looking tank. Boy, that is a delimma. I know you're in a hurry but if you know it's there, you will see it everytime you look at the tank. At least I would. If you're spending good money, you should have a perfect tank to start with. But if you can get past the imperfection, then put some water in that thing... : )

Great size tank and I love that overflow. Looking forward to seeing what you're gonna do with this tank.

Craig
I'm like you, I'll see the imperfection everytime i look at the tank! It's just that I've waited 2 months for this tank and now another few weeks to a month is just so long! I'm leaning towards replacing the tank but gonna sleep on it tonight then see what it looks like in the morning. It's more obvious when the lights go on. it looks like a bubble in the tank.

Unread 06/29/2009, 08:47 PM   #16
stagcrazy
Registered Member

love the tank love the dimensions looks like an awesome build wait till u see the difference starfire glass does i have a 20 gallon starfire nano and a 150 non starfire and i wish i can make that 150 starfire.btw i feel your pain on the inperfection but if it is really that small i doubt u see it when it is filled with rock and al the LE/AE premium corals that are going to go in that beast gl with your choice.subscribing.

stagcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 09:11 PM   #17
t5Nitro
Registered Member

Great looking setup already.

Current Tank Info: Left the hobby, looking to re-enter in the future
t5Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 09:20 PM   #18
plyle02
Registered Member

Looking sweet... Should be a masterpiece in no time.... Great Job!!!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2009, 09:23 PM   #19
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

tagging along, looks like it's going to be a nice setup. I'd replace the tank. chances are you're going to be looking at it more when the lights are on . It's a new product that I'm sure you forked a good chunk for, it shouldn't have any imperfections!

Unread 06/30/2009, 05:31 AM   #20
dobly_1999
Registered Member

Nice man, just plain nice.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 18x18x19 25g reef ready, sump, Euphotica 16 LED lights, SPS
dobly_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2009, 05:48 AM   #21
SunnyX
Moved On

Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about the bubble. By the time you have corals and rocks in there you will forget all about the bubble.

Unread 06/30/2009, 06:40 AM   #22
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

dp, sorry

Unread 06/30/2009, 06:42 AM   #23
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

stagcrazy, yes starphyer is an awesome glass. I have a one sided starphyer in my 90g now.

t5Nitro thanks

pyle02 I hope so! I hope to be as successful with MH as I was with T5's. I'm only consuming 200 more watts for 8hs/day. The fact that the tank is shallow is why i went 150watt MH, otherwise i'd gone the way of T5's so I wouldn't have to use a chiller! I just hate the noise, heat thrown off by it, the fact that it won't fit under the stand and cost of running the larger MH

EvMiBo thanks and I tend to agree with you, however there are other concerns, like, getting another tank with imperfections, i lready scheduled help for the transfer of livestock, long weekend to complete work, etc.

dobly_1999 thanks to you for your patients and helping me decide which way to go. you are a great source of info too.

Sunnyx thanks for the input! i will have to really decide if this will irritate me when i look at the tank.

Unread 06/30/2009, 07:01 AM   #24
kretzkiller
Registered Member

imperfections bother and stress me out. I would replace the tank, but I would also understand not wanting to.

kretzkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2009, 07:40 AM   #25
GSMguy
Registered Member

off to a good start.

i like that overflow, i wish mine was smaller.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote