Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/02/2005, 03:03 AM   #76
kimoyo
Registered Member

AP600 woes

Here's a shot of my Deltec AP600.

Its having some problems, here's the thread I started about it.

kimoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2005, 03:05 AM   #77
kimoyo
Registered Member

Tank Shots

Finally, some tank shots with salt and RODI water.

So far my parameters are:

ammonia - 0 ppm
nitrite - 0 ppm
nitrate - 0 ppm
phosphate - 0 ppm
pH - 8.2
calcium - 340ppm
alkalinty - 10dKH (aquarium pharmaceuticals test) or 5 meq/L (seachem test)

Not sure whats up with the alkalinty tests.

Unread 10/02/2005, 03:10 AM   #78
kimoyo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sellout007
Whats the coraline look like out of the package? O) What color?
Looks like pink and dark red coralline almost fully covering a 3" plate. The plate looks like its made up of a plastic.

Unread 10/02/2005, 10:41 AM   #79
melev
Moved On

The candycane should look nicer today. It is an LPS coral, and the skeletal base is white. The tips are where you should see pretty soft fluffy polyps if they are happy. Here's a picture of my neon candy canes from last night. This is an extreme closeup, but the bottom left is one single (albight huge) polyp in this macro shot.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2005, 10:51 AM   #80
kimoyo
Registered Member

Thanks Marc,

I don't know much about corals yet. I decided to learn about fish first because I will be adding some next week. And I will wait a while until I add more corals. I wasn't going to add any for a bit but IPSF sent me this freebie (which I didn't even know they were going to do).

The fish I want to add are
  • queen angelfish
  • achilles tang
  • naso tang male
  • bluethroat trigger
Not sure in what order yet.

Unread 10/02/2005, 11:07 AM   #81
melev
Moved On

The only one I've kept is the Naso, and it has been very docile.

Have you perused my ID page yet? It talks about the needs of various livestock. http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

Unread 10/02/2005, 11:52 AM   #82
kimoyo
Registered Member

Actually, I did see that before but forgot about it, it is helpful. Corals I'm intersted in right now are ricordias, staghorns, brains, gorgonias and acroporas. One day I would like to keep a carnation tree coral.

Unread 10/02/2005, 01:14 PM   #83
kimoyo
Registered Member

Hey Marc,
What would you suggest to get to feed the fish. I'm going to order a naso tang and bluethroat trigger to get next week and want to order some food to feed them for a little bit. They will be small but I don't have time next week to prepare stuff for them. So is there a pellet food or frozen food you would recommend to start out with, that will hopefully be low in phosphates? Thanks.

Unread 10/02/2005, 01:17 PM   #84
melev
Moved On

Most frozen foods are mostly made up of water, I've been told repeatedly. I make my own. That being said, there are a few brands that you might choose to purchase. I think one is called Life Line. PE Mysis is very good, as is Cyclop-Eeze.

http://www.melevsreef.com/feedings.html

Unread 10/07/2005, 11:50 AM   #85
kimoyo
Registered Member

So the ap600 was having some overflowing issues which I kinda mentioned before (see link at the top of the page). We narrowed it down to either the water wasn't mature (too new) enough or the new filter socks had something in them that was released when they were put in the sump. Either way hopefully it will be skimming well next week.

In the process of finding out what was wrong several people told me it was the plumbing (including doug @ deltec) so I redid all the plumbing and it still was overflowing . I'm glad I can laugh about it now because I couldn't last Sunday. I don't have any pictures of the plumbing now because it isn't very neat. But it actually turned out better than before I think. Its harder for me to get to the back of the stand but the skimmer was moved closer to the front and the return doesn't go over the chiller.

I also put some hinges on the front of the canopy so I can rotate it open without lifting the lights up.

Unread 10/07/2005, 11:57 AM   #86
kimoyo
Registered Member

Fish List

So the livestock I ordered was
  • Queen Angel
  • Yellow Eye Kole Tang
  • Blue Jaw Trigger
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • 2 Astraea Snails
  • 4 Cerith Snails
I should have gotten more snails but its a start. I'm already having some reddish/brown algae issues.

Bomber said he thought it was cyano coming from phosphates leaching from the pvc and starboard. Or it could be diatoms, hopefully it will go away soon. I decided to get rid of the rock rack but I'll talk more about that later.

Last edited by kimoyo; 10/07/2005 at 12:11 PM.
Unread 10/07/2005, 12:20 PM   #87
kimoyo
Registered Member

Acclimating them took a while. I was so worried I was going to hurt them but here they are.

Queen Angel

Yellow Eyed Kole Tang

Blue Jaw Trigger

Cleaner Shrimp Cleaning

They seem to be doing well but the kole tang looks like he got burned on his left side by a heater. There's discoloration there but I'm hoping it will clear up.

Unread 10/07/2005, 12:31 PM   #88
kimoyo
Registered Member

So I decided to take out the rock rack. There were several reasons but it just didn't go well with the tank, it was too big and I didn't want to make another one. It felt like it was going to be more work that it was worth. If I was using pumps for a close loop then I would have kept it but because I'm using streams it just wasn't worth it for me.

I haven't arranged the rocks how I want them yet. So this pic isn't the final result but you can see how the tank looks like it has less rock.

Unread 11/11/2005, 02:55 AM   #89
kewwlkat123
Premium Member

Nice progress!

Where did you purchase the livestock? They look colorful and healthy.

kewwlkat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2005, 11:07 PM   #90
kysmith
Registered Member

WOW that tank does look great! I was thinking at first "who the hell buys thicker acrylic bc it looks nicer" but now I understand.

Good luck with your progress,
Kyle

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon
kysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2005, 11:16 PM   #91
kysmith
Registered Member

oh yeah I forgot to ask:

I thought you were doing black starboard. What happened with that plan? I want to do black starboard eventually and would like to see how it looks. I was hoping to see how it looks on your system but I obviously can't now. Mainly I'm curious why you decided against this.

Kyle

Unread 12/17/2005, 11:25 PM   #92
kimoyo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kewwlkat123
Nice progress!

Where did you purchase the livestock? They look colorful and healthy.
Sorry I didn't see this before. I actually had a few problems with my fish. The I took the kole tang and bluejaw trigger to a LFS (I did by them online before I found some good LFS) because they didn't have the personalities I like in my fish. The queen angel died very shortly after she came probably from some sort of parasite or infection. I got some other fish (from another online vendor) and got ich in the tank. So I had to take down the tank and treat the fish. I'm just getting it set back up and have learn the hard lesson of why a quarantine tank is needed. I will update with some pics soon.

Unread 12/17/2005, 11:29 PM   #93
kimoyo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kysmith
oh yeah I forgot to ask:

I thought you were doing black starboard. What happened with that plan? I want to do black starboard eventually and would like to see how it looks. I was hoping to see how it looks on your system but I obviously can't now. Mainly I'm curious why you decided against this.

Kyle
Thanks!

The black starboard showed dirt easily or I just feel white starboard blends the dirt in better. I like the way the white reflects light, it just makes the tank seem brighter and I also like how it contrasts the back wall.

I change a lot in the system. I will give a nice update soon.

Unread 12/18/2005, 07:50 AM   #94
MyMonkey
Persona Non Grata

Very nice tank. Love the Hinged canopy. Great idea. Sorry about the fish problems though. I too learned the need for a QT in that fashion. Oddly enough many people with great tanks never use a QT. Odd...

Current Tank Info: 20 Long.10 months to my 240 In wall with Fish Room.
MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2005, 08:03 AM   #95
NoSchwag
Premium Member

The tank is going to look great full of corals

Current Tank Info: Beckett skimmed, penductor flowed, luminarc lighted, UV sterilized, litermeter dosed, Aquacontroller controlled, SPS dominated, 120 BB tank.
NoSchwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2005, 11:10 PM   #96
kysmith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kimoyo
Thanks!

The black starboard showed dirt easily or I just feel white starboard blends the dirt in better. I like the way the white reflects light, it just makes the tank seem brighter and I also like how it contrasts the back wall.

I change a lot in the system. I will give a nice update soon.
Weird I would have thought it was the other way around. Do you have any pictures of your tank when you had the black starboard Or was that in someone else's tank that you noticed you didn't like the black look?

Unread 12/18/2005, 11:32 PM   #97
kimoyo
Registered Member

MyMonkey & NoSchwag - Thanks.
Quote:
Originally posted by kysmith
Weird I would have thought it was the other way around. Do you have any pictures of your tank when you had the black starboard Or was that in someone else's tank that you noticed you didn't like the black look?
It was in my tank but I don't think i have any pictures. The dust/dirt (sand) and snail poop from my rocks made it look grey (lighter). Its the same thing when dust or dirt gets on the black back panel except its harder to clean the starboard and it gets more of it being on the bottom. Eventhough you can still notice it on the white it just looks better, kinda like what happens with cars.

Unread 12/19/2005, 07:58 AM   #98
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

what you think of the yellow eye kole tang? i love mine..great personality. just a fun fish

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2005, 10:39 PM   #99
BigEasy
Premium Member

Depending on what corals you intend to keep, you may want to refine your fish selection. You didn't mentioned what the new ones were in QT, but triggers and most angels (except the Genicanthus sp.) are a huge risk to many reef invertebrates (e.g. corals). Just a thought.

Very nice construction on the tank btw. Best of luck.

Current Tank Info: Not big enough
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2005, 11:02 PM   #100
mvandepeer
Registered Member

Re: Tank Construction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kimoyo
[B]So, I decided on 1" acrylic! I know, talk about overbuilt, but I really think the thicker acrylic makes the tank look much nicer. I looked at several tank builders and got quotes but I eventually decided on going with Chris Boelke from Midwest Custom Aquarium. Chris has been making tanks for about 8 years. I don’t believe he is that well known on this board but he does quality work.

I know Chris from when he would come into my old work to form tanks. I might of even seen your tank in the beginning. I also live about 10 miles away from his shop in buffalo MN.
I have seen his work and vouch for his quality. I will also go through him if/when I upgrade in the future.

Nice job KIMOYO!!

"mommy, where's fluffy?" metallica

Current Tank Info: 75G/15Gcombo w/25Gsumpfuge.70#LR 2scutus-two true percs-dottyback-yllw watchman-zoas-serpstar-urchin n stuff
mvandepeer is offline   Reply With Quote