Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2008, 12:29 PM   #76
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Great actuators. I designed a lift system for my light rack around one. The actuator will move a force multiplied pulley system. 1 inch of travel on the actuator will give me 5 inches of travel on the rack.

I have yet to complete the project because I am rethinking the lighting configuration and may incorporate a light mover to the rack.

The silly idea is to have the sun acatually rise and set... stupid but fun I guess.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 09:34 PM   #77
easttn
Premium Member

I'm here brothers

Try to assemble the System we agreed to. It was developed to the parameters we agreed to. I see meddling before initial connectivity, newb mistake men! Stay the course!

Changes are fine, but I won't get in a quagmire of initial requirements to new needs- THEY ALWAYS TEND TO CONFUSE THE PLAYERS.

Gresham and Chris, you both have the same S/W baseline, the same Revision, same Touch screens & app, and the same OP-Code - both in S/W and H/w. You are both at where I am - if you don't see this as truth - plz post message here.

All future changes will occur within this thread to assist others.

If you guys do not have what you need (Ex. TP070 S/w clue me in. It is buried in MicroWin 4,0.)

Initial apps, pinouts and controls are developed......lets have a forum boys.

C'mon you wankers, free will-----------

Chaz-man

HONOR.......Simply put, A VETERAN - whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "Up to and including my life." That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that. --Author Unknown--

Current Tank Info: Maintenance Free
easttn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2008, 10:50 PM   #78
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

No worries Charles. Dont get scared, LOL. I always have the original copy backed up if I do too much damage
I'll post a new thread once I get my panel going so not to step on this one. CMon Gresh, who's going to win this slow race?

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2008, 12:52 PM   #79
lisaFL
Moved On

bump

lisaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2009, 01:10 AM   #80
ron69
Registered Member

Any updates on this?
I am very intersted in this! I am an electrical engineering student and will be studying plc's next semester. I'm going to start searching for the equipment right now. This would be great for my tank, and might help me get a jump on my next classes.

Any pointers on the best place to find good used parts? For now I gues im off to ebay.

Thanks,
Ron

ron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2009, 01:20 AM   #81
Icefire
Seasoned reefer

I'll start a thread soon as I'm finishing a GE Fanuc PLC for my reef.

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 120lbs live rocks, Hydra52 2x120W, 2 MP40+ 1 MP10 @ 70%, Phosban 550 GFO+Carbon, 200W Heater, SWC Skimmer, Kalk ATO, 150 gpd RODI
Icefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 03:12 PM   #82
Tampico96
Registered Member

Im starting a nano plc project. Did I miss a listing of the probes and source for the probes that you used? Would it be possible to post?

Tampico96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2009, 11:16 AM   #83
IronMdnX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by easttn
Thread 1

Thread 2

Good luck all.
2nd link doesn't work

IronMdnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 07:56 AM   #84
E.T.H
Registered Member

My tank is also running on a siemens plc with touch panel

Look for the pics for some impression

the top switchboard is using for the streamers and ventilation of the technical room.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Herschaalde kopie van DSC01436.jpg (38.6 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Herschaalde kopie van DSC01437.jpg (63.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Herschaalde kopie van DSC01434.jpg (46.2 KB, 273 views)
E.T.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 12:57 PM   #85
H20ENG

Welcome ETH!
We need to talk!!! I have the same TP and really want to get it up and running.
I want to hear more about your controls- they are beautiful!
Very nice work there.
Chris

Unread 12/31/2009, 02:12 PM   #86
easttn
Premium Member

Yea Chris! Hope you have a happy and automated New Year!

HONOR.......Simply put, A VETERAN - whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "Up to and including my life." That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that. --Author Unknown--

Unread 12/31/2009, 03:26 PM   #87
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

wow... you never know who will crawl out from under a rock!

Unread 01/01/2010, 01:21 AM   #88
easttn
Premium Member

Dude, I've been soaring above the clouds. I swooped down to wish all my old R3CA buds a happy holiday.

Unread 01/01/2010, 11:26 AM   #89
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Happy New Year easttn

Hope to see you more often!

Unread 01/01/2010, 11:29 AM   #90
easttn
Premium Member

My twins are in college, no reefer $$, I will lurk and return. U ever get your LEDs up and running?

Unread 01/01/2010, 12:13 PM   #91
H20ENG

Hey Charles! Good to see you buddy!!

Unread 01/01/2010, 12:29 PM   #92
easttn
Premium Member

U 2 my good frined, glad to start the New Year talking about PLCs.

Unread 01/01/2010, 12:35 PM   #93
H20ENG

Funny Charles, I was just talking to Gresh the other day too. Been far too busy to play with any of my own toys. But its good, lots of people with no work so cant complain.

Love your sig line too. Happy New Year!

Unread 06/05/2010, 06:18 PM   #94
easttn
Premium Member

Hello old friends! Still have the kids in school (thank god), just touching base. Any of u bums start/complete the project? Guess I'll start playing with PLCs again.

Unread 06/07/2010, 12:25 PM   #95
Runner
Registered Member

Howdy, Charles. Good to see you around again.

I have an old Koyo PLC (DL205) I was looking to put into use on my tank. I'll post when I get that going in a few months.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Current Tank Info: 24G Reef cube with Cree LED DIY Retrofit
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2010, 04:15 PM   #96
Halmotors
Moved On

Wow, if there's one thing this forum does to me, it's make me humble. I thought I was a huge fish nerd before I found this forum, but threads like this prove to me that's not the case. Keep up the awesome work guys, and keep inspiring all of us!

Halmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2012, 02:00 PM   #97
dread240
Registered Member

I was originally going to use a schneider PLC system (I'm certified through cummins and have concept and all the modbus connectors for it) but ended up going arduino since other people were asking about it.

Funny part is, now I'm working in arduino and getting confused LOL

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 02:12 PM   #98
Squiddy
Premium Member

Icefire, hows that GE Fanuc coming?

Squiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 11:48 PM   #99
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread240 View Post
I was originally going to use a schneider PLC system (I'm certified through cummins and have concept and all the modbus connectors for it) but ended up going arduino since other people were asking about it.

Funny part is, now I'm working in arduino and getting confused LOL
The first comtrolers I worked on were based on 8080 and 6800 Chips. Programing was done in basic machine code. Completly different code for different chip bases.

Then I worked with much more advanced systems where programing was done in C code. And you have a centeral computer talking to half a dozen on board micro computers each performng there won tasks in unison. Think about the complexity of a MRI system in a hospital.

My last few jobs I got to work on Industrial equipment using AB Rockwell PLC's, Seimens, and several other off brands. But every system had its unique differences. What yuou learned on one was a good bases to help understand others but you had to addopt there there uniquenss. Some times it was easy other times it was difficult.

I have not played with them a few years now since I retired but I'm getting some unique ideas. Lots of my thoughts from some of these threads is why make things so complicated? Many of the functions we are working with in Reefs could be handled much cheaper without PLC's and using simple stand alone Logic circuits. We are not doing any complex math equasions with the PLC's but insted running simple monitoring like if A exceeds a set point turn Device B off if A falls below X level turn device B on.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2012, 05:53 AM   #100
easttn
Premium Member

True, true TropTrea; the whole reason I did this was just to see if it could be done. Back when this thread originated, there was a considerable number of folks wondering if I were possible. I also did it cause I'm lazy; the end game was to develop something to monitor the chemistry and adjust as necessary. My tank nuked before I got that far due to a freak set of circumstances. Anyway..

I hope it has helped some. Gresh, u still on here?