Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2019, 01:58 AM   #1101
homer1475
Registered Member

Anyone alive around here anymore?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 11:27 AM   #1102
E.intheC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Sorry guys haven't been on here much lately, been hanging on R 2 R. Just so much more going on over there.

Small update.....

tank is chugging along, some new additions such as a gold squamosa clam, a harlequin shrimp(my wife just couldn't say no to such a cute little creature). Yes I'm fully aware it only eats starfish, but with the amount of asternia's in my tank, it should be well fed for a while.

On a side note, I did see one of the peppermint shrimp in my tank last night, and I believe it's the cause of my scoly dieing. Something ripped it's mouth out! Still has flesh , but it's mouth is a white crater.

Now if I could just get rid of this algae plague I would be a happy reefer. I know some algae is a good thing, but when I see pics of peoples tanks and their rocks aren't furry like mine, it makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. Even the frag plugs I got just 3 weeks ago have algae all over them. The corals are doing fine on them, just the algae is starting to get taller then the frag. lol
Nice looking tank overall!

Regarding your Scoly: it’s tough to say definitively, but I’ve seen peppermint shrimp pick at and eat LPS corals before. I’ve not had peppermints since then.

Unread 06/07/2019, 05:59 AM   #1103
homer1475
Registered Member

Reefapalooza tickets for both days bought. So excited to go to this, unfortuantly my friend cannot go. So it's my wife and I, and with her recently being diagnosed with fibro myalga(sp?), I don't know how much she will be able to do.

Unread 06/07/2019, 11:40 AM   #1104
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Awesome, looking forward to meeting you. You still coming for the rocks? I'm around both days, and can probably bring it with me to RAP, or you're welcome to come to my place on your way home and grab them (though it's probably 45 minutes out of your way), and check out my tank (and new Trident ).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2019, 02:38 PM   #1105
liverock
RC Sponsor

still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Anyone alive around here anymore?
Yup....but am underwater.....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2019, 06:03 PM   #1106
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Awesome, looking forward to meeting you. You still coming for the rocks? I'm around both days, and can probably bring it with me to RAP, or you're welcome to come to my place on your way home and grab them (though it's probably 45 minutes out of your way), and check out my tank (and new Trident ).
Whoa you grabbed the trident?

Selling my ghl to get into cool kids club myself. The ghl still hasn't come about with trend graphs for those of us without the GHL controller....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2019, 09:00 PM   #1107
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Whoa you grabbed the trident?

Selling my ghl to get into cool kids club myself. The ghl still hasn't come about with trend graphs for those of us without the GHL controller....
I did. The GHL looked tempting, but I figured I'd wait two months or so since seeing you and another person locally having it, knowing that Trident was (eventually) around the corner. I've also been saving since before they announced the price. Figured whatever the price was, it will save me in coral and growth over time exponentially. The operating costs of reagents are higher than I was hoping for, but still worth it once the first batch of coral go in.

I'm looking forward to their 6+ month supply that will be discounted, which I hope they're still planning on doing, as they discussed in one of their videos earlier in the year.

Unread 06/10/2019, 09:23 AM   #1108
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
I did. The GHL looked tempting, but I figured I'd wait two months or so since seeing you and another person locally having it, knowing that Trident was (eventually) around the corner. I've also been saving since before they announced the price. Figured whatever the price was, it will save me in coral and growth over time exponentially. The operating costs of reagents are higher than I was hoping for, but still worth it once the first batch of coral go in.

I'm looking forward to their 6+ month supply that will be discounted, which I hope they're still planning on doing, as they discussed in one of their videos earlier in the year.
Without the GHL Profilux the KH director is substandard to me. Still toying around with the alkatronic as I would not need to buy a new apex headunit but whatever. I need to plan it out a bit and see what all I can do. I can also sell my current apex headunit and a powersupply for 200 or so to recoup some of my costs.

The regent costs are a bit high but then again I would like to know my calcium and mag a bit more as well. Been having some swings I am none too happy about at the moment with all my traveling so will see if I can better dial in over the summer. I have some angry SPS but others are looking best that they ever have so who knows. Likely just have to deal with it to a degree I guess. The few SPS I have lost or are losing flesh are those I almost wish WOULD die so I can gain some space such as my garf bonsai. I wish I found something to nuke my purple stylo though. Grows like weeds.

As for reefapalooza I can do either day but only 1. I am open to either one depending on what everyone wants to do. Just let me know.

Reef/Homer - Put in your requests for corals and I will bring up to the show with me. I think you each should have some of my milli which is amazing in color and very hardy (yes even for you Homer...haha). Higher the light the more the pink pops so you can play aroundon color with it to a degree. Perhaps a bit of SSC I have healing up as well? Can also do some more basic like garf bonsai (reef would be returning to you ha), tri color valdai, stylo, and so on. My UC SSC is still growing after selling a good amount so wont be cutting that at the moment.

Just let me know.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 04:28 PM   #1109
homer1475
Registered Member

Funny you mention SSC, as that is my wife's favorite coral. Would surly love a frag of that, and the milli if you don't mind.

It's funny you mention easy to grow, as my rather small SPS collection(about 6 different acro frags now) are growing, and coloring up quite nicely. Yet my LPS collection is looking rather poor lately. Have an issue with a candy cane that is receding, as well as a lobo. No idea why either, but it is what it is. I kind of think that as I get more into SPS, my water conditions are favoring them, and my LPS are suffering a bit. Which I'm completely OK with.

As far as RAP, I can do either day as I have tickets for both days(I plan on shopping saturday, and picking up on sunday for the drive home, but I am bringing a small 5g tank with water and heater if need be). So up to reef which day.

Unread 06/27/2019, 09:08 PM   #1110
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Great seeing/meeting you guys at RAP. I hope everyone had a great time. I had major regrets for not picking up more corals and clams (and maybe even one of those super-fancy BTAs). There was a ton of nice stuff there, and around 2PM people were starting to want to make deals for corals. I only picked up a few small pieces, so I'm looking at some online sellers for more stuff to scratch the itch.

I don't think I'll find as good a deal on clams as I saw at the show though. $60 is almost unheard of these days....

Hope you both got home safe and enjoyed yourselves as well!

Unread 02/16/2020, 10:50 PM   #1111
Dag302
Registered Member

Hey, tried to send a PM but being new it won’t let me. Have a few questions that maybe you can help with.

I came across this thread and really like what you did. I am setting up my first SC aquarium and wanted to plumb it instead of using the hoses it came with.

1. Did you use the included bulk heads? If so did you glue the 1” pipe in or connect threaded somehow.

2. Is all the plumbing inside the cabinet 1”? If so how did you connect the included pump cause it comes with a much smaller barbed fitting. I am considering changing the pump cause all the postings I read with how loud they are.

3. Did you put anything in for anti siphon on the return line? You feel it’s needed?

4. The pnp package just came with a short tube and a cap for the emergency drain in the overflow. Did you just run a longer tube just above the water line?

Sorry for all the questions. I like how simply laid out what you did. Hope the questions are ok.

Dag302 is offline   Reply With Quote