Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2018, 06:54 AM   #5926
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Colors on that last one are really getting bright...

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 08:57 PM   #5927
barone
Registered Member

I'm taking delivery on a 240 this week. Purchased a 6 stage Plus water saver (150 GPD)from BRS. I do have new hardwood floors, but will do water changes directly into house waste line and pump new water directly from 100 gal storage tank.

barone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 08:50 AM   #5928
humaguy
Premium Member

another snow storm with the fish..

lol, the looks those four are giving me

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 04:25 PM   #5929
Dustyuk
Registered Member

I see barnett has 3 baby kingii...........

Dustyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 10:19 AM   #5930
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyuk View Post
still too big

Unread 04/29/2018, 10:29 AM   #5931
humaguy
Premium Member

a couple lame pics but the best of the batch. she is growing fast and is now considerably bigger than the larger conspic. she also has an attitude, which I am not diggin at all. I need to get some of these fish into the dt, maybe Memorial Day weekend, if not early June. She is just over 1 year old, lol, like a year and 2 weeks, and with me just about 9 months. I will try and get some decent pics soon lol, providing I can take some. Hope you are all well, tk

Unread 04/30/2018, 11:41 AM   #5932
humaguy
Premium Member

great to see Frank back in the breeding hat.
working with convict tang (Acanthurus triostegus) right now.

Unread 04/30/2018, 04:17 PM   #5933
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
a couple lame pics but the best of the batch. she is growing fast and is now considerably bigger than the larger conspic. she also has an attitude, which I am not diggin at all. I need to get some of these fish into the dt, maybe Memorial Day weekend, if not early June. She is just over 1 year old, lol, like a year and 2 weeks, and with me just about 9 months. I will try and get some decent pics soon lol, providing I can take some. Hope you are all well, tk

What are your plans if her attitude becomes a problem in the DT? Set up another tank for her? Shame to hear that, she is stunning

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 02:49 AM   #5934
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyuk View Post
this Friday I will hopefully have some good news

Unread 05/01/2018, 03:51 PM   #5935
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
What are your plans if her attitude becomes a problem in the DT? Set up another tank for her? Shame to hear that, she is stunning
then back to the 250 she goes but I think it will be fine. it is not bad, there is no damage, she is just asserting her dominance over the conspics. she was the smallest of the 3 when they came and now she is the biggest and taking advantage of it. I am also going to move casper/dash, the cortez, and maybe the lemon peel.

Unread 05/01/2018, 03:55 PM   #5936
humaguy
Premium Member

trying to get some decents pics for a new pe/poma catalog

Unread 05/01/2018, 04:40 PM   #5937
nsfishguy
Registered Member

Is that a Powder Blue hybrid you have? A real beauty!

nsfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 05:15 PM   #5938
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfishguy View Post
Is that a Powder Blue hybrid you have? A real beauty!
hi fish,

yes, a pb hybrid. she is a great fish and becoming more beautiful every day!

thanks for looking!

tk

Unread 05/02/2018, 07:35 PM   #5939
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 05/04/2018, 02:22 AM   #5940
humaguy
Premium Member

1.75-2 inches, that is a size I can deal with!

Unread 05/04/2018, 04:44 AM   #5941
humaguy
Premium Member

This is Pieter's famous baby Kingi, that he collected in a lagoon around the Kei River in SA, in 2013. This was really the first to be seen at this size and is what I have been hoping for. I should have a pic or two tonight. Not sure it will be this small, we shall see.

Last edited by humaguy; 05/04/2018 at 04:50 AM.
Unread 05/04/2018, 10:15 AM   #5942
E.intheC
Registered Member

Very cool fish!

Unread 05/05/2018, 08:06 AM   #5943
humaguy
Premium Member

Frank returns in abig way..

RCT Announces Aquacultured Convict Tangs

Frank Baensch has always been an aquarist on the bleeding edge—in the realm of many unknowns and no shortage of risks. You may know Baensch as the first to breed Centropyge angelfish at the Reef Culture Technologies (RTC) laboratory in Hawaii some 17 years ago. More recently, Baensch’s focus has shifted from a captive-bred research model to utilizing the RTC labs under the banner of the Hawaii Larval Fish Project (HLFP).

Revisiting the Hawaii Larval Fish Project
Baesnch shared this project in great detail in the March/April 2014 issue of CORAL Magazine, but as a brief recap, Baensch skips the broodstock phase of a captive-breeding project, instead sourcing fertilized fish eggs from the ocean waters around Hawaii, the logic being that Mother Nature is going to produce the highest quality, best possible eggs.

Conversely, captive-held broodstock may fail to produce eggs of a similar quality, ultimately hampering a rearing effort before it even gets started. By utilizing wild-sourced eggs, Baensch (and the HLFP) minimize their impact on the reef (no broodstock collection), circumventing one pitfall of captive-breeding research to focus squarely on larviculture; rearing those high-quality wild eggs to juvenile fishes. Because of this lingering tie to the ocean, Baensch’s current work under the Hawaii Larval Fish Project fails to meet the strict definition of “captive-bred,” but the results are groundbreaking in the field of aquaculture research.

This methodology has repeatedly shown Baensch to be leading the pack when it comes to growing marine fish in captivity. Before the world’s first captive-bred Anthias, nevermind the amazing commercial availability of the deepwater Borbonius Anthias via Biota Marine Life Palau, it was the Hawaii Larval Fish Project that cracked the code with multiple Anthine species, most notably the very rare Hawaiian Yellow Anthias (Odontanthias fuscippinis) in 2013. Before we had the world’s first captive-bred Butterflyfish (at the hands of Baensch), it was the HLFP that brought us an aquacultured Schooling Bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes) reared from field-collected eggs.

The World’s First Aquacultured Tang from the Genus Acanthurus

On April 30th, 2018, Frank Baensch privately shared some news with his friends on social media: “After an extended break from fish culture, it felt good to be back in the hatchery again. Here’s a clip of Convict Tang (Acanthurus triostegus) post-larvae becoming juveniles after 90+ days in culture. The fish were raised from wild collected eggs for the Hawaii Larval Fish Project.”
In the subsequent discussion, Baensch noted that the fish had been reared entirely on cultured feeds. “The larvae have similar rearing requirements to Yellow Tang and Blue Tang,” wrote Baensch.”I am excited (and wanted to prove to myself) that surgeonfish larvae can be raised at my facility – in a small culture tank with limited saltwater supply. Also, no [wild] plankton was used, which could make this exciting for smaller inland breeders.”

Indeed, Baensch’s methodology–using limited water and cultivated feeds–means that a land-locked fish breeder, thousands of miles from the ocean may be able to produce the live feeds necessary to rear a captive-born Convict Tang, ultimately replicating a success like this. However, it’s going to be a lot of work, as Baensch went on to relate. “While the larvae are quite robust, they do require almost constant feedings, which makes culturing them very time-consuming. The little guys pretty much took up the last 3+ months of my life.”
An Optimistic Future View

Baensch’s track record suggests that his latest accomplishment may foreshadow another captive-breeding breakthrough on the horizon (in this case, a species within the genus Acanthurus). We only have two Tang species on the captive-bred list so far: first the Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) at the Oceanic Institute at Hawaii Pacific University, followed rapidly by the Pacific Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) at University of Florida’s Tropical Aquaculture Lab.

With wild-harvested species like the popular Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon), or perhaps the sought-after Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles), we can only hope that this work leads to the successful cultivation of these high-demand and sometimes difficult-to-keep species. We look forward to whatever goal Frank Baensch sets his sights on next!

Further Reading

You can review Frank Baensch’s entire aquaculture research career on his newest website, FrankBaensch.com. Both captive-breeding and larval-rearing accomplishments are prominently cataloged in Baensch’s fish culture research blog at https://www.frankbaensch.com/marine-...e/my-research/

https://vimeo.com/user84502777/cultured-convict-tang

Unread 05/05/2018, 08:07 AM   #5944
humaguy
Premium Member

ah, so cool, she is just under 2 inches. pics at some point soon

Unread 05/05/2018, 05:21 PM   #5945
humaguy
Premium Member

I saw a pic and she looks to be 2 inches
I wish she was just a bit smaller

Unread 05/08/2018, 04:09 AM   #5946
humaguy
Premium Member

and they just collected a baby, 1.5 inch, lil one
so killer

Unread 05/08/2018, 05:37 AM   #5947
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
and they just collected a baby, 1.5 inch, lil one
so killer
Any way for you to claim it?

Unread 05/08/2018, 06:00 AM   #5948
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
Any way for you to claim it?
yes, she is heading this way providing she does well

Unread 05/08/2018, 07:14 AM   #5949
humaguy
Premium Member

here is the 2 inch
I will have a pic of the smaller one late tonight/tomorrow

Unread 05/08/2018, 06:52 PM   #5950
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
here is the 2 inch
I will have a pic of the smaller one late tonight/tomorrow
Ted, I love living through you vicariously

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote