Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2007, 10:09 PM   #51
seapug
Registered Member

so, siv, you think this is an issue of too high alk, eh? Interesting. I'm going to run a full battery of tests tomorrow and see if that's the case with my params. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2007, 11:49 PM   #52
Hypertek99
Moved On

Well guys a few of us have been doing an experiment and i think we may have a solution to the Zoa's melting problem. A few of us started dosing vitamin c tablets in our tanks with melting zoas and it seems to boost the immune system of the zoas. The polyps started to get big again and opening longer. Our problem was that the zoa would just all of a sudden get skinny and sometimes the top of the polyp would just squeeze up and then they start to melt with the skin peeling away then brown ooze comes out and then it's dead in like a few days. Well the vitamin c seems to have stopped it. You can e-mail me at Snoopy7671@aol.com if you have questions as my pm here don't work.

Hypertek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2007, 11:51 PM   #53
Hypertek99
Moved On

It's not verified yet as there's like 3 of us doing this if anyone else has melting zoas want to try maybe we are on to something.

Hypertek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2007, 10:56 AM   #54
seapug
Registered Member

I actually have been dosing Kent Marine C and putting Selco in the fix food for the past few days to help an injured fish. I haven't noticed any effect on the withering zoas yet, but I'll let you know if it seems to have any effect on them.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2008, 07:50 PM   #55
mathias999us
Registered Member

Any updates on the vitamin C approach?

Current Tank Info: RSM250 + 28HQI plumbed to basement fish room with 2 100g stock tanks and 55g fuge
mathias999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2008, 10:47 PM   #56
Pufferpunk
Moved On

There is a huge thread on "Treating With Vitamin C", at this forum & you should try to read as much of it as possible. See the before & after pics I posted on the 1st page. This thread is all about the exact problems I had before dosing Vit C. All my zoas are growing on large rocks & there is no way to dip them. The VC is working, not just with my sick zoas but the growth rate & polyp size is amazing on my healthy ones! Nevermind, my LPS/SPS have doubled/tripled in size! The amount of C in Selcon & Kent is minimal to the amounts I am dosing. I'm up to 45mg/gal, 2x/day.

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2008, 10:07 AM   #57
Skeptic_07
Registered Member

I read that this sort of condition can be brought on by certain water parameters. high temperature, low salinity and i forgot the third parameter... its in aquarium corals by borneman in the disease section its called zoanthid condition 2 or something like that. He describes almost exactly what this guy is saying, zoos close and refuse to open and then begin to melt away. This happened to me once and i still have no idea why. Around august of this year I bought a frag of these really really cool pinks. They were open the day i put them in the tank. Each day after that i noticed less and less polyps were open until they were all closed about a week later. Then some gunky looking stuff started to cover the polyps and they slowly began to melt away. A month later the colony was reduced to just a few polyps. The thing is, i had zoos and palys living all around them FINE! The 'film' never spread to any other colonies and all of my other polyps seemed happy and thriving. Could it have been my water params? i guess it couldve been but then you'd have to say that some varieties are weaker than others when it comes to water quality and stress and some are more prone to this type of illness.

Skeptic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2008, 04:48 PM   #58
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Great thread. Good info on zoas that seem to "melt" away.

Unread 07/20/2008, 05:16 PM   #59
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I made a typo, it's not 45mg I'm adding, it's 4500.

Unread 07/20/2008, 08:10 PM   #60
sunny1977
Registered Member

i no expert but i like to share my experience i had these fungus attack every time when i change activated charcoal or change my t5 tubes this was i did

i try iodine dip never helped

but i placed the whole colony in t5 lights in pure actinic with more flow tada they are opening after a week placed them in shaded area and slowly moved them up slowly it works i did it couple of times

sunny1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 07:50 PM   #61
DaveG99
Registered Member

bump

DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2009, 07:54 PM   #62
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Are you adding vitamin C yet? They should be getting better if you are.

Unread 07/21/2009, 01:10 AM   #63
jeremystotts
Registered Member

I read the first page and getting tired so I skipped to the end, Ive had the same problem with Zoa's melting away, I had a frag station with 12 plugs on it and almost all were or had melted away, they were up high in a 29g biocube with the stock 10k and actinic PC's, I moved the melting zoas to the bottom of the tank and most of them started to open and doing better each day. Some were already gone and of course not all made it but I honestly think they were getting to much light, like the post I read by MUCHO REEF
about putting his colony under a overhang and coming back.
I don't know if it has been mentioned, probably has but just wanted to share my experience to help my fellow reefers.
jeremy

jeremystotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 09:48 PM   #64
Mr. Right
Registered Member

I've had this "fungus" attack a colony and I put the colony under HIGH flow and it really seamed to help alot! Almost all the the colony has bounce back.

Current Tank Info: Old tanks: 37gal mixed, 57 gal mixed, 120 sps. Current tank 18”x18”x18” rimless in the works.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 11:14 AM   #65
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Re: was reading and

Quote:
Originally posted by cmb88
good discussion.. awhile back a guy asked about heartworm pills for dogs...I am a vet tech the name of the pill is heargaurd...but i cant see how dissolving this pill will help!! be careful

as for the rest i have had a similar problem..gooing gooing gone everything else healthy in tank good advice thanx.. i was thinking of just sacraficing that zoo for tanks sake thanks
Are you guys sure you aren't talking about INTERCEPTOR?
It's being used as a treatment for AEFW (Acro Eating Flat Worms) with great success but I doubt that it would do anything for the zoa fungus.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2009, 04:57 PM   #66
650-IS350
Registered Member

Interceptor is only used for REDBUGS and doesn't kill AEFWs.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2009, 10:44 PM   #67
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

no photos of affected colonies??

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Korrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2009, 10:46 PM   #68
Pufferpunk
Moved On

This thread is from 4 months ago.

Unread 11/26/2009, 10:54 PM   #69
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

I know. But it's been around for 4 years actually w/much discussion and No one has posted any pictures....

so is this was melting is? The polyps close and then it disappears?

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Unread 11/26/2009, 10:55 PM   #70
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yep, are you having this problem too?

Unread 11/26/2009, 10:57 PM   #71
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

AND it's in the zoanthid information draft and will keep getting "hits"

This colony is half wiped out. I lost a purple/green cat eye and watermelon to.

Unread 11/26/2009, 10:57 PM   #72
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

My water is testing just fine.

Unread 11/26/2009, 10:59 PM   #73
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Did you read my information about vitamin C dosing?

Unread 11/27/2009, 12:43 PM   #74
Scott-CapeCoral
Registered Member

My pink zoas are the only ones that have done this. I put them in less light and it stopped spreading through the colony.

When life hands you skittles... Throw them at random people and scream "TASTE THE FREAKEN RAINBOW!"

Proud brother of a U.S. Soldier.

Current Tank Info: 2 side by side 57g Oceanic Illuminata's. Reef Octopus 3000 XP Cone. Each tank has a 250w Radium with t5 retro's. Reeflo Dart powering both tanks and accessories
Scott-CapeCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2009, 05:48 PM   #75
jordan3548
Moved On

I have never had a problem with this until I added a UV Sterelizer so i think its true they like dirty water

jordan3548 is offline   Reply With Quote