Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 08:33 AM   #1
Marouette21
Registered Member

Big problem with GHA

My tank is a 13,5 gallon, running for 1 year now. I have a big problem of GHA and I don’t know how to take over it. I buy a emerald crab 2 weeks ago and I see it eat alguae but that not seem to be enough. My tank look horrible and I worry for my corals because alguae begin to grow between them.

In my tank I have a blenny, 2 nasasrius, 2 big tochus, 2 ninja snails, 1 BTA, 1 porcelain crab, 1 cleaner shrimp.

My light is AI Prime HD. The filtration is Rowa Phos, Chemipure Blue with floss.

I give Reef Roid 1 time a week, the day before water change, Reef Energy (Red Sea) 1 ml each 2 or 3 days, 2 ml of phytoplankton at the same time and shrimps to my fish and my BTA.

I do a 2-3 gallons water change each week and I remove alguae like I can but that come back really quick. I realise the problem begin when I start to use Reed Roid and Reed Energy to feed my corals. This is the problem?

What I can do else?

Marouette21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 11:05 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What are your nitrate and phosphate readings?

Yes you are overfeeding..
With such a small tank there is very little room for error.
You should stop feeding the Reef Roids, the Reef Energy and the phytoplankton and just feed the fish every other day.

The corals/nem will do just fine on light alone.

Unread 12/03/2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

If you have GHA, you have either too much phosphate and/ or too much light.
Rowa phos is a good product for mopping up phosphate but would exhaust in days assuming an abnormally high phosphate level.

I would try an LC product like agent green. Dose once a day until you reach 0.15 ish, then apply the Rowa for 2 days.......looking for 0.04 a- 0.12.

Take out Rowa until you get back up to 0.15, then reapply. Keep this up until you reach the target range.

The lights good, remember for GHA, red and yellow light they love so if making changes to the mix, use the red sparingly.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 11:24 AM   #4
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Do all the things suggested above all while doing a good 1 - 2 gallon water change every other day. You will start to see the GHA turn brown and start floating around. Get this out as quickly as possible and continue doing 1 - 2 gallon water changes every other day until the rocks are clean again.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 12:38 PM   #5
IveGotSunshine
Registered Member

Reef roids caused a huge GHA bloom in my tank as soon as I started using, I was feeding wayy too much and now ive been stuck with it for months. Im currently tryign the Fluconazole approach to get rid of it. It has improvedbut not much.

IveGotSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2018, 01:01 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveGotSunshine View Post
Reef roids caused a huge GHA bloom in my tank as soon as I started using, I was feeding wayy too much and now ive been stuck with it for months. Im currently tryign the Fluconazole approach to get rid of it. It has improvedbut not much.
Give the fluconazole time...it typically works wonders at the 2-3 week mark after dosage..
The gha will just go white and be gone...
Still need to address the reason it was there but it typically works well to kill it