Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2006, 12:47 PM   #101
steve68
Registered Member

55semireef
why would u even post something like that?
Buddy Pine hang in there man.

Current Tank Info: 50 Breeder with 250w MH 10k XM bulb & 2 24inch VHO atinic 03,210 gallon Reef tank. 3 250 W MH,MRC CR-2 Reactor & MR-2 Skimmer,150 gallon sump,125 gallon refugium,75 Gallon Frag Tank & adding more water volume every t
steve68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2006, 11:10 PM   #102
tacomareefer
Registered Member

Wow I am sorry for your losses. I am also willing to send out some out soem frags when you are ready.

tacomareefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2006, 02:05 PM   #103
crispyreef
Registered Member

Great pics!

crispyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 10:06 AM   #104
reeferchickdc
Registered Member

Oh you poor thing. That really blows. I am so sorry. I feel a little sad and sick to my stomach for you. Good luck moving on. To look on the bright side... It will be really fun restocking and redesigning. I have a wonderful friend that I give my keys to when I'm gone to feed and take care of my tank. I feel like I should call and thank him right now. Actually, I will. aloha. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 40gl. 150W MH, HOB filter, CPR bakpak skimmer, fish, lots of corals. 10gl-70W MH, HOB live filter, tunze nanostream, two gobies, shrimp,dusters, corals.
reeferchickdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 10:06 AM   #105
reeferchickdc
Registered Member

Oh you poor thing. That really blows. I am so sorry. I feel a little sad and sick to my stomach for you. Good luck moving on. To look on the bright side... It will be really fun restocking and redesigning. I have a wonderful friend that I give my keys to when I'm gone to feed and take care of my tank. I feel like I should call and thank him right now. Actually, I will. aloha. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 40gl. 150W MH, HOB filter, CPR bakpak skimmer, fish, lots of corals. 10gl-70W MH, HOB live filter, tunze nanostream, two gobies, shrimp,dusters, corals.
reeferchickdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2006, 10:50 AM   #106
AdidaKev
Registered Member

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Current Tank Info: NA
AdidaKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 12:15 PM   #107
GlobaLPimP
Registered Member

I have read every post in this thread and all I can say is WOW. I'm so sorry for you and your tank. Now keep your chin up and give it another shot!

Current Tank Info: 75gl, SPS, LPS, IceCap/T5/SLR, 2 modded Tunze 6045's, PCI 350 skimmer w/ Gen-X 2400, 95lbs LR, GEN-X 4100 return
GlobaLPimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 02:19 PM   #108
KAZEKY
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear your loss. good luck

KAZEKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 03:27 PM   #109
999sterling
Registered Member

It seems it's always the equipment you expect to solve your problems that gets you. I lost my tank when I upgraded my lighting to a "new" used light fixture a few years ago. A support failed and the whole thing landed in the tank. Needless to say all breakers blew and I came home the following weekend to find that my reef was a glass box full of dead things in smelly water. What the power outage didn't kill I believe the metals in the fixture did. I've never seen or heard of anything in this hobby as bad as that feeling at that moment. If you want to give up the hobby...I wouldn't blame you. But remember what you'll be missing if you do. I've also never heard of anything so bad that it was better to never have had a reef. You'll never have a chance at a octopus hitch hiker if you don't first have a reef to put the rock in.

Good luck!!! and on the bright side....now you get to redesign and start with a clean tank, and lots more knowledge.

Current Tank Info: 20 SW Being currenlty being started. 55 Gal SW waiting to be moved and rebuilt. 60 Gal. FW. 15 gal. FW
999sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 04:10 PM   #110
duhfactor
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 999sterling
It seems it's always the equipment you expect to solve your problems that gets you. I lost my tank when I upgraded my lighting to a "new" used light fixture a few years ago. A support failed and the whole thing landed in the tank. Needless to say all breakers blew and I came home the following weekend to find that my reef was a glass box full of dead things in smelly water. What the power outage didn't kill I believe the metals in the fixture did. I've never seen or heard of anything in this hobby as bad as that feeling at that moment. If you want to give up the hobby...I wouldn't blame you. But remember what you'll be missing if you do. I've also never heard of anything so bad that it was better to never have had a reef. You'll never have a chance at a octopus hitch hiker if you don't first have a reef to put the rock in.

Good luck!!! and on the bright side....now you get to redesign and start with a clean tank, and lots more knowledge.
I just broke down my tank to move into my new house, and boy do I miss it....I also think you'll feel empty without it.....BTW 999sterling...where in utah do you live?

D

Current Tank Info: packed 75 gal reef
duhfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2006, 04:28 PM   #111
melev
Moved On

999sterling,

To Reef Central

You make some excellent points. So how come I've not ended up with a cool hitchhiker like this thread?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2006, 04:59 AM   #112
Manon
Registered Member

What a treat to be able to see this beautiful life daily!! I have leather coral which grows amazingly in my tank and before I learned how to propagate it I went to my local aquarium to see if they would take it b/c it was getting too big for my tank and they were really excited about it!! I would not take it back to the fish store either if it gets too big. I once had a tiny about 1/8" jelly fish that showed up in my tank!! Unfortunately, it disappeared as fast as it appeared. Don't know what happen to it, perhaps it is still in my tank!! Manon

Manon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2006, 06:34 PM   #113
Pico Keeper
Premium Member

I'm so sorry. I won't go into a long sympathetic letter here. Just make the best of restocking. Cure that rock, but it back in and PM me when you have a tank ready to go, i'll send you some sps and softy frags!

Setup a nano to keep you in the reefin spirit while you get the 180 going again.. Keep on truckin' Be strong and be grateful for the 7 years of enjoyment you did get out of the tank.

Pico Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 01:13 AM   #114
Rik James
Registered Member

I would also be more than glad to send you some frags. I'm just a newby but I have some soft corals that are doing well. Keep your chin up, and get that beautiful tank going again.

Unread 08/25/2006, 05:35 PM   #115
asfullax
Registered Member

Buddy Pine,

Sorry for your loss as I am sure everyone on here is. I can say that even though everybod'y tank is their own "child" I came into this hobby with the notion that I will have a crash at some point, unfortunately this has happened twice but with each time I remind myself that we are performing an almost impossible task of keeping these creatures and with each failure, we come back with stronger and better systems. Which, in turn ensures that we are helping to lengthen the captivity time for the future.

Looking at your tank pre AND POST I can tell that you have the heart and skills nessicary to continue, and although you may not feel it now you will love and cherish your new "child" just as you did before.

Again, I am sorry for what happened, but as you may have lost the inhabitants of the tank, you carry forward with experience gained.

Alex.

Current Tank Info: 2.5yr old, 129 Mixed Reef
asfullax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 02:27 PM   #116
ericwebster
Premium Member

sorry to hear.

My aquarium is my little world and I know how attached I have gotten in a very short time. We all do the best we can but these things still happen and its very sad.

Good luck rebuilding your world.

There should be a "Tank Crash Frag Fund" where people can donate frags so in case of a crash they can help re-populate your tank.

72G Tank
LTA, Pulsing Xenia, Blue Tang, Mated Maroons, 2 Damsels, Neon Goby, Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, Peppermint Shrimp (3), CBS (1), Cleaner Shrimp

Current Tank Info: 100G bow front corner. Yellow Tank, Coral Beauty, Clownfish, some SPS, LPS and Soft Corals
ericwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 04:50 PM   #117
asfullax
Registered Member

(THREADJACK)
There has always been talk about establishing a fund / support group but the general concept is flawed due to honesty issues. Without finding a way to confirm the validity of a crash, or cause its almost impossible.

Once somebody establishes a reef insurance organizaiton all we can do is help out on a personal level.

(WE NOW RETURN YOU BACK TO SOBBING)

Current Tank Info: 2.5yr old, 129 Mixed Reef
asfullax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 08:24 PM   #118
Buddy Pine
Registered Member

My first frags.

Hello everyone, thank you for all your support and sympathies.... I am trying to revive my beloved "reef" hobby back into action. Realistically, I sincerely appreciate your frag offerings, but in transit wise, I would not let that be a nuisance for everyone. Been in the dungeon for a while and thinking what to do. Fortunately there's a LFS called "Where's The Reef" in Mississauga, Ontario Canada, who's been very helpful. He started me with a couple of frags to start off my 50g. frag tank (that's what is running at the moment). I can't believe it i'm actually starting from scratch!, water cycling, the whole works! Here are my first frags.

Buddy Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 08:48 PM   #119
OrionN
Moved on

Best of luck to the future TOTM.

OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2006, 09:41 PM   #120
coil1002
Registered Member

Buddy

I commend you for starting over.

coil1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 07:35 AM   #121
ericwebster
Premium Member

Best thing about starting over -- is you can rebuild better than before (mistakes of the past)

I know I have already done some things diffrently if I knew then what I know now.

72G Tank
LTA, Pulsing Xenia, Blue Tang, Mated Maroons, 2 Damsels, Neon Goby, Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, Peppermint Shrimp (3), CBS (1), Cleaner Shrimp

Current Tank Info: 100G bow front corner. Yellow Tank, Coral Beauty, Clownfish, some SPS, LPS and Soft Corals
ericwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 12:49 PM   #122
jbittner
Registered Member

Glad to see you back---Best of luck

jbittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2006, 02:35 PM   #123
jasutton
Registered Member

Geez

I am frickin depressed

"I started laughing till it didnt hurt"- The Good Life

Current Tank Info: 20L and building a 5.5 (almost done!)
jasutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2006, 05:16 PM   #124
broncomike
Registered Member

You da man! Hang in there! And remember; there are two types of people in the reef collecting world - ones that have had a tank crash and ones that will have a tank crash! Good Luck and keep us posted!

broncomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2006, 05:17 PM   #125
broncomike
Registered Member

You da man! Hang in there! And remember; there are two types of people in the reef collecting world - ones that have had a tank crash and ones that will have a tank crash! Good Luck and keep us posted!

broncomike is offline   Reply With Quote