Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2018, 09:48 AM   #7151
VoiceInTheDeser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
I appreciate you sharing your wisdom the skimmer stays for now. I'm cycling the tank so running the skimmer during the cycle would be counterproductive considering it would pull the organic materials from the water column before the bacteria can colonies and consume them right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I wouldn't bother with the skimmer until it cycles. Someone smarter than me might chime in and correct me, but my understanding is that you'll be removing a lot of the stuff that's necessary for the cycle to actually occur. Once you have the cycle finished, you could fire it up, but it still won't catch much until there's an actual bioload in the tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS
VoiceInTheDeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 01:00 PM   #7152
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceInTheDeser View Post
Hey everyone. I'm starting a 40g cube build and looking for the right skimmer. It's going to be home to a Dwarf Lion and possibly nothing else, fish wise. For corals, I wasn't planning much, maybe some mushrooms, maybe some LPS, but the tank is about the Lion and whatever can live with him.

Been looking into a couple skimmers. The sump I have is smallish, skimmer chamber about 7 inches wide and 11 inches long. As a result, the K2-50/120, Eshopps X-120, Skimz SN-123 and Simplicity 120 have been my main research candidates.

I know the Lion is gonna make a mess, but I don't want to oversize the skimmer and have it perform inconsistently. Thoughts on the models I've found? Something else entirely?
Nothing better for small tanks Aquamaxx CO-1 if you can provide the correct water height.

Unread 02/15/2018, 01:02 PM   #7153
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
I appreciate you sharing your wisdom the skimmer stays for now. I'm cycling the tank so running the skimmer during the cycle would be counterproductive considering it would pull the organic materials from the water column before the bacteria can colonies and consume them right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you leave the cup off and let it overflows and does not remove anything. I rely mostly on skimming nowadays and bacteria will still colonize, , just need to start slow and not throw as much in. Plus if I have rock that needs to be cured the skimmer can help. Really depends on what you are doing.

Unless you use live rock there is not much of a ammonia cycle and personally you should cycle your rock in a different container.

Unread 03/12/2018, 04:39 PM   #7154
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Does anyone have experience with the Italian Ultra Reef Akula skimmers?

If so, what are your opinions on build and performance. Looks solid and a decent size chamber with the effluent going into the base, but that neck transition looks odd and abrupt.

thanks in advance

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 05:40 PM   #7155
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Italian Ultra Reef Akula skimmers?

If so, what are your opinions on build and performance. Looks solid and a decent size chamber with the effluent going into the base, but that neck transition looks odd and abrupt.

thanks in advance

Tivo

Best skimmer I have owned and I have owned allot. Very high quality.. Everything comes apart for cleaning including the neck in the cup.

JB NY has one on a tank that is larger than what the skimmer is rated and it handles it fine. That is rare and BK skimmers are the only other skimmer that comes close to their rating.. BK still has a better pump but at a premium.
Highly recommended.

Last edited by shred5; 03/12/2018 at 05:47 PM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:32 PM   #7156
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Thanks David. I was looking at the BK double cone 130 and wasn't overwhelmed by the reviews. The Akula is on my list now.
What does the neck transition at the collar look like? Short & Smooth like the BK mini. I'd imagine it has some sort off taper. Just curious

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller

Last edited by reeftivo; 03/12/2018 at 06:41 PM.
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:58 PM   #7157
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks David. I was looking at the BK double cone 130 and wasn't overwhelmed by the reviews. The Akula is on my list now.
What does the neck transition at the collar look like? Short & Smooth like the BK mini. I'd imagine it has some sort off taper. Just curious
Never heard anything bad about the mini or Supermarin. I have heard the double cone can be a little touchy and a little harder to dial in.

Unread 03/13/2018, 09:43 PM   #7158
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Best skimmer I have owned and I have owned allot. Very high quality.. Everything comes apart for cleaning including the neck in the cup.

JB NY has one on a tank that is larger than what the skimmer is rated and it handles it fine. That is rare and BK skimmers are the only other skimmer that comes close to their rating.. BK still has a better pump but at a premium.
Highly recommended.
The search is on for the elusive akula. Two places I'vetried don't know when they'll get them again. Figures!

Unread 03/13/2018, 10:15 PM   #7159
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
The search is on for the elusive akula. Two places I'vetried don't know when they'll get them again. Figures!
Where did you look? The only place I know is Unique Corals? They have the smaller sized one. They do not know when they will have more larger ones. There is a new dc one with the new Sicce dc pump.

I got mine on EBay.

If you find one let me know I need a larger one for another system,

Wonder if Ultrareef will sell direct.

Unread 03/14/2018, 07:09 AM   #7160
CuseReefer84
Registered Member

I have a Question. I have a Eshopps PSK 150 protein skimmer and I'm getting about 3/4s cup of skim a day, but when I look up through the glass I can still see a film at the top. I thought maybe it was the flow, cuz neither the power head nor the returns water flow was breaking the surface so I positioned one of them to do so, that was about 12 hours ago and while it did improve a tad, there's still film. Plz any feed back would be appreciated. Oh and I have a 75g w/20g refugium.

CuseReefer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:27 PM   #7161
reeftivo
Skim junkie

i assume you have an overflow-correct?

you state you have power heads and return aimed upwards, but are they pushing the film away from the overflow towards the corners? Mine used to do that until i re-positioned my pumps a little. a Gyre pump would give you nice wide laminar flow across the surface

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:32 PM   #7162
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Where did you look? The only place I know is Unique Corals? They have the smaller sized one. They do not know when they will have more larger ones. There is a new dc one with the new Sicce dc pump.

I got mine on EBay.

If you find one let me know I need a larger one for another system,

Wonder if Ultrareef will sell direct.
Tried unique and Donna told me they dont.

also tried a shop in NY that had them listed on their website.

i just inquired and didn't try placing an order. Maybe that's the rub.

i saw that sicce DC skimmer from them on ************ (SICK)

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:37 PM   #7163
reeftivo
Skim junkie

typhoon looks insane

ultra-reef-typhoon-skimmer-1.jpg

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:43 PM   #7164
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Tried unique and Donna told me they dont.

also tried a shop in NY that had them listed on their website.

i just inquired and didn't try placing an order. Maybe that's the rub.

i saw that sicce DC skimmer from them on ************ (SICK)
I am going to contact them and see what it would take to bring one in direct. I have done other stuff several times. Maybe can get a few together? Heck maybe I will start a business importing them. LOL..

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:02 PM   #7165
reeftivo
Skim junkie

call it "Shred5 imports"

i sent a message directly to "ultrareef.it" but wont hold my breath. it was early this a.m. and they were probably already closed.

is it me or do those things go for much more across the pond? i've seen them on a couple UK sites over 500euro for the 160.

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:48 PM   #7166
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
call it "Shred5 imports"

i sent a message directly to "ultrareef.it" but wont hold my breath. it was early this a.m. and they were probably already closed.

is it me or do those things go for much more across the pond? i've seen them on a couple UK sites over 500euro for the 160.
Have you heard anything? I hit them up on their Facebook page.

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:03 PM   #7167
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Have you heard anything? I hit them up on their Facebook page.
Hi David

yes! Davide from Ultra Reef contacted me the next day and said no problem to direct ship.

the skimmer is a great price at 286 eu but shipping a single unit is 120 eu to california-ouch.

still, if you tack on tax in the states + the 448 they are going for here, it is only a little more to order direct from italy. even better with multiple units.

long story short, i ordered one and it shipped today. Had a gift card left over from xmas that covered the shipping so i split the paypal payments and whalla! akula 160 on the way.

I hope it doesn't get trashed during shipping. I have had bad luck with the mail lately.

Tivo

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:59 PM   #7168
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi David

yes! Davide from Ultra Reef contacted me the next day and said no problem to direct ship.

the skimmer is a great price at 286 eu but shipping a single unit is 120 eu to california-ouch.

still, if you tack on tax in the states + the 448 they are going for here, it is only a little more to order direct from italy. even better with multiple units.

long story short, i ordered one and it shipped today. Had a gift card left over from xmas that covered the shipping so i split the paypal payments and whalla! akula 160 on the way.

I hope it doesn't get trashed during shipping. I have had bad luck with the mail lately.

Tivo
Cool that is what is I am running on my reefer 250. Great skimmer you are going to love it.. Every part comes apart. The neck comes out of the cup so the neck and cup is easy to clean instead of trying to get your hand in it.. Very well built. The gate valve allows for extremely fine tuning.
It is a sicce pump so parts should be easy if need be. That still is a good price for a skimmer of that quality. I just had a light fixture shipped from Germany and it was expensive but made it here in like 2 days. Let me know how it goes?

I need a much larger Skimmer, my new system is 120 gallon with 3 frag tanks and the possibility 3 more.

I do not get Unique Corals not pushing this skimmer it could be a hit.. I seriously thought about doing it myself. It fits that sweet spot in price but it is high quality. Better quality and close in performance to ATB but cheaper. Skimmer is maybe even better quality than BK except for pump but way cheaper.

Last edited by shred5; 03/21/2018 at 07:06 PM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 07:40 PM   #7169
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Thanks David
I'm pretty excited.
My BK mini had that removable neck too. Super convinient when running a skim locker.
You should ask Davide to price out a typhoon 200 for you. I'll bet you'll be surprised at the quote. I got hold of him at info@ultrareef.it

I'll update when it arrives

Happy reefing

Unread 03/24/2018, 07:01 AM   #7170
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks David
I'm pretty excited.
My BK mini had that removable neck too. Super convinient when running a skim locker.
You should ask Davide to price out a typhoon 200 for you. I'll bet you'll be surprised at the quote. I got hold of him at info@ultrareef.it

I'll update when it arrives

Happy reefing
I have a question if you ordered the Akula 160 why did you not buy from Unique corals?.. THat size is the only one they do have in stock..

I did contact Ultra reef about getting another skimmer. I am going to order one next month.. I have ordered too much already this month for my new build..

Unread 03/24/2018, 09:53 AM   #7171
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Hi David

They told me no, they don't have any.
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018, 3:40 PM Donna Soskin - UC wrote:
Steve

We are out of stock on that right now.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018, 3:43 PM Donna Soskin - UC wrote:
Sorry Steve. I'm not in charge of the ordering and am uncertain when the next import is coming from Italy

Unread 03/24/2018, 10:07 AM   #7172
reeftivo
Skim junkie

What's done is done. Now there's a mail strike
in Italy. Told you I have been having bad luck with the mail. Ultrareef is holding off on shipping until resolved. Should be next week though.

Unread 03/24/2018, 03:36 PM   #7173
shred5
Registered Member

Weird it still shows up on their site.. I thought you were ordering a model up.. The larger models are on not on their site. It is what it is..

A mail strike.. Arent they shipping it ups or fedex?

Unread 03/25/2018, 11:05 AM   #7174
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Weird it still shows up on their site.. I thought you were ordering a model up.. The larger models are on not on their site. It is what it is..

A mail strike.. Arent they shipping it ups or fedex?
It shows up on their site, but I've been stuck waiting for long periods before when merchants take payment but don't show out of stock. That's why I contacted them in advance. Not sure about the mail strike that ultra reef stated, just have to take their word for it. They had a big strike list year so not sure if this may be some residual fall out.

Fingers crossed it will ship this week.

Unread 03/26/2018, 02:13 PM   #7175
GoNoles
Registered Member

Question on a Reef Octopus 110 classic. Just filled tank and sump, started it up and have perfect flow through sump. Put skimmer on stand to give it the 7" optimal water level, opened valve all the way open and within 10 seconds the collection fills up with foam/water. I know that all skimmers have "break in" period, but shouldn't overflow the cup with valve all the way open? Looking for any answers...

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex