Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2014, 01:18 PM   #1001
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks Steve.
Wow, you are fast! By the way, I do advocate for CP for parasites other than crypto.

Unread 04/02/2014, 01:20 PM   #1002
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Wow, you are fast! By the way, I do advocate for CP for parasites other than crypto.
You'll come around eventually.

I know you advocate CP for Velvet. But what about Brook & Uronema?

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 01:29 PM   #1003
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
You'll come around eventually.

I know you advocate CP for Velvet. But what about Brook & Uronema?
There is no literature basis for that while for velvet, there is. Based on my understanding of the life cycle for B&U, it should work very well, if of course, you have a good source for getting the pure drug. My problem with using it for cryptocaryon is with no long term studies on its effects on fish, and with a fool proof non-chemical solution to eliminate it from fish, it is difficult to prefer it to tank transfer. The other issue with cryptocaryon irritans is that the back end of the life cycle is no where near as deterministic as it is with V,B,&U. As such the four week treatment should work most of the time, but not all the time. There are so many variables involved as to when the vulnerable stage of the life cycle is released. Copper treatment is similarly disadvantaged, perhaps even more so, since we know copper is bad for fish longer term.

Unread 04/02/2014, 02:43 PM   #1004
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
There is no literature basis for that while for velvet, there is. Based on my understanding of the life cycle for B&U, it should work very well, if of course, you have a good source for getting the pure drug. My problem with using it for cryptocaryon is with no long term studies on its effects on fish, and with a fool proof non-chemical solution to eliminate it from fish, it is difficult to prefer it to tank transfer. The other issue with cryptocaryon irritans is that the back end of the life cycle is no where near as deterministic as it is with V,B,&U. As such the four week treatment should work most of the time, but not all the time. There are so many variables involved as to when the vulnerable stage of the life cycle is released. Copper treatment is similarly disadvantaged, perhaps even more so, since we know copper is bad for fish longer term.
Awesome input!

Unread 04/02/2014, 03:13 PM   #1005
snorvich
Team RC member

But, I personally always encourage leading edge exploration of new treatments (or old treatments done differently) in our hobby. What we all need to do is carefully note the environment we are using it in in order to control determining the general applicability to additional situations. In peer reviewed literature, this is done, or if not done, peer reviews don't go very well. We all need to try to adopt a similar level of rigor.

Unread 04/06/2014, 09:42 AM   #1006
Deinonych
Registered Member

Hey all - looks like NFP now carries CP.

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/products.html

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2014, 10:24 AM   #1007
HumbleFish
Moved On

Awesome! I'm gonna call these people later to verify it's 99% pure CP.

Unread 04/06/2014, 10:29 AM   #1008
hvacman250
Registered Member

FWIW, I have been treating my 55 QT tank with 80mg/gallon of 99.9% pure CP for the past 4 weeks. Two clowns, one spot foxface, regal tang, 2 pajama cardinals, and a yellow coris wrasse.
Total lights out except feeding, 10 gallon water change once per week (adding 80 mg/gal back to water change). Ammonia badge has always registered zero, but I do have some rock and seeded filter media in the tank. Today ends my 4 weeks and all fish look great.

Current Tank Info: 220 in-wall reef, clownfish breeding/growout system, 20L coral QT and 29 fish QT
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2014, 09:19 AM   #1009
hecticreefer
Registered Member.

Quote:
Hey Steve, I'm trying to read more from the sticky at the top of the forum:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2159738

Are there references somewhere that I'm missing? Like for example you wrote "(Yambot et al, 1993)" but then there is no link or reference at the end of the post. Is this an original article from somewhere else?

hecticreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 10:22 AM   #1010
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecticreefer View Post
Hey Steve, I'm trying to read more from the sticky at the top of the forum:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2159738

Are there references somewhere that I'm missing? Like for example you wrote "(Yambot et al, 1993)" but then there is no link or reference at the end of the post. Is this an original article from somewhere else?
Where detailed information is presented, the name of the author is provided and the date it was published. Since the data was a summarization, I did not provide the total paper since space would have been prohibitive and the sum and substance of the paper would not have been interesting. However, if you wish, use Google Scholar and you can get the paper in its entirety. Or, alternatively, you can purchase the book Captive Marine Fish by Stephen Spotte.

Unread 04/08/2014, 03:08 PM   #1011
skene
Registered Member

Recently added 40mg / g dosage of CP for QT - 2 days later, I'm noticing that there's an ICH outbreak on certain fish in QT. I would like to raise it to 60mg / g in total;

Do I need to remove all CP first and redose it at 60mg / g OR can I just add another 20 mg/g worth to compensate for the difference?

skene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 03:55 PM   #1012
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skene View Post
Recently added 40mg / g dosage of CP for QT - 2 days later, I'm noticing that there's an ICH outbreak on certain fish in QT. I would like to raise it to 60mg / g in total;

Do I need to remove all CP first and redose it at 60mg / g OR can I just add another 20 mg/g worth to compensate for the difference?

just add another 20mg/g to achieve a total of 60mg/g

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2014, 05:51 AM   #1013
coral49
Registered Member

Has anyone been successfully with treating/QT wrasses? I am a firm believer in CP. Good success with QT. Over the last year QT flame back, bicolor and annularis angle. yellow and mimic tang railway goby.

No luck with wrasses, lost a 6 line and a cleaner.

I'd like to get some but won't use copper again.

coral49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2014, 09:18 AM   #1014
jnc914
Registered Member

I have had success using CP with fairy and flasher wrasse, but not with leopards. Have you considered Cupramine instead of straight copper? Cupramine seems to be gentle on more delicate fish. I have had success with it in the past. The only issue is that it can be difficult to get a good copper level reading.

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2014, 10:49 AM   #1015
monkiboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coral49 View Post
Has anyone been successfully with treating/QT wrasses? I am a firm believer in CP. Good success with QT. Over the last year QT flame back, bicolor and annularis angle. yellow and mimic tang railway goby.

No luck with wrasses, lost a 6 line and a cleaner.

I'd like to get some but won't use copper again.
yes, i've had luck with cupramine and CP. you saying you had those losses with cupramine or what type of copper treatment or CP?

if cupramine, are you slowing bringing solution up to therapeutic levels? what levels are maintaining and over what period of time are you raising levels? you are not mixing with other treatments or water conditioners, correct? i haven't had any losses using cupramine even with more sensitive species when bringing cupramine up to therapeutic levels over the course of a 7-10 days.

monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2014, 01:19 PM   #1016
coral49
Registered Member

I've kept it very simple for QT practices, CP 4 weeks (40mg/g - single dose), water change then treat Prazi 2 weeks, (2 cycles). Off to DT. I've either been very lucky or it works. No out breaks. Fish come out eating well and ready to go.

Ich has haunted me on previous tanks, lost fish or had outbreaks using both copper/cupramine. Just not interested in using that again.

Great news on flasher and fairy.

coral49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 11:33 AM   #1017
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Awesome! I'm gonna call these people later to verify it's 99% pure CP.
So, I just received a shipment from NFP (not CP - some other meds including Paracide-X). The return address read "Fishman Chemical," so I suspect they are supplying the same grade of CP. Caveat emptor.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Unread 04/17/2014, 12:30 PM   #1018
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
So, I just received a shipment from NFP (not CP - some other meds including Paracide-X). The return address read "Fishman Chemical," so I suspect they are supplying the same grade of CP. Caveat emptor.
That sucks. I emailed NFP about their CP, but never received a response. I had planned on ordering some CP from them and Nitrofuracin Green Powder. But if they can't even bother to reply to an email, F 'em.

Unread 04/17/2014, 04:18 PM   #1019
Deinonych
Registered Member

Interesting. I sent them an email asking about specific dosing weights for some of the meds I ordered, and received a response within minutes. Maybe they know their CP isn't pure.

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 04/17/2014, 05:46 PM   #1020
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Interesting. I sent them an email asking about specific dosing weights for some of the meds I ordered, and received a response within minutes. Maybe they know their CP isn't pure.
So, at this point, where is the most reliable source of pure CP?

Unread 04/17/2014, 06:20 PM   #1021
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
So, at this point, where is the most reliable source of pure CP?
Either a pharmacist via prescription, or using Alprazo's source Louis (also a veterinary pharmacist) mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 04/17/2014, 06:33 PM   #1022
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
I did ask in the email if what they were selling was, "99% pure pharmaceutical grade CP"?

They were probably thinking, "Oh geez, this guy is being all picky about his CP."

Unread 04/21/2014, 10:12 AM   #1023
Newflavor
Registered Member

I have a powder blue tang that is in my 29 gallon qt tank. I dosed the tank with ich x and I was told this thing never works. I bought CP from a Vet and I am ready to use it. Should I do a big water change or put carbon before adding the CP? I go ta CP in 250 mg tablet also. Do we just dose the CP once in the tank and just add cp when water changing?

Newflavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 10:36 AM   #1024
Tetra84
Registered Member

FYI: you can get some 99% pure CP in small amounts from this guy, cert of analysis available..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231133909031

Current Tank Info: 57 Gal Rimless Reef
Tetra84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 02:54 PM   #1025
monkiboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra84 View Post
FYI: you can get some 99% pure CP in small amounts from this guy, cert of analysis available..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231133909031
interesting that he's offering a certification now. he was the same individual acquiring his CP from questionable sources named above and sold to folks who had negative experiences posted on here with its effectiveness.

now that he's offering a certificate i wonder if his source changed and/or would be a new reliable option.

monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote