Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2013, 12:32 AM   #1
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

MP60 propeller not turning and the fix

My MP60 wet side propeller stopped turning today. I turned it off and removed the wetside. The propeller is attached to the wetside magnet, and it and the wetside magnet rotate on a white ceramic shaft. Mine was very difficult to turn by hand. So the first thing I did was plop the whole thing in vinegar for a few hours, thinking I had calcium buildup on the shaft. After a good multi-hour soak, I removed and cleaned off the outside of the wetside, but it was still very hard to turn. So I separated the three tabs that hold the inner magnet cover to the glass side cover on the wetside and pulled the propeller/magnet assembly off the white shaft. Sure enough, there was buildup on the shaft and no other apparent damage, but 6 hours in vinegar hadn't removed the buildup.

So I got out the muriatic acid and drizzled a bit of it over the shaft, and that took care of the issue. Reassembled the wetside and it is turning merrily inside the tank.

A couple months ago, another of my wetsides was acting up, and I noticed that the white center ceramic shaft was turning, which it should not do, as it is fixed in place. The ceramic shaft fits over a metal shaft, and you can fix this issue with superglue carefully applied to the inside of the ceramic shaft without getting any on the outside the magnet rotates around. Place it back on the metal shaft and allow the superglue to dry. My wetside is working like new again, and has been for a couple months.

So the point is, there are fixes that do not require the purchase of a new wetside assembly, and can be done for basically no money.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Good to know in a very expensive hobby

Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2014, 05:03 PM   #3
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

I had another MP60 in my 465 gallon tank show a stall code, and sure enough, the same issue with the impeller as the one I had on a different MP60 wetside in paot 1. A little bit of muriatic acid on the ceramic shaft and it spins freely.

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2015, 09:29 PM   #4
winwar
Registered Member

Thanks AcroporAddict
I got my wet side fixed less than $1

Current Tank Info: 300 Gallons SPS
winwar is offline   Reply With Quote