scuzy
Registered Member

Buddies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 08:10 AM   #27
LargeAngels
Premium Member

I've had mine for about 8 years now. I've got it with a bunch of large angels, tangs, wrasses, clowns etc. He will scavenge for what ever food is on the bottom, even pellets. Pretty cool, but usually don't see much besides his head except if he ventures out for food.

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 12:06 PM   #28
Joesvwbora
Registered Member

Just purchased one of these beauty's was so excited when my lfs had Found one. I have a 54 gallon corner and so far so good. It's been pretty shy and has stayed in the same rock and has a a few holes it seems to prefer. It is housed with a serpent starfish, male and female royal gramma, randals goby, coral banded shrimp and a circus goby. The key fear I had was for the circus goby thinking it was a little in the smaller side however the goby is much larger than the eel.
I have noticed when feeding the other fish the eel will come out and snap at some of the frozen food that crosses its path.
It's been pretty hard to photograph but I should be able to get some better ones soon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4746.jpg (68.1 KB, 121 views)
Joesvwbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 12:29 PM   #29
carrots
Registered Member

keep us updated. I have been looking for a bright yellow one for some time now. Let us know if their color changes after they become comfortable in your tank. The ones I have seen at the LFS are very pale. Not sure if it is due to stress or not.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 12:36 PM   #30
Joesvwbora
Registered Member

The one I have is a light ta that would be great if it changed to a yellow i will let you know if the color does start to change .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5172.jpg (79.0 KB, 81 views)
Unread 03/28/2017, 04:15 PM   #31
scuzy
Registered Member

The color changes as they get bigger. Both of mine are noted the danger light gold color. Started off ugly brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 04/03/2017, 11:52 AM   #32
Joesvwbora
Registered Member

Well hadn't seen the eel since last night was getting worried so I did some intensive investigation investigation. Not sure how it made its way to the sump but 20 min of fishing and it is back in its cave in the display. Not sure where the gap in overflow is but I will be looking for a solution.

Unread 04/03/2017, 11:53 AM   #33
scuzy
Registered Member

Use gutter net and glue it you your overflow teethes

Unread 04/03/2017, 11:57 AM   #34
Joesvwbora
Registered Member

That's a good idea during my next water change I'll have to set that up thanks.

Unread 04/29/2017, 07:51 AM   #35
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Picking up one of these locally tomorrow. Had one a long time ago and it was a model citizen for years. Any words of wisdom beyond tight fitting lids? I've nothing in my tank that will be at risk. The CBS is now way too big as are all of my fish. Coming from a LRH, but I shall still QT.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 09:06 AM   #36
scuzy
Registered Member

I quarantine mine in critter cage put it through ttm for both of mine. Just make sure you need the overflow teeth mine escaped to sump 4x until I glue gutter guard nets on the teeth.

Unread 05/04/2017, 08:49 PM   #37
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Mine is now in a 30 QT. Is that very pale yellow pinkish color - not really 'golden' at all. About a foot long. Been feeding it small chunks of silverside and those small hikari clams on the half shell.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 05/04/2017, 09:05 PM   #38
wii64brawl
Registered Member

Had mine in a 30 gallon fish only. Lost the first to carpet surfing (he got through the tiniest crack so seal your openings!), and the second stopped eating one day (after two years of eating fine) and starved to death after several months.

wii64brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2017, 01:42 PM   #39
JJsReeftank28gn
Registered Member

Go to liveaquria.com they have them but there not cheap 799.00 for one.

JJsReeftank28gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2017, 02:17 PM   #40
wii64brawl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsReeftank28gn View Post
Go to liveaquria.com they have them but there not cheap 799.00 for one.
You're much better waiting around for a diver direct eel. I got both mine from a diver in Hawaii, got them for $125 shipped each. They pop up every so often on eBay.

Unread 05/05/2017, 05:30 PM   #41
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Plus the ones LA sells aren't actually the melatremus dwarf eels.

Unread 05/05/2017, 05:53 PM   #42
wii64brawl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Plus the ones LA sells aren't actually the melatremus dwarf eels.
Didn't realize JJs was talking about golden morays and not the dwarfs. Even so, the dwarfs often appear on DD, but are usually around $400-500.

Unread 02/18/2018, 11:05 AM   #43
HBtank
Premium Member

Have had one for about 2 weeks! Love it! Spent so many years in Hawaii and one everpresent game when diving was always who could find moray eels in the reef (almost always snowflakes). Fast forward and the same family will bug me about sneaking in an eel into my tank randomly. Well, jokes on them, finally found an eel that I could sneak in myself!

It is the pale pinkish/yellow with brown spotting variety, and brighter yellow on top of its head and some on the tail. Blue eyes of course. Mine seems fairly mature and “thicker than a pencil” by a good amount, and it is exactly 9.75”.; I and everyone else thought it was larger than 9”, more like a foot, but the pvc in his enclosure let me measure exactly.

Shy right now (from light, I would not say from fish), has a rock picked out in the back of my main cave, but it has holes leading to the front and he is using those now too. Loves krill and eating good now. Smallest fish in with him is a blue reef chromis, but sorry little guy, you just don’t see good enough for that!

I would totally get him a buddy if I could, maybe a bright yellow morph. Already spent a good amount of time eel proofing my canopy and overflow.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 05:58 PM   #44
RBU1
Moving on Up

Let’s bump up this old thread. I’ve had my golden dwarf moray for over a year. Doesn’t bother anything. He only eats once a week sometimes every other. Just a small piece of shrimp. What else have people had success with feeding?

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2019, 06:16 PM   #45
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Mines going strong at about 11 years now. Still eats anything. Funny to see him put his jaw sideways on the sand and pickup small pellets.

Unread 07/23/2019, 06:49 PM   #46
RBU1
Moving on Up

That’s awesome. Mine doesn’t come out to eat that often. Makes me wonder if he is also grabbing pellets. I don’t see him much at all. Always in the rocks.

Unread 07/23/2019, 07:22 PM   #47
LargeAngels
Premium Member

Yeah, I mostly just see a head peeking out. When he’s hungry and I feed mysis I’ll see him slither around the rocks.

Unread 07/23/2019, 07:26 PM   #48
RBU1
Moving on Up

Mine seems to only eat raw
Shrimp I tried other fresh seafood from the grocery store he wouldn’t touch it. Wonder what else I can try.

Unread 07/24/2019, 06:16 AM   #49
LargeAngels
Premium Member

The larger Hikari mysis is a good choice.

Unread 09/25/2019, 01:18 PM   #50
jambon222
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAngels View Post
The larger Hikari mysis is a good choice.
I am feeding mine raw scallops and octopus pieces. I use a feeding stick and he takes it with a lot of excitement. I feed a few small pieces every other day.. too much maybe? Mine does not like raw krill... so far that is all he takes. I try to hide a few pellets in the octopus for some extra nutrition.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jambon222 is offline   Reply With Quote