Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2013, 02:16 PM   #1
llandegfedd
Registered Member

Trigger (Xanthichthys sp.) fish compatability

We are upgrading to a 202G system, 168G Display tank.

We want a trigger of the Genus Xathichthys, it will be in a reef with inverts, though that is not where my question lies.

We have some little fish.

Ones of concern are:

Group of little barnacle blennies, 1.5<2" max.
Yellow clown goby @1.5" max. at the minute he is about an inch.

The blennies I don't think will be much of an issue, as they are not open water swimmers, of which I don't think a planktonic feeder would be interested in. Furthermore they are very quick.

The clown goby however, he is a very bold character and nothing phases him, not a 5" foxace or a 3" tomini tang either (which is quite a bold character). The clown goby swims out quite a bit, especially during feeding times.

Noting that the clown goby has a defence mechanism of secreting toxic mucus, that is supposed to be recognised by other fish.

I am unsure as to whether the trigger would be likely to take a bite out of either. He will also be kept very well fed to avoid any temptation, a good supply of mussels will be provided, along with a very varied diet.

Any help provided would be much appreciated. I would also note that I would appreciate if those with the experience of triggers were to comment alone. This is due to the fact that I myself can search on the internet (and have) and I also don't want to get myth passed along, as that thought would always remain in mind and could create a lot of anxiousness as to whether the fish would have been eaten by the time I come home.

Thanks, Ben

llandegfedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2013, 02:48 PM   #2
jaybfresh
Pitcher Hill Reef Society

I don't believe there is much of a risk. I had a bluejaw with a pair of tiny clownfish along with several other fish and he had no interest in bothering anything. I don't think fish are part of Xanthichthys trigger's natural diet.

The bluejaw was my favorite fish.

Current Tank Info: 80g shallow mixed reef
jaybfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2013, 03:46 PM   #3
llandegfedd
Registered Member

I thought that too, but just wanted some kind of reassurance.

Still unsure as which trigger I would like to go with, the sargassum or the blue throat.

llandegfedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2013, 09:06 PM   #4
jaybfresh
Pitcher Hill Reef Society

The blue jaw was an availability based decision. I haven't seen many Sagassum triggers locally but I do prefer their look.

Current Tank Info: 80g shallow mixed reef
jaybfresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnacle blenny, clown goby, predation, trigger