Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2020, 12:09 AM   #1
reeftemptation
Registered Member

Angry Algae

I've Been having red and brown cayno bacteria. I've used all the cayno stuff to get rid of the cayno. Cheato keeps bringing nitrates to zero. I've been dosing nitrates now I'm back up to 5.0. My phospates are now at 1.8. I've been doing water changes. My CA is 500. Dkh was 6.8 bringing dkh back up. I noticed the outbreak when I added the T5s to my hydra 26s. Shrimp, snails, starfish, anemone, sps, lps, zoas. How do I get this algae out without nuking my cheato and inverts.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 15 gallon sump/Refugium, Ecotech Hydra 26(s) lighting,
reeftemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2020, 09:38 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

1.8 is really high. GFO will do but you would need a lot. High phosphates are lowered better with Lanthanum, BUT, it has to be done with caution & dripped into a filter sock.
When the numbers fall below 0.2 use GFO. Read up before so you understand it.

Unread 05/19/2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

For sure, you want to get those nutrient numbers stable.

I found with cyanobacteria it's best to implement a step by step attack that wears it down to the point that a knock-out punch can be delivered. Something like manual removal every other day for a couple weeks, followed by a chemiclean treatment, followed by a 3-4 day blackout and finished with a large water change. This worked for me.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 05/20/2020 at 05:15 PM.
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2020, 07:31 AM   #4
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Manual removal and a large water change (30-50%) will help at first. You should try to determine where the phosphate is coming from (old rock, sand, water source, overfeeding, etc.). Chemiclean may get rid of the cyano temporarily, but if the water quality doesn't improve it'll just come back.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2020, 11:44 PM   #5
reeftemptation
Registered Member

Thank you all for the helpful comments. Now my phosphates are .23 that's by using chemipure blue. I don't have old rocks I used the caribesea shape rocks, the tank has been up less than a year. I have to admit my refuguim was bringing my nitrates to zero so I was feeding more and dosing nitrates. I've now stopped the nitrate dosing and the nitrates stabilized to 5.0. I'll stop feeding so much. I also added T5s to my system, maybe my light period is too long?

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon, 15 gallon sump/Refugium, Ecotech Hydra 26(s) lighting,
reeftemptation is offline   Reply With Quote