Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2017, 01:32 PM   #26
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

20170405_075856.jpg20170405_075927.jpg20170405_223032.jpg20170405_223104.jpg20170405_223126.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reef of Fillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 01:33 PM   #27
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

20170405_223135.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Unread 04/06/2017, 01:57 PM   #28
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

The first couple of pictures were just before, and just after adding the sand to the tank.

The third is the Marineland LED light that was included with the 75 gallon tank (Craigslist).

The fourth picture, and the picture on the second post are:

8 bulb T5 lighting fixture (won't turn on, where would I go to get this looked at?)

Fiberglass? Propagation tank with sump tank. I plan to use the 8 bulb t5 with the prop tank [eventually] or to use the prop tank as a quarantine tank (also have a 10gallon for quarantine) or i'm not really sure, but it was free with the 40gallon tank!

Any suggestions on the 8 bulb t5 fixture, and where/how to check to see what isnt' working on it?

Any suggestions for what to use the propagation tank for?

I have a 4 bulb T5 fixture, and the marineland LED on the tank now, and those will be my lights until I either fix the 8 bulb T5, or buy/build better LED lights for the whole tank.

Unread 04/07/2017, 05:03 PM   #29
powderblue1
Registered Member

QTs are what most people use extra tanks for. I never used one. UNTIL I GOT ICH! But almost unavoidable on certain fish. I used hyposalinity method to cure though. Took a while, but that was about 2 years ago and nothing on any since. I hate chemical treatments... You might want to invest in a good UV filter. (AquaUV makes the industry standard in my opinion) You could try to make one, but that is never usually the same. I use a 25 model on my 120 and a 15 model on my 55 and nothing on my 40.
Get those crabs in ASAP (bluelegged, scarlets, emeralds. Wait a week on the snails and turbos, Nassarius etc. (they can be a little touchy). You can also add damsels (they are tough, but a pain to get out after they served their purpose, so make sure you like the way they look and you want to keep them unless you are looking to mess up all your aquascape getting them out later) BTW Ocellaris clowns are in the same family, but not quite as hardy as the other damsels. I would stick to hardy fish for a few months (4-6) to see how you do and get through the "Uglies" before thinking about what you want long term. Remember the more crabs the better once you get fully stocked with fish. They are tiny and eat detritus and some nuisance algae. And a sand-sifting-star once you added all your inhabitants (you'll hear controversy about them Don't listen. One in a 75 will do just fine if you have a population of fish and inverts you are feeding regularly.

Send pics once you are up and running with fish! BTW, I don't know what type of corals, if any, you are going to try, but the lighting will probably have to be pumped up if you are. I like the Truelumen Led strips. They are light, put out insane PAR and use limited wattage. They also last 10-12 years.

Keep on Reefin'

powderblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 09:49 AM   #30
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

Ill be going softies/LPS for a year or so, and then possibly stepping up tank size (160 if the wife will agree [keep poking around about a powder blue which she really likes])

Sticking with the T5's until I decide about a new tank, then likely to do DIY LED fixture.

I have that 8-lamp T5 fixture, but I don't know how to diagnose why it won't turn on, was hoping someone had some experience with getting lights fixed/checked on and where they were able to get them fixed

Unread 04/10/2017, 10:11 AM   #31
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef of Fillory View Post
You answered without even knowing it, lol

I was going to use something like that, or some aluminum strapping nailed/screwed in to the back of the stand, just wasn't sure the best way to actually attach them due to the vertical/45 of the pipes? Support on the 45, or on the vertical stretch?

Also thought about taking a 2x4 and ripping it down to that gap size+the pvc, and then drilling spots with a hole saw, and using strapping on the outside edge of the 2x4 holes to hold on/in the pipes.
I see. so You want to sit your pipes in a cradle that is routed/hole sawn with inset semi-circles. Then on the outside use something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-PVC-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds or a flexible strap to hold them in the cradle?
That sounds like it would work well.

I think my idea works as well. just drill a hole through the back of the stand, insert threaded rod, nut it on each side and then add something like this: http://hkjoylight.en.made-in-china.c...-JL-HPCT-.html
Or, if you don't want to cut the rod length precisely, you can use this: https://www.erico.com/category.asp?c...g-applications
Personally I like the second option because it makes it easy to detach the pipe by just unsnapping.

Whatever you want to do! Just start googling clamp, pvc, strapping and you can find a creative custom solution. Good luck

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hob skimmer, ro/di, sump