Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2018, 05:50 PM   #1
PirateLove
Registered Member

Do I need a refugium for cheato?

I have never used cheato before. Can I just section off the part of my sump in front of my return pump with some egg crate? I have a powerhead in that section. Would this work?

Current tank: Cad Lights 42 versa. Kessil AP700. Some Sps and Lps.
PirateLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Yes you can, buy it might be a pain as it grows. I have a gravity fed “algae barrel”.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 05:56 PM   #3
ramseynb
Registered Member

Should work just fine. You can also look into an algae reactor or turf scrubber if you want something more contained.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Lsufan
Registered Member

It should work how u describe but u will have to light it & that will grow other algea also. So u may find u need to clean the sump & the return pump often. To me it wouldn’t be worth it & I would do without the cheato. I would make or buy a scrubber if I didn’t have a fuge & wanted to do somthing to try & help with nutrients

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:23 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would bet that a large percentage of reefers that run a fuge just use a section of their sump, rather than a separate tank, if that's what you're asking.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 08:29 AM   #6
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
It should work how u describe but u will have to light it & that will grow other algea also. So u may find u need to clean the sump & the return pump often. To me it wouldn’t be worth it & I would do without the cheato. I would make or buy a scrubber if I didn’t have a fuge & wanted to do somthing to try & help with nutrients
I agree, this is the problem... controlling the light.
OP, you might be better off with a reactor like the Parabellum(sp?), but look at the many DIY tutorials out there. Or just go with the turf scrubber.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Fraq
Registered Member

You can run it in a section of the sump but the algae will spread if you don't have a good way of containing it. Also the light will bleed to other parts of the sump which can spread algae even further. I run a Algae scrubber which sits on top of my sump and i like that better than a refugium, personally.

Fraq is offline   Reply With Quote