Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2014, 06:55 PM   #26
swhobbie1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireefman View Post
they are a great addition, especially if you sre sble to get some of the neon green, but as stated they can be a nusence... control them and they are a sweet addittion
+1 as said by others they will grow fast covering rocks, tank walls ... don't let them reach any rock you don't want them on. They also grow up in spikes when they approach other corals too. I've had them push over mushrooms, monti's. I've scraped them off rocks and new polyps show up from very small scrapings of purple left on the rock. I have rock in the garage and was worried if I ever use it they'd grow back... I'm guessing them probably will.

swhobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 07:11 PM   #27
pcriv3833
Registered Member

I have those green polyps too and have no problem with them. Mine trippled in size in the 6 weeks I've had them. But then again....my nitrate level is a tad high. About 40ppm. It doesnt seem to hurt any of the coral or fish. Maybe that particular coral DOES like slightly dirtier water?

pcriv3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 07:41 PM   #28
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdiggy View Post
I have been told there are 2 kinds. I have the neon ones. As they spread the stuff that spreads and makes them comes in 2 colors. Purple or pink. Pink grows faster but, they are not as neon as the purple. Mine grow decently fast.
I would call the base tissue of both of mine purple, but I do have two separate types. One has neon green polyps and the other has mint green polyps. The mint green ones are a bit smaller overall.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 10:50 AM   #29
3dees
Registered Member

I added a three inch rock covered in neons about six months ago. it is on the sand bed away from the other rocks. it's now about seven inches and I just moved it further away as it was only about a half inch from the rocks. I may have to frag it soon.

3dees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2014, 03:59 PM   #30
cathyr
Registered Member

The 6 g nano is my rehab tank with compact lights. My main tank is a 30g with the nano sol lights at half strength. Everything seems to grow better in the 6g. Not sure what else to do

cathyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 05:22 AM   #31
Slotz00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deton8it View Post
I can't keep Kenya Trees or Xenia. I can keep a clam no problem though. My water is always too clean.

John
If you are in or around Central CT or New Haven the next time I groom my pulsating xenia you are welcome to some trimmings.

This is an open invite........

I was shipped some GSP as a pack but was supposed to be Zooa's so we shall see how that goes.

Scott

Slotz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 11:51 AM   #32
Registered Member

if it's a bright purple it will be bright metalic green under blue lights. It's very easy. All my GSP resides in a section of my sump

1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2014, 12:41 PM   #33
lostintheocean
Registered Member

yes, fast, no

lostintheocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:34 PM   #34
funnyshroom
Registered Member

Different water quality

Ya I have these polyps under LED now and are doing well. They are not in my dirty tank as I call it with my xenia which are under halide light but I will frag some and try it there. By the way I know this post is old but its the newest one I can find on this topic as well the search engine is down.

I have the new 5012 ti evergrow lights and you really need to watch these lights. They are fantastic but I don't recommend going over 40% with any of the channels as it is very powerful and my corals do just great under max 40% at 1pm and down to 1% at night before they go off at 10 pm finally under moonlight. These lights are 12" above the water as well and reach the bottom very well. The tank is 90 gal 22 inch high.

These green polyps came out the same day I have put them in and are doing well;

Parameters;

Salinity 1.023
Alkalinity 9-10 dkh
Calcium 410
PH 7.8 - 8.1
Iodate = <.03
Iodide = <.03
Magnesium 1400
Nitrates 0 -5ppm
Ammonia - 0
Phosphates 0 = 5ppm

Water changes 1 time per month, 15-20% thats it. I rely on my skimmer doing its job and remember if you have RO water and are topping that up frequently that is new water in the tank. Saves on salt.

funnyshroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2016, 12:35 PM   #35
roberthu526
Registered Member

My GSP used to grwo quite fast when I have over 10 PPM nitrate in my tank. But now my tank has 0 nitrate and phosphate, its growth has slowed down significantly. I feel that this is the kind of coral just like xenia that likes dirty water. My xenia actually started dying after I aimed for ULN system.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 03:52 PM   #36
10Seconds
Registered Member

I love the look of this covering the overflow boxes on the back of my tank. Takes the unnatural aspect away.

10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, coral, lps, polyps, soft coral