Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Blaze601
Registered Member

First salt tank

Just started to cycle my new 32 led biocube. Cycle is 2 weeks in so far so good. Going to wait about 13 weeks for fish. My question is would a shrimp,goby, anenomi, soft coral and 2 clown be too much for this size tank. Plan on shrimp first to start to clean. The add something else about every 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks for any tips.

Blaze601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 07:27 AM   #2
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

No, not too many, but I would wait at a minimum one year for the anemone. Are you looking for a shrimp/goby pair? There are a ton of different shrimp out there, you'd want to make sure they're species that will pair up if that's what you're looking for. All of them will help with cleaning up left over food, but your big cleaners are snails and if you want crabs at all I'd only go with crimson leg reef hermit crabs.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2019, 07:56 AM   #3
Blaze601
Registered Member

Thanks much for the tip on the anemone. Aleady have snails. Must have been eggs or hichhikers on my live rock. Cant believe the are surviving. I yes want a shrimp goby that will get along. Would like a yellow watchman. Any thought on which shrimp would be a good friend for him.

Blaze601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2019, 12:17 PM   #4
rockhead51
Registered Member

I have a BC32 LED as well. I have 2 occy clowns, a dwarf angel (cherub), an orchid Dotty back, and a Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Pistol Shrimp pair. Plus an emerald crab, four hermits, two astrea snails, two ninja star snails, and four nassarius snails. No issues with compatibility. Have left the tank alone for a week on vacation with ATO and autofeed. Weekly water and filter floss changes and purigen, carbon, and phosguard in the back. I also run a small ball of chaeto in the back to soak up nutrients.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2019, 10:01 PM   #5
scattered
Registered Member

13 weeks is a great amount of time to let your tank stabilize before adding fish. That attitude is a great indicator of your potential for future success. I'm going to update my build thread and admit to going off my own timeline and adding vertebrates 4 weeks before I planned in a moment.

How did you cycle? You said you have hitchhiker snails which means you have good live rock, was it already cured or is that what you are doing at this point?

For what it is worth I am going to have a similar bio-load in my 13.5G. It seems like a lot of people in my tank platform (Fluval EVO XII) go skimmer free but for now I will keep skimming along with doing ~10% water changes weekly. I do not use any of the supplemental phosphate 'sponges'. I keep macro in display and have foam, carbon, and rock rubble in the second chamber of my overflow. I will add chaeto when I can find some locally. That is my means of excessive phosphate mitigation.