Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 04:12 PM   #1
boyohboy2
Registered Member

Advice on new tank, RedSea Reefer or standard (Canada)

Well, I'm not really "new to the hobby", but it's been over 10 years since I had a tank... or tankssss. Used to keep Apistogramma tnkas, heavy planted tank, and a mixed SW tank.

Anyway thinking of getting back into fish, and *likely* will be SW!

Really like the Red Sea Reefer (Deluxe too perhaps) series. I was thinking the Reefer 250 but it's kinda expensive.
So right now the decision is likely going to between (1) Reefer 170 (~30G-ish DT) or (2) using "standard" tank in 36x18x ~20H (~50G). The thing is I don't really want to spend too much time DIYing overflow, sump and plumbing. I did that in my previous tank 10+ years ago but now with wife and kids, time is very limited.

So if I have to buy more ready-make components, how much can I really save going with the standard tank vs the Reefer 170? I'm in Toronto Canada so selection & price probably aren't as good as in US. And most importantly, are they any good ready-make overflow and sump?

boyohboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 11:17 AM   #2
AnnaCassandra
Registered Member

I'm in Alberta, not Ontario but being in Toronto you likely have more local options than I do here, but have you considered getting a used setup? It's a bit more work since people generally don't bother cleaning they just tear down and shove it in the garage, but they can usually be had for a fraction of the cost of buying new and leave more $$ in the budget for equipment like lighting and a skimmer.

AnnaCassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Xandernfs
Registered Member

The Reefer series are great tanks. I'll be getting one soon myself. I haven't really met a person who didn't like their purchase of a Reefer. It's very well put together and you won't have to mess with the overflows or anything of that nature. It's very close to 'set it and forget it' since the plumbing is good to go. The low iron glass is a nice added feature too.

There are many people getting in & out of the hobby. I bet you could find one for cheap in the locals.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 01:00 AM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Red Sea reefer set up.

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Bikerharold
Registered Member

Kijiji for the GTA is the place to look. From time to time they have some really good looking equipment and at a fair price. If you think you want a 50 gal tank go up to the 90 it will save having to change in a year or so. Look for a display tank that is drilled and use a smaller aquarium for you sump. You can find all you need on Kijiji. I'm from Whitby and I didn't follow my own advise. Could have done my tank for half the money. Good luck.

Bikerharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Jatx
Registered Member

I just set up my Red Sea Reefer 170. It looks great, is very quiet, and seems very well built. Time will tell if it holds up well, but other reviews say it is a very solid tank.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uZYxF

Jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 08:49 AM   #7
boyohboy2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaCassandra View Post
I'm in Alberta, not Ontario but being in Toronto you likely have more local options than I do here, but have you considered getting a used setup? It's a bit more work since people generally don't bother cleaning they just tear down and shove it in the garage, but they can usually be had for a fraction of the cost of buying new and leave more $$ in the budget for equipment like lighting and a skimmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerharold View Post
Kijiji for the GTA is the place to look. From time to time they have some really good looking equipment and at a fair price. If you think you want a 50 gal tank go up to the 90 it will save having to change in a year or so. Look for a display tank that is drilled and use a smaller aquarium for you sump. You can find all you need on Kijiji. I'm from Whitby and I didn't follow my own advise. Could have done my tank for half the money. Good luck.
Used setup is definitely an option. But of course that is hit and miss and I won't really know when a suitable one will appear. Either way, going with used will still be basically a decision of used "regular" setup vs used RS-Reefer setup so I guess the question/decision remains

boyohboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 09:02 AM   #8
AnnaCassandra
Registered Member

I've learned that patience definitely rewards itself when it comes to kijiji, I'm with bikerharold, look for a 90gal that is drilled- the price difference is negligible when buying used and you'll be glad you went bigger. I did a quick search and it looks like there's a few up for sale right now in the GTA.

AnnaCassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerharold View Post
^^^^^^^ completly agree. From kitchener here and definetly buying out a good used system is much better then piecing it together urself. I could have got an identical system to mine or maby better for about 1200 to 1500 with livestock and corals instead of the 2500+ ive spent already. Kijiji is your bestfriend dont forget it

Wagonpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overflow, sump