Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Announcements
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2018, 04:01 PM   #26
fitch4
Registered Member

Only a few days to go before the biggest single day swap in the whole US! Anyone even close to CT should give the Frag Farmer's Market a shot. If you have never come out, you will not be disappointed. With close to 70 coral vendors, there are more corals at the FFM than at any other swap or show. If you have come out in the past, you are already coming out, so I will see you there!

Here are some more questions that I have gotten on forums, PM's, emails, etc...

"I have to drive 3 hours to get to the Frag Farmers, is it really worth it?"

-I always look at a big show this way; I drive an hour to go to some of the shops I like best. What if I could drive 3 to see all of the fish stores in one place. With almost 70 coral vendors this year, this is the single largest grouping of corals you can find anywhere. No conference, no show, no swap focuses on just corals and has this many vendors. The room after room of corals at the FFM is overwhelming, even to me and I have been at them all!

“How do I get tickets?”

Admission is $5 and spouses and kids under 12 are free! All sales are at the door for the FFM. There are no advanced sales.

"Will there be high end Zoas and SPS at the FFM?"

-Yes, there are a TON of high end Zoas and SPS at the FFM, sold by many of the vendors.

"Can I find easy to keep corals? I have a new tank and am just looking to fill some space."

-Yes, that is there too. Lots of the hobbyists farm easy stuff, GSP, mushrooms, leathers, xenia, etc...

"What are the typical prices at the FFM?"

-The prices here are better than you will find anywhere for three reasons. One, the shops always stock up to sell at shows and give better pricing than you would see in their store, or online. They often do package deals, 5 for $50, etc... Secondly, the buy-in for shops is so low, they don't feel the pressure to make back their set-up fee. Typical shows this size charge $100's (or $1000’s) just for the space, mine is still well under $100, and only $30 for hobbyists. People always ask why don't I charge more, and the answer is I'm not in this for the money. I just want to be able to run my coral project with the kids at the school. Lastly, with so many vendors, you can find the same coral at multiple stations. That competition causes better prices. Frags range anywhere from free (yes that happens!) all the way up to $1000+.

"Do vendors accept credit cards?"

-Some do, some don't. Most of the shops do but some of the hobbyists do not. I always suggest cash, its the sure thing.

“How much money should I bring?”

This is a tricky question. Let me give you a word problem to describe it (sorry it's a teacher thing):

When you leave home, you plan to spend $X. You will spend that much and then see three other things you want. You will visit the ATM across the street and take out more $Y, which you also spend. You leave having spent $X + $Y, and wishing you had bought that one frag for $Z that you had never seen before. How much trouble are you in with your wife?

“Should I bring a cooler?”

Yes, bring a cooler. The good news is that you don’t have to lug it around all day. The FFM has added a FREE cooler check station. The volunteers at the station will watch your cooler for you all day. If you need to drop something off, just stop by the table and throw it into your cooler!

"Is there a raffle?"

Yes there is. It is one of the biggest you will see at a swap with anything from rock to supplements, fish to coral, controllers to pumps, AIO tanks to 100 gallon reef ready set-ups, and a TON more! Raffle tickets are for sale all day at the FFM.

"Where does all the money from the FFM go?"

-ALL of the proceeds go to support the E.O. Smith High School Coral Project. I teach my students about corals, aquaculture and conservation by having them help me run the schools coral farm. The FFM has become so successful that I have been able to start helping other schools get going with similar projects in their classrooms. I have also used the proceeds from the FFM to give out $3000 in scholarships over the last three years.

See you all in a few days!

Jon

Largest Single Day Coral Show in the U.S.! - 100+ Vendors!

Current Tank Info: 100, 135 reefs and 150g and 800g frag tanks
fitch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 08:54 PM   #27
fitch4
Registered Member

I know if you watch the national weather reports it looks like the world is about to end here in the NE but the local weather reports for the area around the FFM looks like we should be good. Rain on Friday, a little snow overnight (a couple inches, maybe?) and then it is out for Saturday morning. The FFM is a go for this year. FRAG ON!

Unread 03/05/2018, 04:39 AM   #28
fitch4
Registered Member

Final head count on the 2018 FFM was 1312 people attended- up almost 200 from last year! It was a HUGE show with a TON of corals.

Next year's FFM is planned for 3/2/19 SAVE THE DATE!

Unread 03/05/2018, 08:20 PM   #29
RyanSweatt2004
Registered Member

Awesome, that’s a lot of people and corals lol

RyanSweatt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote