Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 06/20/2010, 09:25 AM   #1651
dan223
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowermanKW View Post
My PO4 has gone down from .015 when my GFO is exhausted to zero.... can just barely distinguish a blue tint.... below .008.
You have a test kit that goes down to .008? What is the accuracy?

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:07 AM   #1652
dan223
Custom User Title

I looked at the kit, its detection limit only goes down to .023 po4. You are reading P vs. PO4, PO4 is what everyone goes by. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1820112

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:14 AM   #1653
daveonbass
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
boy oh boy I saw that post coming a mile away.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Unread 06/20/2010, 12:37 PM   #1654
Tony Romano
Registered Member

I believe at start up one could use too much pellet media. Reducing nutrients too fast may kill some corals. sps is also sensative to this and may bleach or STN or RTN.

I tend to be over aggressive when working on this. Changing carbon more often, changing ZEO rock, adding GFO. Corals either love it of pop off!

Generally it is weak LPS corals, as well as Monti and Stylo sp corals.

Why don't I have any money?

Current Tank Info: 215 & 90 mixed tanks
Unread 06/20/2010, 10:46 PM   #1655
steevareno2002
Registered Member

Can I use the biopellets in a HOB Aquaclear filter?

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:57 PM   #1656
daveonbass
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with that HOB filter...but I'm sure there could be a way to utilize it successfully. But having said that it would probably not be easier than getting a dedicated reactor for them.

on a different note. Tomorrow is one week since my large water changes brought the no3 down from 80+ to around 20. And I'm happy to report that it's stayed there for a week. May not seem like a big deal...but for me it means that I finally haven't had a RISE in NO3 in a week. Maybe they are starting to work.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Unread 06/20/2010, 11:03 PM   #1657
steevareno2002
Registered Member

I don't have a sump so either the HOB filter or an HOB canister filter?

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:50 PM   #1658
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
Ya... I always do that. It gives numbers for both but I always seem to fixate on the top. Anyway... the .008 and .015 are different spots and properly stated it would be .024 and .045 respectively. Thanks for catching that.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
Unread 06/21/2010, 04:31 AM   #1659
rutz81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Romano View Post
I believe at start up one could use too much pellet media. Reducing nutrients too fast may kill some corals. sps is also sensative to this and may bleach or STN or RTN.

I tend to be over aggressive when working on this. Changing carbon more often, changing ZEO rock, adding GFO. Corals either love it of pop off!

Generally it is weak LPS corals, as well as Monti and Stylo sp corals.
Agree 100%. I started with 500ml for my tank and think I should have gone a bit less to begin with, then added teh rest a few weeks later. A few of my corals defintely got stressed when I introduced the pellets, some are still recovering from the bleached/dry look, while others looked fine all along.

Unread 06/21/2010, 05:59 AM   #1660
StarF
Registered Member

Hi i am gonna try these on my system, i read that people recomend that you have the reacotr before the skimmer, how ever i only got place for mine after the skimmer, will this be a problem?

Unread 06/21/2010, 06:56 AM   #1661
rutz81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarF View Post
Hi i am gonna try these on my system, i read that people recomend that you have the reacotr before the skimmer, how ever i only got place for mine after the skimmer, will this be a problem?
They won't really work like they're supposed to. You may have PH issues, the output of the pellets really should be as close to the inlet of the skimmer as possible.

This is not from experience, since I have always had mine near the input, I'm just going by what other people have posted, some reporting cloudy water(bacteria bloom), others PH problems, etc. First question asked, usually is: Is the outlet of the pellets next to the skimmer?

Unread 06/21/2010, 09:06 AM   #1662
StarF
Registered Member

alright i will find a hose and make the filter dump the water near skimmer.

the ones i got, seems to be the new formular, they are smaller, and dont seem to be doing the dancing like the small white balls did, any one here tryed the new ones?

i got a newjet 1200 connected to the reactor.

Unread 06/21/2010, 11:27 AM   #1663
StarF
Registered Member

This is how the new ones look, could be my filter is to big, so they lay in a to thin layer.. How important is it that they are constantly moving?

Unread 06/21/2010, 11:38 AM   #1664
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarF View Post
This is how the new ones look, could be my filter is to big, so they lay in a to thin layer.. How important is it that they are constantly moving?
When I started mine it took a couple days for them to start dancing. Just give it a little time and make sure if you're using sponges to replace them with mesh-like plastic material everyones been using. Btw, it's extremely important that they are constantly moving around. If they don't nitrates will rise.

Unread 06/21/2010, 11:55 AM   #1665
takayan
Premium Member

I used ViaAqua reactor. First week was ok to tumble BioPellets enough, but after the second week, the biopellets sit on the bottom of the reactor and no move!! Then, I decided to modify 3L Vertex reactor as BioPellets reactor.

Unread 06/21/2010, 12:14 PM   #1666
StarF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
When I started mine it took a couple days for them to start dancing. Just give it a little time and make sure if you're using sponges to replace them with mesh-like plastic material everyones been using. Btw, it's extremely important that they are constantly moving around. If they don't nitrates will rise.
wouldent sponges get clogged by the bakteria? i will need to make a sponge for my filter... was using a zeovit filter medium, with just plastic with small holes in it.

Last edited by StarF; 06/21/2010 at 12:20 PM.
Unread 06/21/2010, 02:48 PM   #1667
bluereefs
Registered Member

I made few experiment latelly with bp and get some unusual results. I used bp in 3 various reactors in 3 aquariums for 6-7 months already. In main aquarium I had 100 mg/lit nitrates and that was my main goal, to lower those nitrates with bp, I used vodka before in that aquarium and vodka did not lower the nitrates significaly, latter I used high dosage of vodka together with bp and even that was not droped nitrates significaly or steady. I even used 3 diferent reactors together in that aquarium but that also did not lower nitrates significaly, for months.
Until 10-15 days ago when I made some changes to my diy reactor (removed sponges, instal bal valve to get fluidization, washed bp with aquarium water) and then after day or two my aquarium get cloudy, bacterial string was everywhere in the aquarium and nitrates drop dramaticaly, low to 0,2 mg/lit.
I removed that reactor to the third aquarium who had 50 mg/lit nitrates and next day I have bacterial bloom inside the aquarium who completly cloud that aquarium. After 2-3 days I removed the reactor from that aquarium too and water get cleared, nitrates drop to 5 mg/lit in few days.
I washed the bio pellets and reactor in fresh water very, very well and few days latter I install him again on that aquarium, next day I get bacterial bloom again, not so hard like first time but very cloudy.

BTW that was old bio pellets what I use from the begining, 6-7 months already, and not the new bag. So what is that what sudenly initiate bacterial bloom with bio pellets in 2 aquarium even they was used for months without this efect?

I use bp in my diy reactor made from octopus calcium reactor, pump are aprox 1200-1400 lit/hour , aquaclear 4000 from Hagen, is a strong powerhead, bp are tumbling also.

One thing I notice, when I used bp before without "efects" (no dramatic nitrates lowering for months) bio pellets was more brown colour, looked "dry" inside the reactor (can not find better word to explain how they look) but this time (same pellets) look totally white inside the reactor and they are capable to ignite bacterial bloom and lower nitrates in days significaly.

Is really weird IMO that after few months of using sudenly with my diy reactor I get dramatic and totally diferent results at various aquarium in just few days. First time when I get bacterial bloom/cloudines in my main aquarium I thought that was because I used vodka together with bp and that somehow create bacterial bloom, but I removed them on second aquarium and they create bacterial bloom in that aquarium too, even after very detailed washing in freshwater they create bacterial bloom second day after starting.
In same time in my third aquarium are 1000 ml of bp for months in fluid reactor without smallest sign of bacterial bloom or cloudines, also nitrates start to raise in that aquarium.

It look like bp need some ignition, still unknowen to me what is that, who will made them bacterial machine in short period of time.

I am curious, does the reefer who used bio pellets and dont have results (no nitrates drop) have more brown/yellow or white bio pellets inside the reactor?

Unread 06/21/2010, 03:05 PM   #1668
DJREEF
25 & Over Club

It's beginning to sound like you can "over tumble" these things. I suspect that it's possible in some cases that the reactor flow-through can be a bit too aggressive, and literally wash the bacteria off the media at too high a rate, and possibly wash the media off itself into the bulk water (contrary to what the manufacturer claims). I think ideally, there is a sweet spot that you must achieve given the levels of systemic nitrate - esp in situations where high nitrate is concerned.

DJ

Current Tank Info: FOWLR&SPS
Unread 06/21/2010, 03:15 PM   #1669
bluereefs
Registered Member

No IMO, my remarks regarding strong pump is to remove posibility of too weak tumbling and that bacterial bloom come from that. Tumlbing in this diy reactor who create bacterial bloom are not to much diferent then tumbling in original fluid reactor who works for months without bacterial explosion.

Some says that aquarium with high nitrates can cause bacterial bloom and cloudines but I used various reactors in aquarium with high nitrates without that efect for months, I even dose 11 ml of vodka each day together with bp without cloudines.

Unread 06/21/2010, 03:24 PM   #1670
bluereefs
Registered Member

Here are the pictures who can maybe explain better what I talking about.
Here is the bacterial bloom created second day after I moved my diy reactor to this aquarium who had 50 mg/lit nitrates

here is the skimmer picture

That diy reactor made similar bacterial bloom in previous aquarium few days after modification. Until modification he work for months without bacterial explosion, I think I do something what made him bacterial machine but dont know exactly what,lol.

Unread 06/21/2010, 03:33 PM   #1671
DJREEF
25 & Over Club

Dude, that looks like a fricken mess.

DJ

Current Tank Info: FOWLR&SPS
Unread 06/21/2010, 03:42 PM   #1672
bertoni
RC Mod

Wow, that's quite a bacterial bloom, or at least that's what I think it is. I'd watch for signs of oxygen depletion, and consider some large (15%) water changes.

Unread 06/21/2010, 03:43 PM   #1673
jlinzmaier
Premium Member

Regardless of what the flow is inside the reactor, if your getting that significant of a bacterial bloom from changing nothing but adding the BP reactor (AND NOT DOSING ANY OTHER CARBON SOURCES) then that would clearly indicate that the carbon is leaching from the biopellets and inducing bacterial growth throughout the water column.

This may not create such a dramatic effect in other tanks that have lower nitrates as other tanks with lower nitrates would create a situation in which nitrate would become the limiting nutrient as opposed to the carbon source and that might prevent such a dramatic bacterial bloom.

You should really skim wet and monitor your livestock for signs of oxygen depletion becuase these bacterial blooms can significantly drop pH and lower oxygen levels. It would also help to do some ozone injection during these significant bacterial blooms so the ozone can help replenish the depleted o2 levels as the o3 molecules break apart.

Jeremy

Unread 06/21/2010, 03:53 PM   #1674
bluereefs
Registered Member

Yup, it was cleared after few days, no losses on the livestock (one acro frag but she was in bad condition before this bloom). I removed the diy bp reactor day or two after this bacterial bloom, washed the reactor and bp in fresh water, put him back on this aquarium and get bacterial bloom again, not so dramatic like in picture above but water is cloudy.
What puzles me is that I used bp for months without this efect in various aquarium in various reactors, I still use bp in fluid reactor who have similar flow on another aquarium without cloudines and bacterial bloom.
So what is that what sudenly transform this reactor in bacterial machine who can cloud aquariums with bacteria in 24 hours? And was not there aprox 7 last months when I use that same bio pellets.
Maybe diferent design of my diy reactor, open top... ? I will try to take the mowie tomorow to show the diference betwen original fluid reactor tumbling and this one.

Even I do not recomend this dramatic bacterial bloom to anyone, that was only what reduces nitrates for 80-90 % in few days so it can be of use for someone who need fast and dramatic nitrates drop. And posiblly with few tweaking and better understending can be made more preciselly and safe.
I made and still work on that mostly due to experimental reason.

Unread 06/21/2010, 03:59 PM   #1675
mm.reefs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluereefs View Post
No IMO, my remarks regarding strong pump is to remove posibility of too weak tumbling and that bacterial bloom come from that. Tumlbing in this diy reactor who create bacterial bloom are not to much diferent then tumbling in original fluid reactor who works for months without bacterial explosion.

Some says that aquarium with high nitrates can cause bacterial bloom and cloudines but I used various reactors in aquarium with high nitrates without that efect for months, I even dose 11 ml of vodka each day together with bp without cloudines.

How phosphates compared between the tank without bacterial bloom and the other tanks? Can that be the difference???

Very High NO3 + Very High PO4 + Efficient BP = Bacterial Blooms???

Closed Thread