Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2018, 04:53 PM   #1
gsiegel
Registered Member

Gem tang....do I??

300g mixed reef. Already have well established purple (4 inch) and chevron (5 inch) tangs as well as blue hippo, naso, and desjardins.

All live in harmony. I can add a 4 or 6 inch gem tang. Obvious concern is the purple and chevron, but I have heard the gem can hold its own and after some initial jockeying would be ok. Any expert thoughts? If you think it is ok would you add the 4 or 6 inch gem tang?

Thanks! Happy reefing!!

300g mixed reef-BlueHippo/Midas&bicolorBenny/2FlameHawks/CoralBeauty/MagFoxFace/spotted rabbit/BlondNaso/2clowns/PurpleTang/chevron tang/2lyretails/wrasses-pintail,2flame,lineatus,radiant,pink margin,
gsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Fish559
Registered Member

Get it

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 08:39 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

I do think the Purple and Chevron would likely pose an issue and it would be an expensive gamble since both are very territorial tangs. If you really want the Gem and want to mitigate the risks, I would pull the Chevron and Purple tang out and put them in QT and then add them back a few weeks to a month after adding the Gem. That or you could rearrange the rocks in the tank but I’d remove those two before adding the Gem. Even then, Purples and Chevrons can be very agressive so you’d still be taking a bit of a risk but you’d be reducing them significantly by reestabliling the hierarchy.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 11:46 AM   #4
smatter
Registered Member

I've never really understood the appeal. An old client of mine back in the Nineties had seven of them in her tank. She offered me one as a gift and I declined. I didn't want to be beholden to Roxanne.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Joe0813
Registered Member

What slief said

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 01:54 AM   #6
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I had 9 yellow, purple, Achilles, Hippo and Chevron when I added a black and a gem into the 400 at the same time. They went in and everything went smoothly.

The more fish you have the more chaos and the less aggression.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 09:14 PM   #7
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post

The more fish you have the more chaos and the less aggression.

Dave B
I have no idea why this made me giggle, but it did. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote