Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Ab129
Registered Member

Confused again- more dead fish

I added a powder blue and a black clown to my 75 which only had one black clown in it.
All fish went through TTM before being introduced to the main tank.
The three fish are in there together for about a month. All seems fine. Everyone is getting along and eating well.
I just got over a bad algae outbreak over the summer and added 6 turbo snails.
A week later I bought one small emerald crab to help with bubble algae.
The day after the crab was added, my wife said she thought the PBs color was slightly different. That night he hid in the rocks and didn’t come out to eat.
He was dead on the sand the next morning.
A week later one of the clowns disappeared, and two days later, the final clown disappeared.
My LFS says they keep their snails and crabs in a different system that doesn’t share its water with the fish so that I didn’t need to QT the snails and crab.
My parameters are all good with the exception of my nitrates being a little higher than I would like.
Aside from my wife’s remark about his color (which I myself did not notice),everything seemed perfectly fine.
I just don’t get it.
Any ideas?

Current Tank Info: nitrates 0 SG 1.026, pH 8.1
Ab129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2020, 12:43 PM   #2
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab129 View Post
I added a powder blue and a black clown to my 75 which only had one black clown in it.
All fish went through TTM before being introduced to the main tank.
The three fish are in there together for about a month. All seems fine. Everyone is getting along and eating well.
I just got over a bad algae outbreak over the summer and added 6 turbo snails.
A week later I bought one small emerald crab to help with bubble algae.
The day after the crab was added, my wife said she thought the PBs color was slightly different. That night he hid in the rocks and didn’t come out to eat.
He was dead on the sand the next morning.
A week later one of the clowns disappeared, and two days later, the final clown disappeared.
My LFS says they keep their snails and crabs in a different system that doesn’t share its water with the fish so that I didn’t need to QT the snails and crab.
My parameters are all good with the exception of my nitrates being a little higher than I would like.
Aside from my wife’s remark about his color (which I myself did not notice),everything seemed perfectly fine.
I just don’t get it.
Any ideas?

Following as I’ve had a similar issue. Losing fish that seemed healthy and were eating while water parameters are stable and all in the correct range is so beyond frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2020, 06:30 AM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

I am sorry to hear the loss of your fish. I know it is frustrating as I've been through it myself over the years. But with the what you've mentioned it is impossible to say with any certainty what the cause is. Keep in mind our understanding of fish diseases and our ability to test and diagnose them is incredibly limited.

One possibility is uronema marinum. Although it usually causes skin ulcers it might not always show externally. It is not an oblligate parasite so it is possible it was transfered with one of the newer additions. Unfortunately it's also possible one of your fish had it before you purchased them and TTM would not keep it out of your system.