Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2017, 11:57 AM   #1
DrChop
Registered Member

Refugium For JBJ 28g Nano Stand

I have always wanted to build a refugium/sump for one of my systems, so thanks to JBJ designing a really bad thought out stand, I had the chance. My wife had been wanting to setup a reef tank since she has never had one, and me having several in the past, figured why not. The lfs had a smoking deal on the JBJ systems, and having had their 14g years ago, jumped on it. Well, this stand is poo! Too shallow and too narrow for an off the shelf 10g tank to fit as a sump, and the only option, 5.5g.

Well, grabbed an empty at PetCo for $13 (they are never part of the $1 per gallon sales since they have a minimum), a tube of ASI silicone on amamzon for $9, a cheapie glass cutter for $3 at Home Depot, and a sheet of glass for $8 also at depot and bam!! Never cut glass before, so it was a fun thing to tackle. Only broke one piece, was a bad cut actually, but also was able to cut down for one of the return baffles, so nothing lost.

Chamber 1 was setup originally for the flex hose with sock and to fit an AquaEuro Nano II skimmer. I have since, last week actually, swapped out that baby skimmer for a SC Aquariums SCA-301 and it had to be shaved just a tad to fit, but it fits hahaha...Got real lucky there, real lucky. The 2nd chamber houses 10 media pure 2" bio cubes and 2lbs of Miracle mud along with a few varieties of Macro. The return chamber has a 3 baffle setup to catch bubbles and houses a CPR Nano Tumbler (with Phosguard and Carbon) and a RIO+ 1400 pump. Not a bad little setup, but I think I will be attempting to build a whole tank so I can reconfigure it all.

DrChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Drag Racer
Registered Member

looks good. Allot of stuff in a small area.

Link to my DIY HOB Fuge for 4 gallon tank http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971283

Current Tank Info: 75gal fresh 4 Gallon Pico
Drag Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbj, nano, refugium, sca-301, sump