Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2019, 06:10 PM   #1
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Time to re-pair or separate?

I’ve had two Nebula (A. Percula) clowns for 5 months that were acquired as juveniles. One has established itself as the dominant of the two. It lives in a rose BTA and doesn’t let the other one in the anemone.
They don’t fight. They just do not act as a “bonded” pair. The clowns live in the opposite corners of my reef tank.
Option 1: leave them be.
Option 2: move them both in a quarantine tank for re-pairing
Option 3: separate them.
Which is better and why?
Thanks.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2019, 10:38 PM   #2
ratienza80
Registered Member

I think if you really want them to pair, test them out in the quarantine tank and see how they do. if the dominant one is too aggressive then maybe they are not a good pair for one another.

ratienza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 12:50 AM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Be patient. Them not fighting is actually a good sign.
My first percula pair didn't really get along well for the first year.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 08:57 PM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The main problem is that the dominant clown wouldn’t share the anemone. I chased the submissive clown with tongs towards the anemone and the other clown wouldn’t let him in. So, I removed both of them from the main tank and placed them in QT with a flowerpot. The dominant clown has accepted the flowerpot as a host while the submissive clown hovers above it. Still no fighting and they seem to do okay. Sharing a host anemone is what’s been an issue. I’ll observe them in QT for 3-4 weeks to see if anything changes. They are still very young and not that big in size.

Unread 07/14/2019, 09:22 PM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

They are not mature yet. They will be fine later. I am sure when they mature there will be a small battle then everything will fall into place.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2019, 11:07 PM   #6
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

On the other hand, a newly formed pair of wild caught clowns has shown progress. They've been paired for only 8 days and started to share a flowerpot today without any issues.