Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2018, 10:24 AM   #1
930Reef
Registered Member

Is this damage on LTA's foot?

Each evening, when my anemone tips over on its side (won't attach in 3+ inches of sand, or anywhere else), I sometimes see this little bubble structure on its foot.

It partially attached to a rock the first week I had him, in a cave where I couldn't see him. I moved the rock without knowing he was attached there, and he hung on with a corner of his foot and then fell off in the water (he was underwater the whole time). I'm that he hasn't attached since due to this bubble on his foot, though I might just be paranoid.

The bubble is not always there. It disappears completely at times.

1. Is this an injury, and how bad?
2. If yes, will it heal? Tentacles and foot seem sticky. The nem opens and closes daily, puffs up, and eats normally. Just won't attach. Clown it's hosting is in fuge right now to give the nem some alone time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4340.JPG (55.5 KB, 47 views)
930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Lance M.
Registered Member

The "bubble" appears to be what the foot looks like when it is extending its foot, trying to move.

You could try to dig out a hole in the sand next to a rock and put it in there to attach or try putting it in a pvc pipe in the sand.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 06:26 PM   #3
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M. View Post
The "bubble" appears to be what the foot looks like when it is extending its foot, trying to move.

You could try to dig out a hole in the sand next to a rock and put it in there to attach or try putting it in a pvc pipe in the sand.
I've tried both multiple times, but nothing worked. My params are perfect and my flow is low to let him settle in. He just works his way up, no matter how deep I bury him. I'm out of ideas!!!!

That's really good to know though that he's trying to move.

Unread 04/04/2018, 06:49 PM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I had the same issue with my two LTAs that I had for over three weeks now, I tried the 4inch pvc but it worked a few days and it digs itself out. I made a somewhat a divider wall from a piece of live rock and put both on one side and now both are attached to half bottom of rock/ sand for 4 days now. I hope they get settle in and stay there.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 07:29 PM   #5
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
I had the same issue with my two LTAs that I had for over three weeks now, I tried the 4inch pvc but it worked a few days and it digs itself out. I made a somewhat a divider wall from a piece of live rock and put both on one side and now both are attached to half bottom of rock/ sand for 4 days now. I hope they get settle in and stay there.
Can you post a picture of your current LTA setup with the rock divider you describe? Sounds interesting, and I'd love to try it.

Unread 04/04/2018, 07:44 PM   #6
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I guess its like a cove. Seems to make them happy for for now.

Unread 04/05/2018, 10:02 AM   #7
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess its like a cove. Seems to make them happy for for now.
Awesome setup. Thanks. Are those BTAs on the rockwork near them? No chemical warfare or issues coexisting?

Unread 04/05/2018, 01:43 PM   #8
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Yes, they are btas, no issues that i can tell.

Unread 04/06/2018, 10:07 PM   #9
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I think this is actually working, both my LTAs hasn't even try to move and both are almost fully open when lightsvare on.

Unread 04/23/2018, 04:40 PM   #10
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Did your LTA ever settle in, i believe mine is happen now, since i made the cove it stays there n doesnt move around anymore for about a month now.

Unread 04/24/2018, 07:33 AM   #11
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Did your LTA ever settle in, i believe mine is happen now, since i made the cove it stays there n doesnt move around anymore for about a month now.
No, I lost it about a week ago. It indeed did have a small tear in its foot unrelated to that pic I posted. It was healthy and eating up until the last 12 hours of its life, when it deflated and turned inside out. Small tear I think was from when I unknowingly disturbed it when moving a rock. My fault most likely, though when I try again, I'll copy your cove idea. Really cool.

Overall learning experience. The tear didn't show itself until right at the end. This also explains, I think, why it didn't attach after the initial day when I moved the rock. Thanks for checking in!