Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2011, 08:28 AM   #126
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumarjr View Post
Bootcamp and the purchase of windows. I know.
I'm running OSX Lion with Parallels and Windoze 7 (per EcoTech's recommendation) on my Macbook Pro and it works great.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 08:30 AM   #127
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Excellent!

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 11:21 AM   #128
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRockerLive View Post
Here's what the inside looks like:

From this picture, aren’t the heatsinks really small for that amount of LEDs? isn't that going to shorten the life of the LEDs?

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 11:28 AM   #129
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
From this picture, aren’t the heatsinks really small for that amount of LEDs? isn't that going to shorten the life of the LEDs?
It is a vague photo. The heatsink could run the entire length of the raised channel beneath the fan.

Ecotech said they ran heat tests in a sealed box and there were no issues.

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 03:38 PM   #130
SkullV
They Got My Number

I already placed my pre-order for a pair of these fixtures, but since you said you would be answering questions today I pulled together the most relevant since your last answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Tim et. al,

What kind of reliability/heat/spectrum shift testing have you done with running the XP-G at 5w? I'm mostly sold, but the prospect of the diode not dealing with the heat long term (50k hours?) is the only think still keeping me on the fence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrha View Post
any suggestions for a tank-mount option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
OK, I was sitting in bed all night trying to figure out a solution for my tank. Assuming I can rotate each LED cluster 90 degrees in the hood (which looks possible from the exterior), would I be wrong in thinking I would narrow the beam pattern roughly 12" while picking up another foot length wise? It looks like each kidney shaped element has a 2' spread lengthwise and roughly 1' wide width wise? Is this a correct assumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Also, how are the heat sinks accessed for cleaning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGI View Post
Is the power supply for the Radion separate or is it somewhere inside the housing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagio View Post
Can anybody answer to my questions - I can find that informations:

This PAR reading was made:
- in the air
- in the water
- what about distance between PAR meter and ligth unit?
I think that is VERY important when you compare this two brands.
Thanks!!

Belagio
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Marine View Post
Just want to let everyone know I'll be addressing questions later today or this afternoon.

Unread 09/15/2011, 03:40 PM   #131
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The size of the heat sinks don't determine the life expectancy of the LEDs, however the heat generated at the junction point does. Despite it's small stature, our fixture is capable of maintaining temperatures below the manufacturer's maximum rated specifications for the LED's in up to a 100deg environment. However we only claim up to 90deg in order to include a margin for safety. This means that so long as your room stays below 90deg your LED's will continue to operate at max capacity.

Further, the LED temperatures are actively monitored by our driver and in the event that the conditions become too hot for the LED's, the Radion will automatically dim the LED's to a safe level (reducing the current), preserving your LED's and alerting you that your light may need attention. In the extreme case it will shut down the LED's and blink red letting you know an error occurred.

Also realize that this test data collected by us was with all LED's at 100% max power, which equates to approximately 10k color temperature. If you run the fixture at cooler temps the red and green will be dimmed slightly and the total heat produced will be less.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
EcoTech Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 03:45 PM   #132
SkullV
They Got My Number

Also, and I may have just missed this, but what kind of warranty will this fixture come with?

Unread 09/15/2011, 03:58 PM   #133
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I already placed my pre-order for a pair of these fixtures, but since you said you would be answering questions today I pulled together the most relevant since your last answer
Thank you!!! You just saved me a lot of time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV
Tim et. al,

What kind of reliability/heat/spectrum shift testing have you done with running the XP-G at 5w? I'm mostly sold, but the prospect of the diode not dealing with the heat long term (50k hours?) is the only think still keeping me on the fence.
There will be no reliability/heat/spectrum issues because we maintain the LED's below their maximum thermal threshold as specified by Cree. Most others do not run their LED's above 3w each not because of the danger in doing this (it's officially recognized by Cree to be acceptable for their XP-G's) but because it requires higher driving current within the drive circuitry which is difficult or expensive to design/manufacture. Running an XP-G at 3w is actually more analogous to under-driving them than running them at 5w is to over-driving them.

We designed our driver completely on our own, without any off-the-shelf integrated drive circuitry and therefore could pursue whichever route we wanted for the Radion. Building a driver that can run these higher currents also enables us to run higher current LED's such as the XM-L series, in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrha
any suggestions for a tank-mount option?
Not at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl
OK, I was sitting in bed all night trying to figure out a solution for my tank. Assuming I can rotate each LED cluster 90 degrees in the hood (which looks possible from the exterior), would I be wrong in thinking I would narrow the beam pattern roughly 12" while picking up another foot length wise? It looks like each kidney shaped element has a 2' spread lengthwise and roughly 1' wide width wise? Is this a correct assumption?
The beam from the Radion is more or less exactly square, but you could gain a small amount of coverage in the axis of your choice by rotating the fixture so both clusters are on the axis which you wish to have wider spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak
Also, how are the heat sinks accessed for cleaning?
The Radion can be fully disassembled with a #2 screw driver and three allen key's however this is not required to clean the heat sink/fans. To clean the cooling chamber simply blow air with an air duster can into the heat fins from the side or up through the fan and wipe down the fan surface with a cloth filled with rubbing alcohol. We recommend periodic maintenance based on your operating environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGI
Is the power supply for the Radion separate or is it somewhere inside the housing?
Yes, it is housed within a separate gloss-white powder coated enclosure. The cable for the Radion is 10' long and has a removable connector which attaches to the power supply housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagio
Can anybody answer to my questions - I can find that informations:

This PAR reading was made:
- in the air
- in the water
- what about distance between PAR meter and ligth unit?
I think that is VERY important when you compare this two brands.
In the air, 12" from the center point of the fixture, in a black body enclosure measuring 36x36". At MACNA, at the bottom of a 60x24x24" saltwater filled aquarium, we recorded minimum PAR readings of approximately 220 using an Apogee PAR meter. Three Radions were used above this tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero
No, answered this above.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
Unread 09/15/2011, 03:59 PM   #134
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Also, and I may have just missed this, but what kind of warranty will this fixture come with?
One year on the fixture, two years on the LED clusters. Should a fan need replacement down the road they'll be under $20/ea and easily available through our parts store.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/15/2011, 04:06 PM   #135
Bellagio
Registered Member

Great answers, thanks!
I have one more:
How high is "normal"(operate) temperature of that unit working on power setted to 100%? Can you give us any information about this fan(speed, noise, cfm)? This temperature is possible to see for customers(it could help to diagnose that unit have to be cleaned due to poor ventilation/dust inside). What maximum temperature you have measured under tests?
About fan noise:
It possible to hear fan from 2m for example?
About PAR and leds:
This leds are equipped with any type of focusing lenses? Or they are only shielded?(with default cree lens)?
Which PAR meter was used in this measurment?(it was calibrated for sunlight?)
And last one - LED chip are assembled to metal core pcb. It possible to change single led(like in Maxpect fixture)? What if one single led will die - lamp have to be send to service - or you will send a new mcpcb?
I think that is very important - because if somebody will not have a temporary lamp - it could be difficult to stay without light...
Thank you for your reply again!
And - why this units are much more expensive in Europe?(750,00 Euro? -as I found on Coralsands.de)..
Bad...

Belagio

Last edited by Bellagio; 09/15/2011 at 04:20 PM.
Bellagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 04:06 PM   #136
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Another point- within the next week or so we will have much more detailed information about the light including videos and more concrete specs. The initial spectra and PAR graph are left with little data intentionally because we are still preparing the final and full information to provide.

To those who asked which spectrum is the correct one, the correct spectrum is below, a calculation error was made on the initial spectrum released:

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/15/2011, 04:17 PM   #137
Bellagio
Registered Member

Ok, I understand . Spectrum reading is clear for me now.
Thank you.

Bellagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 05:17 PM   #138
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
I've preordered two units and I have a couple of questions.

1) What is the distance between the center of one led cluster on one fixture to the center of the parallel cluster on the 2nd fixture using the connected hanging kit? The hanging kit looks like it creates a fixed distance between the fixtures. Because of the spires in my tank, I need to make sure they are spread wide enough so that the far sides of the spires receive light.

2) How do the moonlights work? Do they follow the lunar cycle?

3 ) The app being used to control the lights at MACNA, is that available to the public?
Still looking to have these questions answered.

Unread 09/15/2011, 09:43 PM   #139
125mph
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey med! Can't wait to see your setup with the Radions... man im jealous, i got 4 of the AIs on mine, maybe 3 radions would look good on my setup!!! Although theres nothing wrong with my AIs, but I always like the newest stuff hehe

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2011, 01:25 AM   #140
MedRed
Registered Member

Ha ha... if you're ever in LA, I'll have you over to see what they look like. lol

Unread 09/16/2011, 06:50 AM   #141
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Marine View Post
Another point- within the next week or so we will have much more detailed information about the light including videos and more concrete specs. The initial spectra and PAR graph are left with little data intentionally because we are still preparing the final and full information to provide.

To those who asked which spectrum is the correct one, the correct spectrum is below, a calculation error was made on the initial spectrum released:

Tim,

First I want to thank you for answering the questions presented above and spending time with us hobbyist on this important topic.

I have a question, how long has EcoTech spent R & D-ing this unit and how long have you been running them in test programs, etc. (i.e.: working bugs out, etc.)?

Many thanks again...........

Unread 09/16/2011, 07:03 AM   #142
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:

1) What is the distance between the center of one led cluster on one fixture to the center of the parallel cluster on the 2nd fixture using the connected hanging kit? The hanging kit looks like it creates a fixed distance between the fixtures. Because of the spires in my tank, I need to make sure they are spread wide enough so that the far sides of the spires receive light.

2) How do the moonlights work? Do they follow the lunar cycle?

3 ) The app being used to control the lights at MACNA, is that available to the public?
1) approximately 7-8"

2) The moonlight programming is still in the works but you'll be able to dim the blue to whatever intensity you'd like and then select whether you do or don't wish for it to follow a lunar cycle. However, the lunar aspect of the night cycle will not necessary be out at launch. Some features will be updated later.

3) This was a demo-only app run on a touch screen for the show. The production software will be different and as soon as we're able to show screen shots and instructions we will!

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/16/2011, 09:37 AM   #143
Arkayology
Registered Member

How many radions would I need for a 24''x24''x24'' cube with sps in the middle to upper half of the tank and zoas in the bottom half? I read that they have a 24''x24'' coverage, but the PAR distribution graph you have presented leads me to wonder if I would be able to get the PAR my sps would need near the sides of the tank if I didn't have the fixture at 100%.

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2011, 04:30 PM   #144
geomanolo
Registered Member

One more question
I have a tank 48" x 31" ( elos 120 xl ) full sps dominated.
My current setup is 8x54 t5.
Would you use 2 or 3 radions for this tank , and would you put them horizontal or vertical ..??
Thanks in advance

geomanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2011, 10:34 PM   #145
drhurtado
Registered Member

72 x 30 x 27 250G mixed tank how many modules

any special features like storm, etc

how will if be wirelessly connected to MP's if those are not pc controlled?

drhurtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 06:24 AM   #146
chercm
Registered Member

how to hang or does it have fixture like maxspect ?

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 06:37 AM   #147
redbaronred
Registered Member

Hello Tim, How many radion is needed for my 48"x 25" tank full sps

Current Tank Info: 120x65x50h cm, BK 180 mini, MP40ES, Illumagic 90C Led, Bubble Magus T01-T02

Last edited by redbaronred; 09/17/2011 at 06:46 AM.
redbaronred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 10:21 AM   #148
MedRed
Registered Member

I really love the flexibility of the Aqua Illumination fixtures for the light settings. I have a question on functionality.

This is an example of my light cycle (I'm actually using higher intensities now.)

Time: 06:00 am | W:01% BL:05% RY:05% | Ramp Duration: 30 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 07:00 am | W:10% BL:20% RY:20% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 09:00 am | W:20% BL:30% RY:30% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 11:00 am | W:30% BL:40% RY:40% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 13:00 pm | W:20% BL:30% RY:30% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 16:00 pm | W:10% BL:20% RY:20% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 19:00 pm | W:01% BL:10% RY:10% | Ramp Duration: 30 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 22:00 pm | W:00% BL:04% RY:04% | Ramp Duration: 30 mins | Lunary Cycle: On

It's really broken down into:

Time: 06:00 am | W:01% BL:05% RY:05% | Ramp Duration: 30 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off For my viewing pleasure just to have light in the morning without really having a lot of light
Time: 07:00 am | W:10% BL:20% RY:20% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 09:00 am | W:20% BL:30% RY:30% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 11:00 am | W:30% BL:40% RY:40% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 13:00 pm | W:20% BL:30% RY:30% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
Time: 16:00 pm | W:10% BL:20% RY:20% | Ramp Duration: 59 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off
My actual light cycle
Time: 19:00 pm | W:01% BL:10% RY:10% | Ramp Duration: 30 mins | Lunary Cycle: Off For my viewing pleasure to see into the tank for awhile just in case the lunar lights are dim or completely out for the new moon
Time: 22:00 pm | W:00% BL:04% RY:04% | Ramp Duration: 30 mins | Lunary Cycle: On Lunar Cycle

With the Radions, would it be possible for me to:
Set a morning % of blue and white only on the “custom” setting and have it ramp into
an actual daytime cycle that is running in “natural” mode using all of the LED colors then dim into
my a night viewing time slot in “custom” mode using blue and white only and finally go into
moonlights that follow the actual lunar cycle?

Unread 09/17/2011, 10:48 AM   #149
cmfowden5150
Registered Member

For those of us (or maybe just me) that are just learning about Led's will there be default settings or is everything custom? The more I read this thread the more I can't wait for you to release cad lights shipment so I can get mine. The tank showed up yesterday now all I need is the light.

cmfowden5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 11:13 AM   #150
reefsurfing
Registered Member

Tim,

I really have to ask since I preordered and no one seems to have an idea of when but will we see these units shipping out soon?

Thanks for the good communication on the product; I know your getting slammed with questions along with running a company, much appreciated.

AJ

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote