Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2014, 11:29 PM   #1
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Ruby Dragonet species only tank.

I have finally formed a successful harem of three females and one male ruby dragonet. The tank itself has just a few corals and some macro. I'll admit the tank was fairly boring until the male finally came in. Now he dances all day! Food frozen brine two or three times a day is the feeding schedule. Ill be getting video and picts up soon.

mrcyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 08:45 AM   #2
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Almost didn't read last sentence. Sounds sweet

Unread 06/26/2014, 09:21 AM   #3
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Well I knew that would be your first demand lol

Unread 06/26/2014, 10:47 AM   #4
rnmb1988
Registered Member

Sounds Sweet!!! I love the ruby Dragonet's. Cant wait to see some pics/vid!!

Current Tank Info: Hexahedron 50gal cube & 12 gal shallow frag
rnmb1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 06:55 PM   #5
Curtis1
Registered Member

Waiting for the video,,,

I just got one today. I love him, he is eating like a pig !!!

Curtis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 07:07 PM   #6
sharkboy99999
Registered Member

Do they eat pods or what

sharkboy99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Curtis1
Registered Member

Yes, mine hasn't stopped peckin' since I put him in the tank. I also have a Green Mandarin. The Green is a female, the Ruby is a male. The Green is a FATTY, looks like a giant psychedelic tadpole from the late 60's !!! She , just recently, has even started eating frozen!!! The Green, has shown some interest to the Ruby, no aggression, she just looks at him, and turns away to go eat ? I have a giant pod factory in my sump. The entire bottom of the first two chambers are pretty much lined with LR and rubble. I keep a giant, basketball or larger sized cheato and Ulva as well as some Fern Calerpa in there. There is so much life down there, I even have a small Yellow Watchman Goby down there, it refuses to stay up in the tank, so I just let him be. He has been down there now for 9 mos or longer. I have never fed him once, yet there are still plenty of pods, all sizes. Some are Isopods as big as 1/4" or a bit longer. I am looking forward to the video of the Ruby's dancing. Don't mean to take over your thread.

Unread 06/26/2014, 09:06 PM   #8
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Curtis do you have a picture of your male?

Unread 06/26/2014, 09:28 PM   #9
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Well, first footage fail. I think they think my white phone is a fish lol. They aren't scared of my hand on the tank but the phone spooks em good lol. Solution? More cameras. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Unread 06/27/2014, 09:41 AM   #10
wowkingjames
Registered Member

I had some but went to Miami for 18 days and don't know what happen but thanks for the idea. I'm gonna get something similar to yours one male and females. Interested in the Ruby dance lol! ;-)

wowkingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2014, 01:26 PM   #11
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Actually that's why its species only in the nano. I had placed a female in my reef and she dissappeared inside of a week.

Unread 06/28/2014, 03:04 PM   #12
Curtis1
Registered Member

mrcyrus, sorry, no pics. He had diagonal black stripes on the dorsal fin. He WAS,,, a beautiful little fish. He WAS,,, doing great, made himself at home the second day in the tank. Spent all day working over a section about two foot long. Sadly I got up around 5:00Am the third day and decided to check my filter socks to see if any one had decided to go down the overflow. The same time that I stocked him, I put in a Red Blotched Perchlet 1-1/4" long, and two very small Bartlett's Anthias @ 1-1/4" long also. I was really expecting to find at least one of the Anthias in there. Sadly I found the Ruby. He was still alive when I found him. I put him back into the tank. Not sure, exactly of his condition, as it was dark when all this took place. I went ahead and removed the socks for a few days, to be safe. I have not seen the little Ruby since. But, I will say this, he may still be in there, a 75 gal is pretty big for one of these little guys. He could easily be on the backside of my rock, and me not see him. In fact, today was the first that I have seen of the Perchlet, since dropping him in the water three days ago !!! He is a cool little fish. Looks exactly like a miniature Pixie Hawkfish, except has a very large, and pronounced first spine on the dorsal fin, unlike the Hawkfishes. I recently removed several, larger, more loud or boisterous fish to make room for the small ones. I will try another Ruby soon. Hope that you have good luck with yours. I thought that it was odd that he would have swam up that high to get caught in the overflow ??? I wonder if maybe something scared him or even chased him ??? I have a couple large serpent stars and a couple Cardinals all moving around at night after lights out. My serpents have been model citizens and even hang out with my super docile Scissortail. I even saw one with it's arm laying across the small Perchlet today when I spotted him.

Unread 06/28/2014, 04:05 PM   #13
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Not surprising at all actually. 2 of the 3 females I have slept at a hover at the very top of the water. I freaked out the first time I night observed, thought it was dead. Anyhow this makes them easy targets for overflows. I just have a hob for flow and macro in the tank.

Unread 06/29/2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Curtis1
Registered Member

Wow, I'd never thought that ? I have a 1500gph overflow, running an Ehiem 1260 @ 635gph so if it slept up on top like yours, it didn't have a chance ! Last I checked on him. he was at the bottom on the sand, curled up by a pc of LR. I'll try another one sometime. Good luck with the harem !!!

Unread 06/29/2014, 02:10 PM   #15
mrcyrus
Registered Member

There we go! They are still shy but its better than before.

Unread 06/29/2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Curtis1
Registered Member

That is cool ! I could sit and watch'em for a long time. That is the way to go. Much different than my tank. Typical high-flo and light. I like the Tonga bones and the weedbeds. Could you add Seahorses or Pipefish ? I am really enjoying the smaller fish. I just added a Red Blotched Perchlet. Have to hunt for him every day. He is really shy and timid. But is starting to move out into the open a little. Good job, keep it up and good luck !!!

Unread 06/29/2014, 07:49 PM   #17
johnike
Moved On

Want!!
Very nice.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2014, 08:08 PM   #18
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis1 View Post
That is cool ! I could sit and watch'em for a long time. That is the way to go. Much different than my tank. Typical high-flo and light. I like the Tonga bones and the weedbeds. Could you add Seahorses or Pipefish ? I am really enjoying the smaller fish. I just added a Red Blotched Perchlet. Have to hunt for him every day. He is really shy and timid. But is starting to move out into the open a little. Good job, keep it up and good luck !!!
Yeah, they were on the list, looking for specific pipe fish. Also adding sexy shrimp as they come to the lfs just one in there atm.

Unread 06/29/2014, 09:42 PM   #19
javles
Registered Member

What kind of pipefish?

javles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 04:24 AM   #20
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Looking for banded or Yellow Multibanded Pipefish. Jimmy got a dragon face in, I probably would have tried that one also.

Unread 07/09/2014, 07:43 PM   #21
mrcyrus
Registered Member

3 of 5 sexy shrimp came in today. They don't ship very well.

Unread 07/09/2014, 09:08 PM   #22
mrcyrus
Registered Member

Riding the bull lol macro is kickin this guy up and down.

The original one is 2x larger than the rest.

Unread 07/10/2014, 01:32 AM   #23
javles
Registered Member

I want 1! Lol

javles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2014, 05:15 PM   #24
mrcyrus
Registered Member

New trio! Also added some blue mushrooms.

Unread 07/11/2014, 06:28 PM   #25
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Pipe fish are awesome.